No actionNo action
85 posts:
Order:    

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
76 of 85  Fri 2nd Feb 2018 2:16am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3203

I wish my mum was still alive, I am sure she would have some interesting tales to tell about Gulson, one being when she was presented with me after giving birth I had a finger all wrapped up and of course she was concerned, the explanation being I had a difficult journey into the world. She had a few visits to Gulson over the years and she never enjoyed any of them. Since then probably why I insisted on having my two at home. Edited by member, 2nd Feb 2018 2:17 am
Local History and Heritage - Gulson Road Hospital
Jackie
Sussex
All posts by this member
77 of 85  Sun 9th Sep 2018 3:13pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2015  Total posts:6

I too was born there in 1949. I also did part of my nurse training there. Worked on female ward and theatres. I remember a strict theatre sister who was a bully to us students. Cannot remember her name. I was there nursing in 1975 then went back there to work on paeds ward in 1980.😀
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
78 of 85  Mon 8th Oct 2018 4:22pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:844

#69 Neil, I like your photos of Gulson Road. The second b&w view has buildings (houses) on the left. I am wondering if they may include Herbert's Row where my great-grandparents lived? It was fairly well up towards the London Road on that side of the photo but it seems a possibility, should anyone know. Edited by member, 8th Oct 2018 5:29 pm
covgirl
wiltshire
All posts by this member
79 of 85  Tue 9th Oct 2018 1:21pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2015  Total posts:63

I have a lot of unhappy memories of Gulson Hospital, not only the dentist. I too have a phobia to this day brought about by smelly rubber masks and being held down while the gas took effect. I also had a thing about needles, vaccinations at Gulson included 4 people dragging me in to get a measles jab. I'm sure I left at least two nails in the door frame, the doctor was furious and told my mother she should "control" me. Even the promise of a lollipop, and a visit to the pet shop, had no effect, I remember slapping the lolly from the nurse's hand and telling them they could keep it. Thankfully things have changed, but I still need at least one gin and tonic before I see a dentist! 😷
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
80 of 85  Tue 9th Oct 2018 3:35pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3203

Only one G & T Covgirl? I need a full gas tank! Roll eyes
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
81 of 85  Wed 10th Oct 2018 8:10am  

On 9th Sep 2018 3:13pm, Jackie said: I too was born there in 1949. I also did part of my nurse training there. Worked on female ward and theatres. I remember a strict theatre sister who was a bully to us students. Cannot remember her name. I was there nursing in 1975 then went back there to work on paeds ward in 1980.😀
Jackie, I don't think she was the only one. As a 5 year old I had an eye test and was overawed by the building, first time I ever entered a hospital. The sister, all starch and uniform, shouted at my mother, "This boy is far too nervous!" Edited by member, 10th Oct 2018 8:11 am
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
82 of 85  Wed 10th Oct 2018 2:30pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1941

Hi Prof Wave I'm pretty sure part of Herberts Row is visible here - between the red crosses - though it was not to be for much longer (it's on the map image you posted). The aerial imagery was taken in 1930 - as you can see here though building was underway for the Hospital/Welfare centre and the row has disappeared when I look at my 1937 map. Edited by member, 10th Oct 2018 6:08 pm
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
83 of 85  Thu 11th Oct 2018 8:13am  

Many thanks Neil. That's great information!
dave owens
california usa
All posts by this member
84 of 85  Fri 12th Oct 2018 2:00am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:49

On 9th Oct 2018 1:21pm, covgirl said: I have a lot of unhappy memories of Gulson Hospital, not only the dentist. I too have a phobia to this day brought about by smelly rubber masks and being held down while the gas took effect.....
I also had the facemask forced on my face by the "dentist", then I was led to bathroom after a tooth extraction, bleeding, and just left alone in shock. Those people were very inhuman.
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
85 of 85  Fri 12th Oct 2018 5:02am  
Member: Joined Aug 2012  Total posts:545

Just a thought . . barbers were also 'dentists' - maybe that is where 'barbarism' originated?

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 76 to 85 of 85 posts

Page 6 of 6

1 2 3 4 5 6
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Maps of Coventry
|

Next (newer) topic

New Cathedral of St Michael