Next pageLast page
58 posts:
Order:    

Midland Red

All posts by this member
1 of 58  Sat 25th Oct 2014 6:01pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4137

14 May 1943 - 25 October 2014 RIP Jack Bruce
On 6th Nov 2014 9:22pm, David H said: Have just come back from a couple of weeks away and hadn't heard this news. Very sad and shocked that Jack Bruce is no longer with us. What a fantastic musician, writer and singer. I was a huge Cream fan as a teenager, and loved the Bruce/Brown compositions. After Cream split up some of my favourite albums of all time are Songs for a Tailor and Harmony Row. I've played the songs so many times over the years that I know them all by heart. Of course Jack made many, many albums over the years, as he was such a prodigious talent and I have always loved his music. RIP Jack Bruce, who's music will last forever.
Obituaries
Midland Red

All posts by this member
2 of 58  Thu 27th Nov 2014 9:01am  

Saddened by the news of the tragic death of Australian cricketer Phil Hughes Thoughts go out to his family, friends and cricketing colleagues, particularly those who witnessed the incident at close quarters and especially Sean Abbott, the bowler involved Sad, sad day for cricket RIP Phil Hughes
On 27th Nov 2014 10:11am, Norman Conquest said: I 100% agree. Sad day indeed. Norman
On 27th Nov 2014 11:12am, john bishop said: Very sad indeed.
On 27th Nov 2014 11:25am, PhilipInCoventry said: Gutted.
On 27th Nov 2014 3:03pm, john bishop said: Can anyone think of a way to improve protection?
On 28th Nov 2014 3:29pm, Dreamtime said: I think only another Cricketer could answer that question John. The incident that took the life of Phil Hughes happens - how many times in a life time. A very interesting question though, and of course there is always room for improvement.
Obituaries
Midland Red

All posts by this member
3 of 58  Sun 2nd Aug 2015 1:23pm  

Sad news of the death at 72 of Cilla Black Sad RIP, Cilla Cilla in Coventry
On 2nd Aug 2015 7:28pm, morgana said: Cilla's baby daughter passed away in Coventry
On 2nd Aug 2015 9:41pm, TonyS said: Sad news indeed. Like her or not, she's been a true icon since the 60's Sad
On 3rd Aug 2015 3:56am, Dreamtime said: No one can remember the 60's without Cilla. RIP
On 3rd Aug 2015 7:15am, PhilipInCoventry said: Hi all Wave My first tangible recollection of Cilla, was one Friday evening at college, in 1964, when I lost a £1 bet. I said that her song "Anyone who had a heart" would not get to No.4, & on that day, the New Musical Express had it at No.1. I am sorry Cilla. Sorry for doubting your song, but also a pound was a lot of dosh to a student in 1964! Public or private lives apart, she appeared never to get over losing her hubby. That endeared her more than ever to the British public, the fact that she was human.
On 3rd Aug 2015 12:33pm, Norman Conquest said: It appears that we remember Cilla's songs when we forget music from other singers. Anyone who had a heart, Alfie, I can sing a rainbow. If I put my thinking cap on suppose I could think of many more. I don't think that she was a great singer but she had that "Girl next door" personality that won her many fans.
On 23rd Aug 2015 3:09pm, Baz said: The one that I will remember her for was this from that classic film (Please Sir) From YouTube Such a down to earth Liverpool lass Sad
Obituaries
Midland Red

All posts by this member
4 of 58  Thu 6th Aug 2015 8:36pm  

George Cole - RIP
On 7th Aug 2015 12:46am, PhilipInCoventry said: Hi all Wave Gosh, these losses are never ending, it's us getting old too, Midland Red. Hope "Her Indoors" is ok.
Obituaries
woodford
coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 58  Mon 11th Jan 2016 9:15pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2013  Total posts:175

Just to say that I was shocked and saddened by the news that David Bowie has died. His music evokes so many stages of my adult life and I think he was a great person as well. Rest in peace Sad
On 12th Jan 2016 12:25am, Dreamtime said: I agree Anne, another star who will be remembered from our era. RIP. I believe he had only recently recorded a new album, better get your order in.
On 12th Jan 2016 12:29am, Wearethemods said: Hear, hear, saw him in 1973 or 4 at the Hippodrome - Ziggy Stardust Tour brilliant!
On 12th Jan 2016 2:14pm, Old Lincolnian said: Like everybody else I was shocked and saddened by the news. I was also at the Ziggy Stardust concert at Coventry Theatre and it has remained with me ever since. Like most people I didn't like everything he did but his ability to constantly reinvent himself without worrying what people thought kept him in the public eye. He was also a very good actor. The only contemporary I can think off who could be remembered in the same way is possibly Dylan, but he has not been in the public eye very much the last few years and some people still haven't forgiven him for going electric Oh my
On 14th Jan 2016 11:20am, DavidP said: I was there [Coventry Theatre] in the stalls in 1973 for my first ever concert, aged 13. Wow. Ziggy Stardust blew my mind, all those costume changes and Mick Ronson/Trevor Boulder hammering away at each other. I saw David Bowie 5 times subsequently, the last occasion was at The Royal Festival Hall in 2002, where he played the entire album 'Low', took an interval and then the entire album 'Heathen', followed by a couple of encores. It was a magical performance, and I particularly recall that there were only two people in the entire place wearing a suit: him and me. A very sad loss this week for me, and I read the Hippodrome has been demolished as well.
On 15th Jan 2016 5:49pm, woodford said: It's great to hear your memories, especially of those who saw him at the Hippodrome - wish I'd been there! I liked him not just because of his music, but because he appeared to be a decent man and a great entertainer. As I said, he's been part of my life for a long time and thinking about him brings back memories of various parts of my life - some happy, some sad. I think that most of us have some sort of soundtrack to bits of our life and we can all respect each other's influences! Wave
On 16th Jan 2016 10:56am, NeilsYard said: Very envious of seeing Bowie in his Ziggy phase, David. Huge RIP as I was a massive fan Sad
Obituaries
Midland Red

All posts by this member
6 of 58  Sun 31st Jan 2016 9:28am  

Sir Terry Wogan - sad news this morning - RIP Tel
On 31st Jan 2016 12:07pm, Roger Turner said: Yes I join you Midland Red, heard him described as a "National Treasure" - he was! R.I.P.
On 31st Jan 2016 7:28pm, mickw said: A broadcasting legend God bless Sir Terry he will be sadly missed RIP.
On 31st Jan 2016 8:32pm, woodford said: Another shock! RIP Sad
On 17th Nov 2016 11:45am, Midland Red said: Wogan House Thumbs up
Obituaries
Midland Red

All posts by this member
7 of 58  Sun 28th Feb 2016 2:35pm  

Frank Kelly - sad news, and a sad coincidence of dates Sad
On 28th Feb 2016 6:13pm, Wimero said: Sad news indeed. Still look out for the Father Ted repeats. Great characters and very funny scripts. As Jack would say...... DRINK, DRINK, DRINK. Cheers
On 28th Feb 2016 7:31pm, woodford said: Yes very sad - he was sooo funny Sad Oh course, Wimero, we can't repeat, on here, the other things he said! Blush
On 15th Aug 2016 10:26am, Slim said: A brilliantly funny actor. He was so good as an actor that, to me, he didn't appear to be acting the Father Jack part.
Obituaries
Midland Red

All posts by this member
8 of 58  Wed 9th Mar 2016 11:33am  

George Martin - sad news - but what a legacy! Thumbs up
Obituaries
Midland Red

All posts by this member
9 of 58  Thu 17th Mar 2016 9:11am  

Paul Daniels passed away today Sad
On 18th Mar 2016 7:57am, TonyS said: Along with audiences of twenty million I used to love watching his shows on a Saturday evening. Such an inspiration to so many. Condolences to his wife and family.
On 18th Mar 2016 9:01pm, Roger Turner said: I too am sorry to see him go. You know, he was pure, slick entertainment, what I mean is you used to get old fashioned variety shows which included a magic act, often very clever, but as stiff as get out. Paul Daniels shows were a variety magic variety entertainment in themselves, as I heard on other news broadcasts, they said his shows were right up there with "Eric and Ernie" and "The Two Ronnies" (they didn`t mention Stanley Baxter, but I do). My condolences too, to his Perfect Foil (Debbie McGee) and family.
Obituaries
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
10 of 58  Thu 17th Mar 2016 10:04am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3819

Hi all Sad We have lost Cliff Michelmore in the news today. Sad
On 17th Mar 2016 11:24am, Roger Turner said: Phillip, I`m glad you posted this item, I heard it first on Radio 4 this morning and then found Paul Daniels had also left us from Sky TV news. Both very formative and loved in different aspects of broadcasting. I particularly remember Cliff Michelmore`s presentation of the "Tonight" programme and the team he assembled/encouraged/egged on who could be so delightfully diverse. Jake Thackray for instance, and his rendering of "Sister Josephine" and the lovely Fyfe Robertson (Robbie) with his discovery of the "off beat" - his opening line, spoken with his delightful Scottish accent was. "You may be wondering what I am doing . . . in this godforsaken landscape of boulders and heath . . . etc." I seem to remember he also had Robin Hall and Jimmie MacGregor and the chap who made up calypsos. He was married to Jean Metcalfe and I think they did "Two way family favourites" from BOAR Germany, which was broadcast also on the short wave Overseas Service which we used to pick up on the high seas, particularly "down the coast of West Africa". One particular request from a merchant seaman in my time called for "sailor leave the sea . . . sailor come home to me", said to have been responsible for a 10% loss of sea personnel. R I P
On 17th Mar 2016 3:28pm, Old Lincolnian said: Cliff Michelmore reported on the Aberfan disaster in one of the most moving reports I have ever seen - a far cry from most of today's reporters
On 5th Aug 2016 8:53am, Slim said: Cliff Michelmore was one of those who seemed to have been on the telly since it started. As a bairn, I used to pronounce his name "Chip Mitchmore" to the amusement of Mummy. Every programme finished with "And the next Tonight will be tomorrow night. Good night."
On 5th Aug 2016 9:02am, Dreamtime said: How sad, who could forget Family Favourites and the unforgettable Cliff Michelmore. A very popular personality in my eyes.
Obituaries
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
11 of 58  Thu 31st Mar 2016 12:27pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3819

Hi all Sad Sad news to report that Ronnie Corbett has died. Sad
On 31st Mar 2016 12:42pm, Roger Turner said: Thank you for the news Philip, even though sad. Your posting is the first I heard of it and we will all miss this infectious master of entertainment, particularly "The Two Ronnies" and "Sorry" that I call to mind, but I loved his "shaggy dog stories" RIP (When I say infectious, I always felt better after a program with him)
On 31st Mar 2016 12:45pm, Midland Red said: Sad indeed, even more so following on so soon after Wogan and Daniels Sad Was watching an episode of "Sorry" only yesterday - sorry, mother Wink
On 31st Mar 2016 5:14pm, Midland Red said: Here are some of laughs he has given us over the years: 1. "French wine growers fear that this year's vintage may be entirely spoiled due to the grape treaders' sit-in." 2. "A cement mixer collided with a prison van on the Kingston by-pass. Motorists are asked to be on the look-out for 16 hardened criminals." 3. "We will be talking to an out of work contortionist who says he can no longer make ends meet." 4. "All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my right hand." 5. "This is a message for seven honeymoon couples in a hotel in Peebles: Breakfast was served three days ago." 6. "A man was marooned on a desert island. One day a beautiful woman arrives in a wet suit. "'When did you last have a smoke?' she asks. "'Five years ago.' "So she gets out a cigar and he smokes it. She unzips her wet suit a bit and says: "'When did you last have a drink?' "He said, 'Five years ago.' So she gets out a bottle of Scotch and he has a drink. "Then she unzips her wet suit a bit more and says, 'And when was the last time you played around?' "He looks at her in amazement and says: 'You're not telling me you've got a set of golf clubs in there?'" 7. "It was revealed in a government survey published today that the Prime Minister is doing the work of two men, Laurel and Hardy." 8. "There was a fire at the main Inland Revenue office in London today, but it was put out before any serious good was done." 9. "West Mercia police announced tonight that they wish to interview a man wearing high heels and frilly knickers, but the Chief Constable said they must wear their normal uniforms." 10. "We'll be talking to a car designer who's crossed a Toyota with Quasimodo and come up with the Hatchback of Notre Dame."
On 1st Apr 2016 9:56pm, Rob Orland said: Oh my word, I actually remember him coming out with a few of those.... made me smile all over again! So, that was the last "good night from him".... goodbye to another of our greats.
On 2nd Apr 2016 3:27am, Dreamtime said: There are a great many comics still around but I can't name one who I laughed at more than little Ronnie. He was a one off. A different sort of comedian coming up in the ranks now and I am not sure if that is good or bad. Keep them laughing up there Ronnie.
Obituaries
Midland Red

All posts by this member
12 of 58  Tue 24th May 2016 4:08pm  

Sad to note the passing of Burt Kwouk - Electrical Entwistle Sad
On 24th May 2016 5:02pm, PhilipInCoventry said: Hi all, Sad news for me today is that actor Burt Kwouk has died. He was the "China man" on "Last of the Summer Wine", who said that he came from Hull. On paper he replaced the character Wesley, after he became too ill to continue. The last decade of that show, since the loss of Compo, struggled on, with some new characters, that did bring a fresh humour, Burt Kwouk being amongst them, but I never really got back into it when Russ Abbott joined. I think that they had lost the plot by then, sadly. I still enjoy watching the back episodes up to the Russ Abbott era. Funny, as I did used to enjoy Russ Abbott shows, but he never hit it off with Last of the Summer Wine, in my books.
On 25th May 2016 9:34am, Old Lincolnian said: Indeed sad news about Burt Kwouk. He was a very good serious actor as well as a fine comedy actor. Entwistle (from the mysterious East aka Hull) was the only reason I watched the later series of "Last of the Summer Wine". I read an interview with him after he had become famous as Cato in the Pink Panther series in which he said he'd not told his relatives in China he was an actor because it was not considered to be a reputable profession. My thoughts are with his family.
On 27th May 2016 2:21pm, Helen F said: I only found out he was a Warrington man after he died. Very sad. I actually liked Last of the Summer Wine better with the gang that included Burt Kwouk and he was probably my favourite.
Obituaries
Midland Red

All posts by this member
13 of 58  Sat 2nd Jul 2016 4:27pm  

Caroline Ahearn - sad news as yet another talent passes away in 2016 Sad RIP Denise
On 2nd Jul 2016 7:56pm, mickw said: God bless Caroline RIP.
Obituaries
Midland Red

All posts by this member
14 of 58  Mon 26th Sep 2016 7:44am  

Sad news this morning at the passing of another "all-time great", golfing legend Arnold Palmer Sad
On 26th Sep 2016 8:21am, Slim said: I caught the tail end of this when I turned my car radio on this morning. I was a golf fanatic from an early age (we lived right opposite the 15th tee of the Hearsall), and the great names in the sixties were Gary Player and Arnie Palmer.
Obituaries
Midland Red

All posts by this member
15 of 58  Sat 15th Oct 2016 8:06am  

Jean Alexander - RIP Hilda Ogden / Auntie Wainwright Sad
Obituaries

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 58 posts

Page 1 of 4

1 2 3 4
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Coventry Weather Bulletins
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry Speedway
View similar topics in the Non-Coventry category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 51ms)