Next pageNo action
30 posts:
Order:    

Tony1
Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 30  Thu 23rd Oct 2014 5:18pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:51

Hi Can anyone in the group recall the year or the date when the houses on the right side on the Foleshill Road (Bishop Street end / canal on the left) was demolished. I can recall the local council put Compulsory Purchase Orders on the properties to allow for a road expansion that never happened. Is my story true? Tony
Foleshill Road
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 30  Fri 24th Oct 2014 12:52am  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:832

You surprise me. Coventry demolishing buildings for projects that never happen! :-)
Foleshill Road
mick
coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 30  Tue 28th Oct 2014 5:52pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:74

Prior to the Ring Road the main way to the north of the city was via Bishop Street and then on to the Radford Road or through Leicester Row which in effect was the bottom of the Foleshill Road. One of the first sections of the Ring Road was the replacement of KIng Street/Leicester Street - the latter of which had been widened in the 1930s. It is often forgotten that the construction of the Ring Road also included the provision of 'spurs' or 'radial roads' which included the Butts, Radford Road and Foleshill Road. These three spurs were entirely new roads and did not involve widening or even replacing existing roads. I imagine that Foleshill Road would have been constructed simultaneously or following on from King St/Leicester St. Part of the land used for the road was the former Coventry Brewery site which the Council had owned since 1912 and had used as a works depot. Surplus land on the eastern side was used for the Salvation Army Hostel and the Ambulance Station [both now gone] and on the western side of course William Bachelor and John Tofts Houses were built. There were other properties in Leicester Row including the Canal Tavern which, according to the recently published book about pubs, ceased trading in 1963 - so this tends to pin down the redevelopment of this area to circa 1960-3. I do not recall a proposed CPO that never happened unless there were thoughts of further widening on Foleshill Road but there were proposals for extensive redevelopment in the Eagle Street area which were stalled by changes made by the 1971 Planning Acts. Hope this helps.
Foleshill Road
Tony1
Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 30  Tue 2nd Dec 2014 10:23am  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:51

Mick. Thank you for your response
Foleshill Road
mvb12
London
All posts by this member
5 of 30  Sat 3rd Oct 2015 7:03pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2015  Total posts:17

Hi guys, can someone tell me the exact crossover on the road linking both areas change as some places state the area is Longford, are off Longford Road but are actually Foleshill and viceversa. Have looked on here and can't seem to find what I'm after.
Foleshill Road
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
6 of 30  Sat 3rd Oct 2015 7:17pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:878

Looking at maps and images from Google Street Maps, it appears that Foleshill Road becomes Longford Road at New Inn Bridge. Where the actual areas go from one to the other is often subjective when it comes to districts as many people like to 'upgrade' where there are no formal boundaries.
Foleshill Road
johnwright
combe martim
All posts by this member
7 of 30  Sun 4th Oct 2015 8:49am  
Member: Joined Jun 2014  Total posts:124

Longford does start from the New Inn bridge where the Foleshill Road changes to the Longford Road, but as Mister D-Di says, away from the Foleshill Road it becomes very vague as to where it changes from one district to the another. Some examples, Bedlam Lane starts in Foleshill but somewhere becomes Longford, Lythalls Lane starts in Foleshill but somewhere becomes Holbrooks. It does seem impossible now to define accurately where one district ends and another one starts. Foleshill used to be much larger than it is now, what is now Walsgrave used to be Foleshill for instance.
Foleshill Road
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
8 of 30  Sun 4th Oct 2015 11:02am  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:997

Same problem where I live. For almost a thousand years it was called Fletchamstead (a homestead where they grow flax). Now it is Canley. I suppose when the council decided to build houses here they thought the residents wouldn't be able to spell Fletchamstead. Big grin Big grin
Foleshill Road
mvb12
London
All posts by this member
9 of 30  Tue 6th Oct 2015 1:04pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2015  Total posts:17

Thanks guy much appreciated. Thumbs up
Foleshill Road
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
10 of 30  Sat 14th Jan 2017 8:51am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1575

Not seen this image before of Leicester Row.
Foleshill Road
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
11 of 30  Sat 14th Jan 2017 7:11pm  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:112

NeilsYard, Nice find on the photo. I thought the trams used to go along Leicester Row to reach the Foleshill Road and I can't see any tram tracks in the picture. Might the picture be of the adjacent Leicester Street? Peter.

Question

Foleshill Road
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
12 of 30  Sun 15th Jan 2017 8:32am  

Hi Peter Wave I think you could be right - I'm looking at maps around 1900 and even then there were tram lines along Leicester Row. The only image I have of Leicester Street is in the Leicester Street Industrial Home for Girls thread and the cobbles do look similar. I was only going off the book it was taken from - good spot! Edited by member, 15th Jan 2017 8:32 am
Foleshill Road
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
13 of 30  Sun 15th Jan 2017 11:10am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1863

NeilsYard, does the book give you any idea why the photo was taken, the four guys are in Sunday best clothes, so it was taken on a Sunday. This is a first class photo for 1926, no one had a camera like that, except the press, and he seems to have caught the four guys as they came out of the pathway, through the gardens, so where were they going? I'm a little suspicious of the 1926/7 years and Foleshill. I seem to think there was a large grocery warehouse about where the derelict houses are in the thirties, but a little farther back from the road.
Foleshill Road
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
14 of 30  Sun 15th Jan 2017 11:41am  

Sorry Kaga - it was taken from an image on one of the Coventry FB pages which I had not seen before so not sure which book it was from. Looking at maps I think the photographer could be at the junction with Leicester Row but looking east along the atreet. Edited by member, 15th Jan 2017 11:44 am
Foleshill Road
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
15 of 30  Sun 15th Jan 2017 11:56am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4604

The photo is actually in the "Library pictures" - link - as Leicester Street Thumbs up
Foleshill Road

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 30 posts

Page 1 of 2

1 2
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry City Ladies Football Club
|

Next (newer) topic

Camouflaging Coventry Canal in WWII
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 87ms)