No actionNo action
137 posts:
Order:    

Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
136 of 137  Wed 8th Apr 2020 4:05pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2332

This is to explain why the area called Trinity Church Yard might not always have had that name. Moved from Spicerstoke topic. The south transept of Holy Trinity is a different size to the north and not true to the rest of the church. I know for a fact that it was substantially rebuilt and shortened (early 1800s). Did it lose some alignment at the same time? There's a temptation to think that the early builders got things wonky but from observation it was more likely to be the later repairs that were out of true. As stated before, the original south transept had a narrow roadway running through it. If I mirror the size of the north transept it works out the right size for the roadway (dotted red lines). Attached to the south transept was the Jesus Hall and to the west of that was the vicarage. I'm not sure if the gap between the church and the vicarage (area X) was as wide as later maps suggest and my sketch might need another building width to the north. Was the remaining space garden, courtyard or burial ground? The vicarage itself was a replacement. Might the first have been parallel with Holy Trinity? Extensive burial grounds are a modern phenomenon, not just because of greater populations but because the original church yards were constantly re-dug. Any bones that were unearthed were either returned to the hole or were collected and stored in the charnel house (St Laurence Crypts under St Michael's). Holy Trinity seems to have shared St Michael's burial ground and only moved onto the land to the north side of Priory Row (formerly St Mary's Priory) in the late 1700s Edited by member, 8th Apr 2020 5:14 pm
Holy Trinity Church and Bell Tower
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
137 of 137  Wed 14th Oct 2020 11:27pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:1496

Kempe window, Holy Trinity
Holy Trinity Church and Bell Tower

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 136 to 137 of 137 posts

Page 10 of 10