Next pageLast page
64 posts:
Order:    

morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
16 of 64  Fri 31st Oct 2014 2:21pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2216

Not sure if you've got this which might help with your model on the ditches around Coventry prior to the wall
More mystery Coventry scenes
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
17 of 64  Fri 31st Oct 2014 9:25pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1215

Thanks Morgana, it all helps. That link needs studying carefully.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
18 of 64  Fri 13th Oct 2017 4:58pm  

A new mystery image but this time I think it might be a fake. It's supposed to be 'Old Coventry' painted in the 19th century by H Marks. There is a Henry Stacy Marks of that period who liked to paint imagined medieval or Shakespearean scenes. I can't place the location although it looks a bit like a few areas. There are too many things that clash with any real view, even if you dial them back. The scene looks European and Marks did spend some time in France. So he might have called it Coventry but it's not obvious he ever visited.
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
19 of 64  Tue 17th Oct 2017 12:02am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1928

That doesn't even look like St Michael's, Helen, does it. I think there's a lot of poetic license with many an early painter or two.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
20 of 64  Tue 17th Oct 2017 2:41pm  

Yes Neil, the church is the biggest giveaway. It has a high roof that doesn't match any of Coventry's. There are images dating back to the 1600s that still look more like the real thing than this. If there was one detail that a fanciful artist could include it was the basic shapes of the churches. You could even make a stab at St Mary's. Mid 1800s there was an embarrassment of medieval building riches to choose from in Coventry.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
21 of 64  Sun 9th Sep 2018 12:13pm  

Another mystery... or I perhaps should say 'fake'. Link to gallery. It's housed at the National Gallery of Greece, donated by an artist called Bentzon S. Prout. The only S Prout artist I can find is Samuel Prout, whose work resembles this painting. He lived 17 September 1783 – 10 February 1852. Certainly the signature on the picture just has S Prout so it is probably him. Link to a bio of Samuel Prout So what was he painting? The obvious answer is that the painting is of St Mary's, and there are superficial similarities with how the cathedral may have looked. However, the date of his birth 1783 doesn't suggest he was old enough to have seen the building at this level of completeness. Even a hundred years earlier it would have been an unlikely view. I have some early images and this does not resemble them. As a clincher the 1749 map by Bradford only showed the ruins of one tower so if this is supposed to be St Mary's it is done from imagination. Alternatively it's from some other priory church/abbey, maybe nearby, maybe not. Addendum - I found an artist called John Skinner Prout but he was born 1805, so even more unlikely to have seen St Mary's towers. Edited by member, 9th Sep 2018 12:43 pm
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
22 of 64  Sun 9th Sep 2018 3:39pm  

Thumbs up But it could easily be somewhere on the continent rather than the UK. For all I know it could be a lot older than I think and the Prout in question is a different bloke altogether, but the colour of the stone is wrong, the prominent octagonal corner towers aren't there, the view over the buildings don't match what I know of the area... and so on.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
23 of 64  Sun 9th Sep 2018 3:51pm  

I may find inspiration for St Mary's from Europe, eg Cluny Abbey. I've got this theory that the central tower was an octagon. Edited by member, 9th Sep 2018 3:51 pm
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
24 of 64  Sat 3rd Nov 2018 6:13pm  

Two mystery pictures - Oops, the Mirrorpix images won't post, I'll link to the first and post another version of the second. The first is supposed to be "The Palace Yard courtyard in Priory Row Coventry circa 1936 The yard dates from the 16th century and as the name suggests, has Royal connections." Which is jibberish as they are two different places. It's not Priory Row style and it's not Palace Yard styling either. It could be near the Palace Yard - the best option I can think of is the Sword and Mace but I'm dubious that it's Coventry at all. The second picture is supposed to be Spon Street near the rail arches, photographed in the same year as the other. It doesn't seem to fit that location and if I had to guess I'd say that it could be near the Palace Yard - maybe the Star Yard or Mechanics Institute but without any corroborating evidence, I don't think that this is Coventry either. Link to first mystery image Second mystery image I could be wrong. Sometimes I've looked and looked at a picture and not been able to place it but I've just been looking at it from the wrong direction. Edited by member, 4th Nov 2018 12:20 am
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
25 of 64  Sun 4th Nov 2018 12:37pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1294

I find they are both strange pictures Helen, looking at the architecture. I don't think either of them are of just normal court houses. The first one has what look like stone mullioned windows. I think it could be the rear of a big house. I reminds me of the view looking into the courtyard towards the kitchen of Middleton Hall just outside Tamworth. The second one is unusual as it is a stone building, I have just looked through a lot of my books and most of the buildings, even old ones are brick. it also has what look like fairly good condition sash windows where as most pictures of Coventry have side hung ones. I can't imagine stone buildings in Spon End and the arch is too low to be a railway arch. we will have to keep looking
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
26 of 64  Sun 4th Nov 2018 5:16pm  

I agree Anne. I think they might be from a day out of town by the photographers. There is an outside chance that they're from the south side of Earl Street but unlikely.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
27 of 64  Sun 4th Nov 2018 5:56pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1294

If you search on the Mirrorpix page for Palace Yard it comes up with a picture of Palace Yard, the one we would recognise but with exactly the same description. It is obviously a different place as the architecture is completely different, but for some reason want to place it in Priory Row.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
28 of 64  Mon 5th Nov 2018 12:22pm  

The Mirrorpix collection is somewhat suspect. We've already identified photos that don't belong and ones that have been submitted back to front. The labelling is probably an afterthought for them.
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
29 of 64  Tue 6th Nov 2018 12:12pm  

Yes, it's a strange 'collection', a mix of a lot of newer 'press' images with a few older ones - many inaccurate.
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
30 of 64  Wed 14th Nov 2018 4:12am  

Anyone?

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 30 of 64 posts

Page 2 of 5