No actionNo action
35 posts:
Order:    

Diana47
Bedworth
All posts by this member
31 of 35  Sat 22nd Sep 2018 8:15pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2018  Total posts:2

Courtaulds cricket ground was in the 60s immaculate, the groundsmen knew their stuff. As a member of the social club we were allowed to watch for free. It has declined over the years being used for a Sunday car boot, now sold off for new houses.
Sport, Music and Leisure - Cricket in Coventry (Courtaulds, etc.)
Covvicdavis
Sydney
All posts by this member
32 of 35  Sat 1st Dec 2018 7:21am  
Member: Joined May 2016  Total posts:6

Are there any ex-works teams still playing 20 over competitions in Coventry and surrounds. Used to look forward to Wednesday after work back in 60's. I played for Alfred Herberts, lots of good memories. Thumbs up
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
33 of 35  Wed 18th Sep 2019 6:41pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5672

Very saddened to read here of the death at 89 of Ray Hitchcock, the New Zealander who played for Warwickshire between 1949 and 1964. He was a regular performer in the “good old days” I remember of county games played at Courtaulds Ground. Some great photos in the article. RIP Ray Hitchcock.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
34 of 35  Fri 1st May 2020 4:19pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3850

Midland Red Something for you. 1956 Surrey's crack team of Jim Laker and Tony Lock won the County cricket from ‘52 to ‘58. When the fourth test began at Old Trafford the two teams were level at one match each. The previous evening Jim Laker walked out on the pitch with Don Bradman, retired,now a journalist. “Slow,” he said, “there'll be plenty of runs”. He was dead right - by lunchtime on the second day England had scored 459, Sheppard and Richardson hitting centuries. Australia went into bat, It was said that if 'Laker doesn't get you, Lockie would' but not much happened. Then, May swopped them round, Laker from the Stretford End. He promptly took two wickets, interval, then 7 of the remaining 8 - he left one for Lock. All out for 84, Lakers figures for innings 9 for 37. Then, two days bad weather. Tuesday, Australia survived until lunch, then the sun came out, the pitch went sticky. Australia out for 205, Laker took ten wickets. Match figures 19 for 90. In that summer’s Tests, Laker took 46 wickets. Just two months earlier he had taken ten for 88 against Australia when they played Surrey - what a fantastic double.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
35 of 35  Fri 1st May 2020 7:50pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5672

Kaga, I’m old enough to remember it very well, but thanks for posting it. Thumbs up

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 31 to 35 of 35 posts

Page 3 of 3

1 2 3
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

GPO Coventry Football Team 1930's
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry City FC (The Bantams (aka The Old Five))
You are viewing topics in the Sport, Music and Leisure category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5

Website & counter by Rob Orland © 2020

Load time: 71ms