No actionNo action
23 posts:
Order:    

NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
16 of 23  Sun 23rd Nov 2014 4:57pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:854

You spelt it correct Tricia, Jimmy was a guy you wouldn't mess with, he used to come to some demolition sites because he was a friend of our foreman. The last I heard of him he was living in Grove Street. Thumbs up
Milly rules

Boxing rings and black peas
john bishop

All posts by this member
17 of 23  Sun 23rd Nov 2014 5:18pm  
Total posts:73

Yes, I knew Jimmy Lynas very well indeed, he used to come down the Jaguar pub, Corporation St. very often. I was at a meeting after he died, we had a collection to get him a headstone for his grave, he rests in London Road cemetery. He was about 48 when he died. He beat the future middleweight champion of the world [Dick Tiger] over 8 rounds in '56 then lost to Dick later on in '56. Thumbs up Edited by member, 23rd Nov 2014 5:46 pm
Tricia
18 of 23  Mon 24th Nov 2014 11:15am  
Off-topic / chat  

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
19 of 23  Mon 24th Nov 2014 2:56pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2125

Yes, I knew Jimmy very well, used to go in the Continental a lot, before he was married. No he wasn't as good as Les Allen. But I still never heard of black peas, not a Coventry thing, not a Coventry thing at all. Mushy peas, now you're talking. But we also had scratchings, way back. I have to stop, getting hungry.
Dreamtime
20 of 23  Tue 25th Nov 2014 2:02pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Blue79
Auckland
All posts by this member
21 of 23  Mon 4th May 2015 8:09pm  
Member: Joined May 2015  Total posts:1

Tricia, Ha the trick with boxing rings is not to step inside them, them fair ground ones wasn't so bad if you was carrying the hat among the audience. Kaga, I really hated watching the boxing and don't remember much about the fight, I think I must have had my eyes closed most of the time, but I do remember someone collecting money in a hat for the winner. Another thing that has come to mind is the name of the guy that was boxing, I don't know if I'm right but I think his name was name Jimmy Lynas (don't know how to spell it). This must have been circa 1962. Does anyone remember this Coventry boxer? Below is his boxing record. Lol Thumbs up http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=13491&cat=boxer
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
22 of 23  Tue 5th May 2015 9:38am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4016

Hello & welcome to you, Blue79. Wave Thank you for your post. Thumbs up
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
23 of 23  Tue 5th May 2015 10:39am  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:359

Yeah, I knew Jimmy fairly well in the 70's. He was also a brilliant cardsharp and I remember well him fleecing a few unfortunate customers in the Climax pub, top of the Arcade, of a couple of quid. Same old routine, let them win a couple of times, then ..... He was popular on the club scene and frequently worked on the doors.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 23 of 23 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

South Street - Schools and Topshops
|

Next (newer) topic

WWII RAF Training Centre