No actionNo action
37 posts:
Order:    

walrus
cheshire
All posts by this member
31 of 37  Tue 3rd Apr 2018 8:01pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2011  Total posts:209

Thanks so much for that MR, really amazed to see that the incident made the paper. I obviously mixed up the boys' names as it was little David who tragically drowned. Thanks again.
Cottage on Stoney Stanton Road
Les
Sussex
All posts by this member
32 of 37  Wed 4th Apr 2018 2:14pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2018  Total posts:3

Thank you for posting the Coventry Telegraph story, I was only just turned six years old at the time, but remember it so well. Could I request a copy of the front page from the accident!! I remember seeing the cutting complete with photo, unfortunately we cannot find it, must have been lost or deteriorated with age. Kind regards, Les Wood.
Les
Sussex
All posts by this member
33 of 37  Wed 4th Apr 2018 3:49pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2018  Total posts:3

Hi Walrus. Yes I am a Wood Thumbs up I had 4 elder brothers, Reg, George, John, David, sadly all passed away at early ages, then there was Peter, Joan, me and my little sister Linda. Dad was Reg, mum was Joan. I remember John was a butcher, Reg worked for a wholesale company then on to Marks and Spencer's. Not sure what job George was doing!! David was in the building trade, he worked with two Jamaican brothers who I believe owned a builders yard where the Mosque is now! We moved from Coventry after our dad passed away in 1972. Some great memories on here. Thanks all.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
34 of 37  Fri 6th Apr 2018 9:58am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4819

On 4th Apr 2018 2:14pm, Les said: Thank you for posting the Coventry Telegraph story, I was only just turned six years old at the time, but remember it so well. Could I request a copy of the front page from the accident!! I remember seeing the cutting complete with photo, unfortunately we cannot find it, must have been lost or deteriorated with age. Kind regards, Les Wood.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
35 of 37  Sun 8th Apr 2018 11:42am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1981

This picture above is the cottage I posted on 7 of this topic, I knew it well for something like 15 years. It was rented by my aunt and uncle. The only way I knew to get to it was down an alley between the houses on Bell Green Road. The cottage was surrounded by a well kept lawn with a couple of apple trees. My aunt had a couple of boys born about the early 1920's - we all played together there, with the Rose boys. They were both into the forces at the beginning of the war. The younger one came home shot to pieces and parts missing, the elder I don't think made it back. My aunt, my dad's sister, could not stay in the cottage where the boys had played so happily, and moved sometime in the fifties to Thrupp near Oxford. Their name was Randle. The Friday morning after the blitz, dad and I cycled to that cottage to see if they were ok. We then went on to Roses Garage, another sister of my dad's - they too had two boys the same age. The last time I saw the eldest he had done about ten ops over Germany with Bomber Command. I lost touch with them all from then onwards.
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
36 of 37  Sun 8th Apr 2018 3:24pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2012  Total posts:403

Is this anywhere near being correct regarding the long entry on Bell Green Road?
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
37 of 37  Mon 9th Apr 2018 10:13am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1981

Heathite. Yes, I believe so, there was only one entry as I remember. I never knew how they numbered those cottages. Thank you.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 31 to 37 of 37 posts

Page 3 of 3

1 2 3
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry School of Music
|

Next (newer) topic

Forum Breakfast Meet-ups
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 5th April 2018  (Load time: 113ms)