No actionNo action
95 posts:
Order:    

Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
91 of 95  Sun 24th Nov 2019 5:24pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1482

The Free School wasn't pulled down Kaga - only about 6 feet or so of the west side of it was removed, in order to widen Bishop Street. I've highlighted the change with this Now and Then pairing. The whole school library was pulled down though (on the south side, right side of the picture) to make way for the building of Hales Street.
More mystery Coventry scenes
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
92 of 95  Mon 25th Nov 2019 10:57am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3196

Rob, well you can't really argue with those photgraphs, but I quoted from a book of 1888 that said: The old free school the front of which towards the Burges was pulled down and rebuilt to widen the roadway in the year 1794 (and that was all it said about the building).
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
93 of 95  Mon 25th Nov 2019 11:07am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1697

It's a matter of punctuation or sentence construction (both of which I fail regularly). One way it could be read that the school that fronts onto the Burges was pulled down and rebuilt. The other way is that the front of the school in the Burges was pulled down and rebuilt. Other evidence points to the latter meaning being correct. Though the entire structure has experience so many alterations it might as well have been totally rebuilt.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
94 of 95  Fri 29th Nov 2019 4:42pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5467

On 22nd Nov 2019 3:31pm, Helen F said: Your host provides. Though court 3 is on the other leg of New Buildings, next to where the mill pool was originally (later the cattle market). So Court 3 is this view Follow the fence in from the left to the gable end of a building, that's the east side of court 3. You can see the end of the court and the gable end of the west side of court 3. Edited by member, 22nd Nov 2019 3:39 pm
This post has been copied into the Holy Trinity Church thread, and all conversations regarding the clock/s on the church spire/tower have been moved to that thread Thumbs up
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
95 of 95  Mon 2nd Dec 2019 1:03pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1697

On 22nd Nov 2019 3:26pm, NeilsYard said: Does anyone have a better map of New Buildings including the courts on the southern side. Annoyingly Old-Maps earliest one seems to cut that off, especially after the location of Court No.3 as it appears my great grandfather and family were there in the 1881 census.
To go back to the original question - it's always worth checking out the fire insurance maps (either those at the British Library or Rob's later versions.) Fire insurance Sheet 3.1

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 91 to 95 of 95 posts

Page 7 of 7

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Owen Owen
|

Next (newer) topic

Longford (inc. The Red Hills)