No actionNo action
86 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
76 of 86  Wed 31st May 2017 6:06pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1676

LesMac. It was your forced march business that had me thinking what we sang when marching, nearly all the songs we had heard from WWI when we were kids, but I seem to be out on my own here. But I had thirty-forty Coventry 'kids' around me as we marched, so it seemed like they were Coventry's own songs. Everytime the rag and bone man entered our street we would run round his cart singing 'Any old iron', Inky-pinky parlez-vous, catchy to us kids, was more of a WWI song than Lili Marlene.
Music memories
argon
new milton
All posts by this member
77 of 86  Wed 31st May 2017 6:47pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:83

Kaga, I think Lily Marlene was a second world war song. One first world war song of course was 'Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag' composed by George and Felix Powell. I have seen a reference to George Powell (called George Asaf) as having died in Coventry in 1951. He was a baker and confectioner.
Music memories
argon
new milton
All posts by this member
78 of 86  Wed 31st May 2017 7:02pm  

Kaga, I neglected to say in my previous post that, according to the same reference, George Powell's brother Felix served in the Home Guard in Peacehaven in the second world war and shot himself due to his work as an estate agent being disrupted Sad
Music memories
LesMac
Coventry
All posts by this member
79 of 86  Thu 1st Jun 2017 10:17am  
Member: Joined Dec 2011  Total posts:288

My fault Argon. Think that Lili Marlene was first broadcast as a song about 1939/40ish. I remember my aunt, who was a music teacher, playing Lili Marlene from sheet music long before WW2. Who wrote it and when, I have no idea.
Music memories
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
80 of 86  Thu 1st Jun 2017 11:05am  

Argon, LesMac, thanks for your reply, I've just googled old soldiers songs, found the lot.
Music memories
argon
new milton
All posts by this member
81 of 86  Thu 1st Jun 2017 6:36pm  

Lesmac, according to Wikipedia Lili Marlene was written as a poem in 1915 by a soldier. Put to music and first performed in 1937
Music memories
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
82 of 86  Fri 2nd Jun 2017 10:16am  

The early days of my childhood was a different world to today, apart from about three tame channels on the wireless there was little else, so shouting and singing as a kid was much more evident on the little car-less streets, even if it was real Coventry slang, don't believe we had heard of Walt Disney in those days. There was great slum areas of Coventry terraced houses, so we lived more or less on top of each other, we knew the inside of our neighbours' houses as much as our own, which was much the same in every town. I believe the government told councils to build better houses so Coventry did just that through the thirties. There were no floodlit towns back then, and no dog racing. But we kids sang the old songs of WWI because they were mainly the only ones we heard, they came from our fathers everyday. This had altered little when the WW2 came along. As we marched, thirty-forty of us Coventry kids together, it was no different to when we had played and sang on Coventry streets, as toddlers.
Music memories
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
83 of 86  Fri 2nd Jun 2017 10:45am  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:991

Thanks Kaga. I've been thinking all week about the noises that surround us every day compared to what our mothers and fathers experienced in their youth. In the communal areas in the retirement home where I live there is always music playing too loud for a group to hold a conversation. At 73 I am one of the younger residents so I guess it annoys many of my companions too. Even in my youth (1950s) the only time we heard loud music was at the fairground. This weekend I am going to the Moto-Fest being held in the city centre. I note that there are two music events at the same time, one in Broadgate and the other on Gosford Green. I just hope my hearing survives.
Music memories
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
84 of 86  Fri 2nd Jun 2017 4:24pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2863

How interesting Pix, we discuss how buildings and locations have changed even our well being in lots of ways but I have never considered how noises of all kinds have affected our daily way of life. It makes you want to sit somewhere quiet and take in all of what you hear, and as we are on the topic of music I think the world would be a sad place without it, no matter what our personal choices are. Smile
Music memories
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
85 of 86  Mon 5th Jun 2017 5:05pm  

Argon. Thanks for your reply. When WW1 war ended, Peacehaven was just downland, but someone wanted to create a garden city here, to promote it they asked Felix Powell to write some music for it. He wrote Lureland Waltz, words were written by George Asaf, Felix then settled here.
Music memories
argon
new milton
All posts by this member
86 of 86  Mon 5th Jun 2017 5:10pm  

Thanks Kaga, interesting! George Powell took the name Asaf from the the birthplace of the brothers I believe, namely St Asaph in Wales
Music memories

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 76 to 86 of 86 posts

Page 6 of 6

1 2 3 4 5 6
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Far Gosford Street
|

Next (newer) topic

"Burglar Bill" and other old tales of Radford
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 73ms)