1 of 15  Tue 11th Nov 2014 2:11am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2867

A Special Day (11th of the 11th)
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 15  Tue 11th Nov 2014 8:10am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1557

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning, We will remember them. Lest we forget.
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
3 of 15  Tue 11th Nov 2014 8:52am  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:297

A poem worth reading for the 11TH He was getting old and paunchy And his hair was falling fast, And he sat around the Legion, Telling stories of the past. Of a war that he once fought in And the deeds that he had done, In his exploits with his buddies; They were heroes, every one. And 'tho sometimes to his neighbours His tales became a joke, All his buddies listened quietly For they knew where of he spoke. But we'll hear his tales no longer, For ol' Joe has passed away, And the world's a little poorer For a Soldier died today. He won't be mourned by many, Just his children and his wife. For he lived an ordinary, Very quiet sort of life. He held a job and raised a family, Going quietly on his way; And the world won't note his passing, 'Tho a Soldier died today. When politicians leave this earth, Their bodies lie in state, While thousands note their passing, And proclaim that they were great. Papers tell of their life stories From the time that they were young But the passing of a Soldier Goes unnoticed, and unsung. Is the greatest contribution To the welfare of our land, Some jerk who breaks his promise And cons his fellow man? Or the ordinary fellow Who in times of war and strife, Goes off to serve his country And offers up his life? The politician's stipend And the style in which he lives, Are often disproportionate, To the service that he gives. While the ordinary Soldier, Who offered up his all, Is paid off with a medal And perhaps a pension, small. It is not the politicians With their compromise and ploys, Who won for us the freedom That our country now enjoys. Should you find yourself in danger, With your enemies at hand, Would you really want some cop-out, With his ever waffling stand? Or would you want a Soldier His home, his country, his kin, Just a common Soldier, Who would fight until the end. He was just a common Soldier, And his ranks are growing thin, But his presence should remind us We may need his likes again. For when countries are in conflict, We find the Soldier's part Is to clean up all the troubles That the politicians start. If we cannot do him honour While he's here to hear the praise, Then at least let's give him homage At the ending of his days. Perhaps just a simple headline In the paper that might say: "OUR COUNTRY IS IN MOURNING, A SOLDIER DIED TODAY."
Pauline H
Hampshire
All posts by this member
4 of 15  Tue 11th Nov 2014 9:32am  
Member: Joined Jan 2014  Total posts:37

Thank you wearethemods what a lovely and true that poem is..
Blueleader
Coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 15  Tue 11th Nov 2014 9:49am  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:39

Brilliant poem!
Ric Osborne

morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
6 of 15  Tue 11th Nov 2014 10:58am  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2369

Wonderful poem Wearethemods, sadly so true thanks. The Green Fields Of France: youtu.be/ntt3wy-L8Ok
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
7 of 15  Tue 11th Nov 2014 11:59am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4190

Some images from a very special place
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
8 of 15  Tue 11th Nov 2014 1:54pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1557

Beautiful photographs Cliff, thank you for posting
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
9 of 15  Tue 11th Nov 2014 2:00pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2867

A big THANK YOU from me too. We will always be indebted to our fighting forces no matter where they serve.
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
10 of 15  Tue 11th Nov 2014 2:04pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:297

Very poignant Cliff. Thanks for posting On a similar vein November 14th next year will be the 75th Anniversary of the first wholescale Blitz on the City of course
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
11 of 15  Tue 11th Nov 2014 3:45pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1579

Midland red, Your second photo 'Pegasus' Could you please tell me where the monument stands, and when placed there? Thank you Kaga.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
12 of 15  Tue 11th Nov 2014 5:08pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4190

I take it you realise that The Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces Memorial is at The National Memorial Arboretum in Staffordshire? On that assumption, I take it you wish to know the location within the site - it is marked with the yellow circle on this Google View My photos of the memorial are here
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
13 of 15  Wed 12th Nov 2014 9:30am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1579

Midland red, thank you for that, No I had no idea, every time I try to find out it comes up with Duxford. I have been to the Arnhem one in Holland, and the old museum at Aldershot neither can I find about re-unions, as you can guess I'm knew to this computer and struggling but I'll get there, thanks again Kaga.
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
14 of 15  Wed 12th Nov 2014 12:08pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:989

Perhaps this is what you are looking for Kaga Paras Reunion Apologies to John Bishop as copied from his posts
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
15 of 15  Wed 12th Nov 2014 3:42pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:681

Thanks Midland Red. My Uncle is commemorated in Staffordshire. His plane crashed just after the war was over and it's fitting that those who died when supposedly it was all over are remembered too.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Cow Lane
|

Next (newer) topic

Caludon Castle (ruin)
View similar topics in the Wartime and the Blitz category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 628ms)