Next pageNo action
138 posts:
Order:    

Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
121 of 138  Fri 29th Dec 2017 7:32pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1339

Once again Kaga we are indebted to you for your insight into the past. It's easy for us nowadays to criticise what appeared to be poor decisions before the war, especially the "butchering" of many old streets, but as always, with a bit of perspective given to us by someone who lived through those times, we are able to glean some of the reasoning that might have been used in those far off darker times. Many thanks for helping us to understand our heritage a little better.
Butcher Row
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
122 of 138  Sat 31st Mar 2018 9:36am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1125

A really nice and early image of Butcher Row. Note the two jettied buildings on the left. Usually images only show one and a later brick building. William Morris Gallery
Butcher Row
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
123 of 138  Wed 30th May 2018 6:22am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1815

and an 1863 dated engraving looking the other way - Edited by member, 30th May 2018 6:25 am
Butcher Row
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
124 of 138  Sun 10th Jun 2018 3:20am  

Some good detail here on a busy shopping day for one of our most favourite buildings in LBR -
Butcher Row
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
125 of 138  Mon 11th Jun 2018 6:16pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2305

NeilsYard, Nice clear photo, I do so wish we had a date, those iron bedsteads, where we used to have to polish the brass corner knobs, we used to unscrew them and leave little notes to each other inside them.
Butcher Row
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
126 of 138  Mon 11th Jun 2018 9:56pm  

Sorry Kaga - I do try to add dates when I know them. Can never get enough of Butcher and Little Butcher though
Butcher Row
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
127 of 138  Wed 13th Jun 2018 3:54pm  

NeilsYard No need to be sorry, I'm pleased with everything you post, but dates help me to re-live the part kinda. The Olde Curiosity Shop, did you note the window box at the top and the side, and I believe on the balcony just above the word Olde was a bird cage with a lovely singing bird that filled the street with song. Both the Row and Little Row were just called 'Market Row' - as everyone got pay packets in their hand on Fridays then the Row stayed open till it was almost dark. Most women knew the stall sellers and shopmen. The crockery man was called the Potman, he sold pots and pans; the fish man was Sourpuss, always grumpy; the fruit man was Gabby, talked too much; the the carpet man was Lino, and so forth - the women named them well. It was like a shopping lane, bootsale, and market all rolled into one. By the time I was six/seven my mother would embarrass me. She would stand at the pot stall, admire a painted mug or cup, ask "how much?" "Eight pence to you, lady", shake her head and walk away - few minutes later she would walk back, pick it up, "how much?" "Eight pennies", shake her head, walk away. Come back later, both she and the pot man had an uncomfortable feeling by now. "Do ya want it for six-pence?" he said. Mother picked up the mug, counted out six pennies, gave them to the pot man, who wrapped it in newspaper, grumbling to himself. Mother walked away smiling - times were hard but she gave me the two pennies she had saved, it took me to the tuppenny rush at the Rivoli next morning.
Butcher Row
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
128 of 138  Wed 13th Jun 2018 5:29pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5009

Brill, Kaga Cheers Wave Thumbs up
Butcher Row
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
129 of 138  Fri 15th Jun 2018 2:31am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3125

Must be womens' logic, Kaga, we are born with it. Lol Lol
Butcher Row
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
130 of 138  Mon 2nd Jul 2018 10:48pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:541

Here a photo of the demise of Butcher Row, Neil.
Butcher Row
Osmiroid
UK
All posts by this member
131 of 138  Mon 2nd Jul 2018 11:10pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2013  Total posts:356

Amazing, but very, very sad picture!
Butcher Row
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
132 of 138  Fri 6th Jul 2018 12:14pm  

If they find my yo-yo, can I have it back please.
Butcher Row
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
133 of 138  Fri 6th Jul 2018 9:27pm  

Thanks Prof - Yes I have seen that one before - but try not to look at it too much! Sad
Butcher Row
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
134 of 138  Sat 7th Jul 2018 5:01pm  

Neil Y. For people from the north parts of the city the trams stopped right outside the top of Butcher Row. So it was first point to visit, and to me always seemed crowded. There was always something cosy about Butcher Row, which always seemed longer than it really was there was so much to see, the pleasant aromas and bustle of the Row and more than what the address can tell you today. You could spend a good time looking at what was around you, the overhanging buildings, the nooks and crannies. The butcher's shop, besides all the meat, there were pork pies, some a foot across, tubs of lard, tubs of dripping, shelves of tins of oxo, gravy granules, jars of mustard, spices, and both metal and wood skewers (good for tent pegs). Across the yard wicker baskets and tin baths full of crockery, plates, pudding basins the like you won't see today, painted crockery with birds, fish, flowers. A shop had loads of pen-knives tied on thick paper, the knives about three inches long, half inch wide, with gaily coloured casing, all hung down the side of the door. A barrel full of mouse traps of all sizes and strengths, wooden clothes pegs, kids' paint boxes. The choice was endless, I loved it. All in a friendly way without agro.
Butcher Row
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
135 of 138  Sat 28th Jul 2018 9:11am  
Member: Joined Aug 2012  Total posts:499

A nice clear atmospheric image of 1892 Butcher Row.
Butcher Row

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 121 to 135 of 138 posts

Page 9 of 10

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Favourite Books
|

Next (newer) topic

Humber / Hillman / Rootes / Chrysler / Peugeot