No actionNo action
17 posts:
Order:    

LesMac
Coventry
All posts by this member
16 of 17  Mon 7th Aug 2017 11:27am  
Member: Joined Dec 2011  Total posts:294

As I said above I only stayed there for two weeks maximum. Mick and I crunched our way across the carpet of cockroaches at about 5am sometime about New Years Day 1940. It was bitterly cold that winter, the canal was solid ice as we tried to walk along the towpath in total darkness to Tusses Bridge. When we got home to Hall Green Rd mum was getting ready for work, she was a nurse at Cov and Warwickshire hospital. Mum wasn't happy about our return home but as it was school holiday we were allowed to stay until something was sorted out for us. Nothing was ever sorted out. Mick and I remained at Hall Green Rd. As for bombs at Sutton Stop I cannot recall any but that doesn't mean that there were none. My sister remained at Sutton for about two years after I left, will ask her next time I visit. I visited Jean frequently during her stay at Sutton but she said nothing to me about bombs. The only local bombs that I recall were a stick that stitched their way across Kay's farm narrowly missing the community shelter, then onto the Bell Hotel car park, couple in Old Church Rd and Gayer St area. Same night I was told that some fell into Wyken Slough without exploding so suppose they are still there. They would have sunk 30ft or more in the soft mud so would be very difficult to recover. Bombs falling from high up were always a problem, suppose there are several unexploded bombs buried deep in and around Coventry. There was what we called a Bread Basket (parachute bomb) that fell in Taylors farm just about 200 yards from our house that did some damage to our roof. At Windmill Rd school, after a raid, some of us children were sent to search the school grounds looking for signs of unexploded bombs. Can't see that sort of thing happening today. The cottage by the car is where we were sent to. Except for the door and windows nothing has changed since 1940. Our evacuation was not a school or Government placing. Ma Beales was just a friend of my parents.
Wartime evacuation
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
17 of 17  Mon 7th Aug 2017 1:44pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1734

LesMac. As I thought, a friendship arrangement, same as mine for evacuation. You're right about the weather, boats were locked in for six weeks. Pity you did not know the area, there was a footpath that crossed the field from Grange Road bridge to Tusses Bridge, and another that branched off to the Miners Arms. The ground has changed, it was a sludgy bog half the time. Thanks for the picture, haven't seen that area for 75 years. Regards, Kaga.
Wartime evacuation

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 17 of 17 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Barras Green and Alpha House
|

Next (newer) topic

Wingrave photos from 1860s
View similar topics in the Wartime and the Blitz category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 47ms)