No actionNo action
85 posts:
Order:    

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
76 of 85  Fri 2nd Feb 2018 2:16am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3208

I wish my mum was still alive, I am sure she would have some interesting tales to tell about Gulson, one being when she was presented with me after giving birth I had a finger all wrapped up and of course she was concerned, the explanation being I had a difficult journey into the world. She had a few visits to Gulson over the years and she never enjoyed any of them. Since then probably why I insisted on having my two at home. Edited by member, 2nd Feb 2018 2:17 am
Gulson Road Hospital
Jackie
Sussex
All posts by this member
77 of 85  Sun 9th Sep 2018 3:13pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2015  Total posts:6

I too was born there in 1949. I also did part of my nurse training there. Worked on female ward and theatres. I remember a strict theatre sister who was a bully to us students. Cannot remember her name. I was there nursing in 1975 then went back there to work on paeds ward in 1980.😀
Gulson Road Hospital
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
78 of 85  Mon 8th Oct 2018 4:22pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:849

#69 Neil, I like your photos of Gulson Road. The second b&w view has buildings (houses) on the left. I am wondering if they may include Herbert's Row where my great-grandparents lived? It was fairly well up towards the London Road on that side of the photo but it seems a possibility, should anyone know. Edited by member, 8th Oct 2018 5:29 pm
Gulson Road Hospital
covgirl
wiltshire
All posts by this member
79 of 85  Tue 9th Oct 2018 1:21pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2015  Total posts:63

I have a lot of unhappy memories of Gulson Hospital, not only the dentist. I too have a phobia to this day brought about by smelly rubber masks and being held down while the gas took effect. I also had a thing about needles, vaccinations at Gulson included 4 people dragging me in to get a measles jab. I'm sure I left at least two nails in the door frame, the doctor was furious and told my mother she should "control" me. Even the promise of a lollipop, and a visit to the pet shop, had no effect, I remember slapping the lolly from the nurse's hand and telling them they could keep it. Thankfully things have changed, but I still need at least one gin and tonic before I see a dentist! 😷
Gulson Road Hospital
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
80 of 85  Tue 9th Oct 2018 3:35pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3208

Only one G & T Covgirl? I need a full gas tank! Roll eyes
Gulson Road Hospital
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
81 of 85  Wed 10th Oct 2018 8:10am  

On 9th Sep 2018 3:13pm, Jackie said: I too was born there in 1949. I also did part of my nurse training there. Worked on female ward and theatres. I remember a strict theatre sister who was a bully to us students. Cannot remember her name. I was there nursing in 1975 then went back there to work on paeds ward in 1980.😀
Jackie, I don't think she was the only one. As a 5 year old I had an eye test and was overawed by the building, first time I ever entered a hospital. The sister, all starch and uniform, shouted at my mother, "This boy is far too nervous!" Edited by member, 10th Oct 2018 8:11 am
Gulson Road Hospital
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
82 of 85  Wed 10th Oct 2018 2:30pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1942

Hi Prof Wave I'm pretty sure part of Herberts Row is visible here - between the red crosses - though it was not to be for much longer (it's on the map image you posted). The aerial imagery was taken in 1930 - as you can see here though building was underway for the Hospital/Welfare centre and the row has disappeared when I look at my 1937 map. Edited by member, 10th Oct 2018 6:08 pm
Gulson Road Hospital
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
83 of 85  Thu 11th Oct 2018 8:13am  

Many thanks Neil. That's great information!
Gulson Road Hospital
dave owens
california usa
All posts by this member
84 of 85  Fri 12th Oct 2018 2:00am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:49

On 9th Oct 2018 1:21pm, covgirl said: I have a lot of unhappy memories of Gulson Hospital, not only the dentist. I too have a phobia to this day brought about by smelly rubber masks and being held down while the gas took effect.....
I also had the facemask forced on my face by the "dentist", then I was led to bathroom after a tooth extraction, bleeding, and just left alone in shock. Those people were very inhuman.
Gulson Road Hospital
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
85 of 85  Fri 12th Oct 2018 5:02am  
Member: Joined Aug 2012  Total posts:545

Just a thought . . barbers were also 'dentists' - maybe that is where 'barbarism' originated?
Gulson Road Hospital

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 76 to 85 of 85 posts

Page 6 of 6

1 2 3 4 5 6
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

George Hilditch - Jaguar XK120
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry food & drink