No actionNo action
64 posts:
Order:    

NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
61 of 64  Mon 12th Jun 2017 1:22am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1518

Very sorry to hear of the passing of boxer Errol Christie who has passed away aged just 53 of cancer. Raised in Radford. RIP Sad
On 12th Jun 2017 7.22am, Midland Red said: Sad news, indeed - Errol Christie is one of our "Famous Coventrians" News report of his passing Sad
Obituaries
Beesman
Cornwall
All posts by this member
62 of 64  Wed 5th Jul 2017 11:13pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2012  Total posts:366

Very sad to hear of the passing of Jim Twyneham. For many years the voice of Coventry City FC on match days. In the 1970's Jim was also King of the Turntables when he fronted the brilliant Silk Disco, without question the finest disco in Coventry for many years. Jim was a true Coventrian who will be sadly missed by many people. RIP Jim.
On 6th Jul 2017 7:15am, Mdland Red said: Very sad indeed Sad - spent many Sunday lunchtimes in his company in the Styvechale Arms in the mid-70s RIP Jim
On 11th Jul 2017 2:58pm, MisterD-Di said: Absolutely right. Jim Twyneham was certainly a larger-than-life figure in Coventry for many years. I first encountered him at the wonderful Silk Disco at the Plough on London Road around 1969-70, which operated on Friday and Sunday nights as I recall. You paid your admission and got 'SILK' stamped on your hand in black ink. It was very well supported but sadly ceased around 1972 and moved to the Humber Hotel where it was known as 'Arthur's'. (The Humber was then run by Harold Powell, who encouraged all sorts of activities at the pub. The room where Arthur's played also doubled up as a meeting room for football leagues and the referees' association for many years.) As you say, he was the announcer at Highfield Road and later the Ricoh for many years, a job for which he was perfect given his distinctive deep voice. I seem to recall that he was eventually badly treated by the club and ceased to do the job. No surprise there, I guess. I believe he was also match announcer for the big matches at Wembley for some years too, as well as presenting shows on local radio. I also encountered Jim a few times in his professional capacity when I worked for the council. He worked for the Vehicle Licensing Office in Greyfriars Lane for many years and whenever we needed any information he would provide it, along with a chat about the City, of course. A true gentleman, he will be sadly missed.
Obituaries
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
63 of 64  Fri 7th Jul 2017 5:01pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4294

Bradley Lowery - RIP brave little fella Big grin Another report Wave
Obituaries
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
64 of 64  Wed 19th Jul 2017 9:28am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4294

Jim Twyneham: Funeral service to take place on Wednesday 26th July 2017 at 1.30pm in Cannon Hill Chapel, Canley Crematorium. Family have requested that you try to wear something sky blue. Donations if desired to Coventry Music Museum can be sent c/o Franklin & Hawkins Funeral Directors, 333 Tile Hill Lane, Coventry, CV4 9DU.
Obituaries

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 61 to 64 of 64 posts

Page 5 of 5

1 2 3 4 5
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Rambling, further afield from Coventry
|

Next (newer) topic

Our Kaga
View similar topics in the Non-Coventry category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 47ms)