Next pageLast page
37 posts:
Order:    

Greg
Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 37  Wed 10th Dec 2014 3:58pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2011  Total posts:263

I wondered whether anyone had any information about this historic cottage? It is opposite Eden Street and about 50yds from MacDonalds (Gallagher). I believe it may be under threat of demolition and the outbuilding suggests it might have been involved with weaving or watchmaking.
Cottage on Stoney Stanton Road
Kickstarter
Coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 37  Wed 10th Dec 2014 4:22pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2014  Total posts:2

I don`t remember the 1850`s but in the 1950/60s it was a builders yard, next to the Navigation park.
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
3 of 37  Wed 10th Dec 2014 4:32pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3000

The style of the main building suggests watchmaking.
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 37  Wed 10th Dec 2014 8:07pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:868

Could have been ribbon makers or watch makers, or anything else that required workshops (baker, carpenter, engineer, etc.) - the house is generic Victorian 'cheap' brick terrace which was pretty common in the city (it was in economic decline during most of the Victorian era and new builds were mainly cheaply built). I lived in a similarly styled house in the back streets of Stoke some years ago and oddly noticed some today around side streets in Earlsdon. I believe like Earlsdon, this area was only built up with sporadic developments over the years. There was a street of watchmakers further towards the city centre (I think it's all gone now). If anyone has access to census data, the surname 'Warner' pops up being linked to 624 Stoney Stanton road (I think). The detailed data should give a profession. The building and associated land appears to be up sale as development land. So I wouldn't be surprised if it gets flattened and someone builds a pile of houses on the site.
Greg
Coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 37  Wed 10th Dec 2014 8:14pm  

I believe Macdonalds has applied for planning permission to develop `adjacent land`.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
6 of 37  Wed 10th Dec 2014 8:25pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1251

Flapdoodle, William Warner at 624 Stoney Stanton Road was a ribbon weaver at home in 1911. He was then 70
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
7 of 37  Thu 11th Dec 2014 4:11pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2306

If you came out of Proffitt Ave and turned right there were about 3/4 large houses stood on the roadside, one may have been a hairdressers in 1950 time but there was a pathway in between leading to a house that stood on its own in a garden behind them. If so, my aunt lived there, before the war. Her son talked of opening a hairdressers on the main road when he returned from the war. Then I lost touch. Kaga.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
8 of 37  Thu 11th Dec 2014 4:51pm  

Greg, if I remember, Eden St was very small terraced houses alongside the pub, along the main street was Paradise Row, on the opposite side next to the canal stood the tank, so did this house stand next to the tank? Can't think what was on that side of the road way back. So annoying, all those years one passed by a place so many times, never gave it a second glance.
jvb
Kenilworth
All posts by this member
9 of 37  Thu 11th Dec 2014 11:40pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:34

Just to go back to the original topic - the workshop in the top picture was attached to the end of the row of houses seen being demolished in the newspaper article. Yes, the house and workshop were a builders yard until at least the early 1980's. I have a feeling that the family that owned it then may still own it. The row of houses which were demolished stretched all the way to the corner of Cross Road, and they were tall three storey ones, all with top shops with large windows on the top floor. The demolition must have taken place circa 1975, as I passed them every day on my way to school - only after 1971- and remember them clearly. I don't know of any others of the same style which still remain in the city in their original condition. They were slightly similar to the well known ones on Cash's Lane, but much simpler and probably of an earlier date (I guess around 1830) There is a terrace of houses which still exist on Hurst Road in Longford (near the junction with Longford Road) which were originally of the same design but had their top-shop windows filled in during the 1970's/80's.
jvb
Kenilworth
All posts by this member
10 of 37  Thu 11th Dec 2014 11:53pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:34

I've just found a photo on the 'Britain from Above' website which includes the terrace: Edited by member, 11th Dec 2014 11:54 pm
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
11 of 37  Fri 12th Dec 2014 12:00am  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3000

^^^Those three-storey buildings look more like weaver's cottages.
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
12 of 37  Fri 12th Dec 2014 10:10am  
Member: Joined Oct 2014  Total posts:823

Over the canal bridge Stoney Stanton Rd the Navigation pub was on the left almost on the corner of Eden St where the Adam and Eve pub was/is and the cottage was almost opposite. Now then, I thought the field with the tank was just beyond that cottage and beyond that on the right was a row of conventional houses the first house next to the tank had been converted to a shoe shop. I am probably wrong but I thought the image above was between Proffitt Ave and the canal with Sewall Highway on far left. If it is beyond the canal then what is that road on the left? Norman Edited by member, 12th Dec 2014 10:38 am
Just old and knackered

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
13 of 37  Fri 12th Dec 2014 10:55am  

Norman Conquest, yes, at first I thought Greg's photo was before the canal, but JVB says between the canal and Cross Street. I thought the railings around the tank was on the top of the canal bank, and as you say then the shoe shop, so Greg how far is the house from the canal?
mickmitro
tile hill coventry
All posts by this member
14 of 37  Fri 12th Dec 2014 10:58am  
Member: Joined Feb 2013  Total posts:26

H. Sykes and Son's, the builders, lived there and also used it as a builders yard. I know one of the Sykes family was living there 7 years ago and could well be still there. I believe the family lived there as far back as 60s, 70s and maybe earlier than that.
Greg
Coventry
All posts by this member
15 of 37  Sat 13th Dec 2014 4:25pm  

On 12th Dec 2014 10:55am, Kaga simpson said: Greg how far is the house from the canal?
I checked, this afternoon, and the cottage is about 200 yards on the town side of the canal. I remember, as a kid, seeing the base that the tank was on and it must have been next to this cottage.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 37 posts

Page 1 of 3

1 2 3
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Coventry School of Music
|

Next (newer) topic

Bishopgate / Bishop Gate