No actionNo action
5 posts:
Order:    

Baz
Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 5  Sun 5th Oct 2014 8:33am  
Member: Joined May 2012  Total posts:341

Wrigley's chewing gum machines outside shops. Remember them? Fruit flavour chewing gum, and the mint. One chap told me of fag machines also, but they kept getting broken into so the idea did not last too long. I can remember them being in social club doorways in nice wooden like display boxes. You still find the odd gobstopper machine but inside the shops these days. There were a number of machines on the walls of sweet shops back then. Put your 2p in and turn the handle and a sweet dropped out. Then there were the 2 for a penny sweets that made your mouth turn black. Ho! what good times. Happy
Always looking forward to looking at the past.

Things you don't see anymore
Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
2 of 5  Mon 6th Oct 2014 10:47am  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:460

Cigarette machines were targets for theft but they were very tough and the contents used to remain in the machines for the most part. Of course, the machine would have to be repaired. There was also the issue of under age kids using them, and when smokers turned to Embassy sized cigarettes, the original machines would not take the larger packs, and the machines would remain empty. The sweets which made one's mouth go black were called 'Black Jacks', politically incorrect these days, and they originally sold '8 for 1d', as were 'Fruit Salad', the less politically incorrect sister product, and 'Flying Saucers'. There were few shop staff who relished counting out forty eight of either in exchange for the tooth fairy's sixpence. Lol Edited by member, 6th Oct 2014 10:47 am
David H
Lancashire
All posts by this member
3 of 5  Mon 6th Oct 2014 12:45pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:111

I seem to remember that "Black Jacks" and "Fruit Salad" were 4 a penny. It was "Mojo's" that were 8 a penny if I remember right, all of which within my childhood budgetary considerations represented huge value for money! Edited by member, 6th Oct 2014 12:47 pm
Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
4 of 5  Mon 6th Oct 2014 2:26pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:460

They were, but not when I was a kid. My sister used to annoy the staff at the Brentwood Ave newsagents on Sunday morning with 1s. It took her forever to decide whether she should have 96 Fruit Salad, or 96 Black Jacks, or 48 of each, or 24 of each and the rest in Flying Saucers or Magic Wands which were 1d each, or maybe a Sherbert Fountain or 2oz of Sherbert Lemons. And it was always close to closing time too. Lol
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
5 of 5  Mon 6th Oct 2014 9:44pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2311

You can still buy black jacks on line, also Imps. Sherbert fountains are still sold in shops. Armani waving lotion you don't see any more, neither lipsticks in metal cases. No 6, Woodbine, Players, Capstan A, Park Drive cigerettes. Coats and jumpers made of wool, good quality clothes either. Delrosa, liberty bodices, tank tops. Kipper ties, wind up watches. Winkle pickers. Edited by member, 6th Oct 2014 10:00 pm

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

W J Stafford, Great Heath
|

Next (newer) topic

Morris Engine Works, Gosford Street
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 197ms)