Next pageNo action
23 posts:
Order:    

morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
1 of 23  Sat 19th Nov 2011 10:56pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2228

The witch at Corley Rocks - view from top of Corley Rocks.
Corley
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
2 of 23  Sat 19th Nov 2011 11:39pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3969

Or, is it one of your paintings? There is a fine network of field footpaths in this area which deserve some stories about one day. You have not given this subject a title, Morgana. At this point you are at the same height as at the top of the cathedral spire. I love it. Best wishes. Wave Thumbs up
Corley
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
3 of 23  Sun 20th Nov 2011 12:07am  

Lol Philip when I feel better it may be one of my paintings, I made an error of trying to upload it with the witch cackle Lol Lol Lol Yes I shall have to research a bit more about Corley and the surrounding area which I used to live very close by. Same height as at the top of the cathedral spire Oh my I shall be banished from the land, nothing is allowed to be higher than that, history says no building should be higher than the spire of the area. Smile
Corley
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
4 of 23  Sun 20th Nov 2011 3:47am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3029

Oh my goodness, what a view, beats all the dry grasses here. Thanks for that Morgana, Never seen the witch before - Wow Oh my
Corley
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
5 of 23  Sun 20th Nov 2011 11:54am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3969

There used to be a notice on Corley Parish Church door that stated that this is the height of Coventry Cathedral spire. I saw it about ten years ago. Wave This is Corley Parish Church, 2002. I had arrived early to practise on the organ for a wedding later in the day. Thumbs up The church yard was beautiful.
Corley
K
Somewhere
All posts by this member
6 of 23  Sun 20th Nov 2011 12:19pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:567

Here are a couple of nostalgia pics for you!! Corley Women's Institute Flower Show of 1963:
Corley
K
Somewhere
All posts by this member
7 of 23  Sun 20th Nov 2011 12:27pm  

And here's an anecdote about Corley, from about 1980. My wife and I went for a drink on quite a few Sunday evenings at the pub on the green at Corley (the Red Lion? ..forgotten) The publican kept birds of prey in a wire-fenced compound at the rear. To get to the loos, you had to go through the back door, along past the compound for a little way, and the loos were on the right. Two ladies went out there this one Sunday evening, and two or three minutes later came hurtling back in all a-fluster, followed by a large bundle of pale fawn fluff, woth great big orange eyes - a baby eagle owl. It was almost two feet tall. The barman came over, picked it up in his arms, and went outside then returned. He said "It's only Gert. Won't hurt you. She's just able to jump up and get over the fence occasionally." Well, it seems, one of the ladies went in to the loo, into a cubicle, only to find two large orange eyes looking up at her, yelled out and fled!! 'Gert' was about 6 weeks old. Two or three weeks later, the bird was stolen. She was lost for a while, and then turned up not far from the pub, in a tree. The owner called, and she came back. A happy ending, at least for that.
Corley
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
8 of 23  Sun 20th Nov 2011 12:34pm  

On 20th Nov 2011 3:47am, Dreamtime said: Oh my goodness, what a view, beats all the dry grasses here. Thanks for that Morgana, Never seen the witch before - Wow Oh my
Thank you Dreamtime, it is also a bridle path so you could walk through the fields, its at the top of one of the lanes leading on to the Tamworth Road. Glad you like the witch some say it looks like a bear but it's whatever the imagination sees, but to me it's always been known from a child picnicing there with my parents as the witch of Corley Rocks. Smile Wave
Corley
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
9 of 23  Sun 20th Nov 2011 12:38pm  

Thank you Philip I've always wanted to get out and take photos inside the churchyard but no one would take me, it's beautiful and love the Rhododendrons also that large Rhododendron/Azalea, if I do get someone in the future to take me I shall look for that plaque for you and let you know via here. Thumbs up
Corley
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
10 of 23  Sun 20th Nov 2011 12:45pm  

They are wonderful photos of the flowers, I know a garden site that would love these photos. You've made me laugh at the ladies going to the loo Keith, I could just imagine it, but so pleased they found their little owl. Yes it's the Red Lion, my nephew lives right by it, so does my sister in law who owns the cattery there, it's in Corley Moor Smile
Corley
K
Somewhere
All posts by this member
11 of 23  Sun 20th Nov 2011 12:50pm  

And the Corley WI were really nice ladies too!! Smile They had wanted a spoof recording to mime to, and I spent ages cutting and splicing recording tape to do it. The spoof recording was to replace the normal WI 'anthem'; I think the spoof was 'Kids' or something like that. A very enjoyable time. The Red Lion used to be very popular. Is it still?
Corley
PhilipInCoventry
12 of 23  Sun 20th Nov 2011 12:51pm  
Off-topic / chat  

K
13 of 23  Sun 20th Nov 2011 1:07pm  
Off-topic / chat  

morgana
14 of 23  Sun 20th Nov 2011 1:12pm  
Off-topic / chat  

PhilipInCoventry
15 of 23  Sun 20th Nov 2011 3:59pm