No actionNo action
112 posts:
Order:    

Osmiroid
UK
All posts by this member
106 of 112  Fri 4th Aug 2017 3:29am  
Member: Joined Aug 2013  Total posts:275

On 12th Mar 2017 2:56pm, Heathite said: Hmm . .
A note on the spelling, if you look carefully you can see it is 'curiositie'. This spelling also matches the one in Little Butcher Row
Butcher Row
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
107 of 112  Fri 4th Aug 2017 6:15pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:714

I'm quite poor at being able to put the different images in strict time order so I don't know if the shop moved to or from Little Butcher Row or even if they were two branches of the same emporium. But I do think that they were related. The location on Little Butcher Row was very quaint.
Butcher Row
Osmiroid
UK
All posts by this member
108 of 112  Fri 4th Aug 2017 7:09pm  

Yes, same thoughts myself! YOCS
Butcher Row
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
109 of 112  Mon 7th Aug 2017 5:25pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1682

There was a shop in one of those old streets I vaguely remember - there were oriental fans and trinkets in the window so you couldn't see in. The entrance door had a large colourful advert of some eastern circus or such on the plate glass window, so you couldn't see much through that either. As you entered the shop a small eastern bell tinkled as you closed the door behind you. A large room with narrow tables full of antiques, Chinese porcelain vases, trinkets, gift clocks, fans, in a mass of colour. Pieces of statuary pictures on the wall, faded print dresses, small foreign stamp albums of decorated wood. More antiques on shelves. Chop-sticks, small boxes of coloured candles and a sweet smell of perfume. As a kid you just couldn't take it all in in one visit, so I went a few times. I have no idea of what the shop was called but the shield does jog the mind.
Butcher Row
Osmiroid
UK
All posts by this member
110 of 112  Mon 7th Aug 2017 6:24pm  

Very atmospheric Kaga! Could it be the shop next door, William something? Although it does sound like it should be a place named YOCS. I'm wondering about that, saying "cabinet maker" etc below the shield, if the following owners just kept the shield sign and let it fade. Although in the photo a lot of small items in the window- not looking like a carpentry shop. ?x1000!
Butcher Row
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
111 of 112  Thu 10th Aug 2017 12:33pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1682

Osmiroid, I see little difference in what the old folk called Yocs and Antique shop of course the main difference for me are all the old photo's were taken with few people and very clean. But I as a kid with those narrow streets felt they were packed with people and could see little of the big picture of today, or little difference in the streets, all narrow, over jutting and the streets very messy. As you say shopkeepers, they could talk to one another and still be in their own space to conduct business. I had a young aunt who was still in the mood of the twenties with beads and loose flowered dresses, head bands etc. who we all adored but would drag me and my sister into that particular shop. It sold a lot more than I can remember. I believe it was a great place to live in those days despite the set backs (toilets etc) we see of it today.
Butcher Row
Osmiroid
UK
All posts by this member
112 of 112  Thu 10th Aug 2017 2:50pm  

Here is a bit more on next door to YOCS, William Franks, who I'd heard of, can't remember seeing it visually until this. Edited by member, 10th Aug 2017 2:51 pm
Butcher Row

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 106 to 112 of 112 posts

Page 8 of 8

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Railways around Coventry
|

Next (newer) topic

Wingrave photos from 1860s
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 51ms)