No actionNo action
11 posts:
Order:    

MILES-FAN
Southampton
All posts by this member
1 of 11  Sun 14th Dec 2014 11:53am  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:11

Hi, I am researching the racing driver Ken Miles. Whilst working at Morris Engines, Courthouse Green, he was involved in a road accident. Sadly I do not know exactly when, sometime during the years 1947/48. I read in a American car magazine article that he was driving a Morris prototype and hit another car head on. I have no other information and would like to learn more. Does any members here have access to old Coventry newspapers that might have come across this story, it must have been reported surely. Paul
Fan of Ken Miles the racing driver

Ken Miles, racing driver
bohica
coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 11  Sun 14th Dec 2014 5:05pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:294

The Australian newspaper archives are much more forthcoming. Racing driver killed. You might find a lot out by starting from scratch here. IIRC New Zealand has lots of free newspaper archives as well. Best of luck
Ken Miles, racing driver
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
3 of 11  Sun 14th Dec 2014 10:09pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2128

Scroll down on here to Jim O'Neill, not sure if this is of any help. It also mentions Miles on a Le Mans link too
Ken Miles, racing driver
mcsporran
Coventry & Cebu
All posts by this member
4 of 11  Mon 15th Dec 2014 8:44am  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:458

It seems much has been written about Ken Miles life in the USA but very little covering his beginnings in England. Unfortunately the local newspapers have not been indexed for that date so it is unlikely a report of a 'minor' accident could be found unless a more precise date can be discovered. If the car was a prototype it would likely be the Morris Mosquito which was introduced in 1948 as the Minor. Perhaps a history of the development of this vehicle may mention the incident, or maybe a biography of Alec Issigonis. Have you tried contacting the author of the magazine article that refers to the accident?
Ken Miles, racing driver
MILES-FAN
Southampton
All posts by this member
5 of 11  Mon 15th Dec 2014 9:35am  

Morgana, good link that, I enjoyed it, I have a model car of the MGA which Miles raced at Le Mans in 1955. mcsporran, I should have been more specific, you are right in saying there has been a lot written about Ken Miles exploits in America. I am only writing about his early motoring days in England up to 1951. I am researching the different cars he owned/raced in club hill climbs and cars he worked on. He helped build 5 Emeryson single seater racing cars in early 1951 in Rushall. Interesting you say about the Morris Mosquito, I shall look into it. Also I did contact the writer of the story which I mentioned above, he said everything he knew was in the article. Ken Miles moved on from Morris Engines in late 1948 to Webley Scott then Parker Hale.

Ken Miles, racing driver
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
6 of 11  Mon 15th Dec 2014 10:20am  

Thumbs up 1963 Ken Miles Sunbeam Tiger prototype. It states here the Af3 was flown over from Coventry.
Ken Miles, racing driver
MILES-FAN
Southampton
All posts by this member
7 of 11  Mon 15th Dec 2014 10:28am  

The Sunbeam Tiger is a beautiful little car, thanks for the link.

Question

Ken Miles, racing driver
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
8 of 11  Mon 15th Dec 2014 11:05am  

You're welcome. Ken Miles' Cars.
Ken Miles, racing driver
MILES-FAN
Southampton
All posts by this member
9 of 11  Mon 15th Dec 2014 9:16pm  

On 15th Dec 2014 8:44am, mcsporran said: Have you tried contacting the author of the magazine article that refers to the accident?
This is the line from the magazine written in 1959. "The car was a closed sedan, a special housing an experimental MG engine in a modified Morris Minor chassis". The year was most likely 1948.

Ken Miles, racing driver
mcsporran
Coventry & Cebu
All posts by this member
10 of 11  Tue 16th Dec 2014 6:45pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:458

The Minor was of unibody design so did not have a conventional chassis. According to this page there were eight prototypes built between 14th June and 2nd September 1948. Some of these had a new flat four engine that was dropped from the production cars. The first production car was completed 20th September 1948 in time for the Earls Court show in October. By modern standards this timescale seems hardly believable, but if true narrows any search for an accident report considerably. This page claims there were Wolseley and MG prototypes, but it's not clear if these were additional. It sounds like this book may contain a more detailed story of the Mosquito/Minor development. The flat four engine is illustrated here.
Ken Miles, racing driver
MILES-FAN
Southampton
All posts by this member
11 of 11  Wed 17th Dec 2014 10:02am  

mcsporran, very interesting, thanks for the links. I shall investigate further.

Ken Miles, racing driver

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Emily Doris Pratt
|

Next (newer) topic

Johnny Medlock, musician