No actionNo action
27 posts:
Order:    

andamanaffair
Galashiels
All posts by this member
16 of 27  Mon 31st Mar 2014 11:18am  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:5

Having found this post, I have enclosed a photograph taken at our leaving of the school in 1956. All the faces are still familiar but I have forgotten many of the names. However, of the following, I am reasonably sure. I must apologise in advance for any errors, omissions or mis-namings. Perhaps somebody can help to fill the gaps or correct any mistakes. Front row :- l to r. Norman Gault, Roger Liggins, Colin Sheldon, ??, Jeffrey Wass. Second Row :- l to r. ??, ??, ??, ??, ??, Lillian Proctor, Rosemary White, Vivienne Nelmes, ??, ??, Pam or Pat Hill, Madeleine Cook (?). Third Row :- l to r: Miss Lucas (Headmistress), ??, Catherine Beresford, ??, Pauline Drew, Gillian ?, ??, ??, Diane Best, ??, ??, Mr D H Jones. Back Row :- l to r. Peter Delaney, Alan Ashby, ??, Michael Johnston, Paul (?) Bonham, ??, Christopher Pacey, ??, Phillip Sadgrove, Neville Wade.
Ravensdale School
ang1950
Coventry
All posts by this member
17 of 27  Thu 3rd Apr 2014 10:35am  
Member: Joined May 2010  Total posts:15

This photo with son in it (2nd from right on front row) was taken about 1980 in his 4th year at primary school (he was born 1971) at RAVENSDALE SCHOOL, WYKEN, Coventry. Mr. French as headmaster. That's all I know of names, I'm afraid!
Ravensdale School
TonyS
18 of 27  Thu 3rd Apr 2014 10:52am  
Off-topic / chat  

paulguy
Paignton
All posts by this member
19 of 27  Sun 18th Jan 2015 5:12pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2015  Total posts:35

Anybody got any photos of Ravensdale school from 1959-1965? I remember Headmistriss Miss Lucas, teachers Mrs Ison, Mr Knight, Mr Crossman, Miss Seville.

Question

Ravensdale School
jonboy
styvechale coventry
All posts by this member
20 of 27  Tue 27th Jan 2015 11:53am  
Member: Joined Dec 2014  Total posts:28

Ref. this photo posted by Rob Orland, I remember the teacher on the back row second in from the right. Although I'd left Ravensdale Rd before the photograph was taken I believe his name was Ray Challis. He was a member of the Communist Party and could be seen selling copies of the Daily Worker in the centre of Coventry on Saturdays.
Ravensdale School
trebor
Coventry
All posts by this member
21 of 27  Sun 28th Jun 2015 8:20pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2013  Total posts:1

I attended Wyken School (later renamed Ravensdale) from 1947-1953. I was taught by several of the teachers in the photo of the Junior staff. I can identify most of them as follows. Back row L to R - Mr Davidson, Mrs Spencer, Mr Hart, Mrs Davies, Mr Challis, Mrs Harris? Front row L to R - Mr D C Jones, ??, Mrs Ison (deputy head) Miss Lucas (head), ??, ??, Mr Tucker
kimbers@tinyworld.co.uk

Ravensdale School
Connaught
Sussex
All posts by this member
22 of 27  Sun 19th Jul 2015 8:54am  
Member: Joined Apr 2013  Total posts:3

On 25th Nov 2011 8:51pm, Rob Orland said:
Reference the Ravensdale photos, I am sure the two Headmistresses are Mrs Liggins and Miss Lucas. Back row includes Mrs Spencer (my last teacher there) next to Mr Hart (him and me just didn't get on!). Isn't the BIG lady Mrs Davis (always shouting) and next to her Mr Challis. I liked Mrs Ison, lived in Longfellow Road. Ah, happy days though not sure we thought so at the time.
Ravensdale School
jonboy
styvechale coventry
All posts by this member
23 of 27  Tue 21st Jul 2015 4:12pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2014  Total posts:28

I think you're right Connaught, the big lady is Mrs. Davis. I was in her class in 1949, a very large class of about fifty pupils. She kept perfect order by bellowing at everyone and she used to call us all 'vulgar children'. Another teacher who hasn't been mentioned was Mrs Balloch, a lovely lady who tragically was murdered by her own son in 1955 or 1956. She was bludgeoned to death with a marble statue of a horse. She was living at the time in Longfellow Rd.
Ravensdale School
lana56
LINCOLNSHIRE
All posts by this member
24 of 27  Mon 6th Mar 2017 9:11pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2017  Total posts:1

On 24th Oct 2012 6:09pm, Beesman said: I attended Ravensdale School from 1961-1967, members of staff I remember are as follows. Miss Lucas (very formidable lady), Mrs Klennet, Miss Hay, Mrs Carter, Mr Griffiths, Mrs Ison, Mrs Harris, Mr Barnard (nasty piece of work) and Mrs Hill who was Peter Hill's wife while he was the trainer at Coventry City FC. Mr French took over as headmaster a year before I left. His sister was school secretary at KHVIII which was my next seat of learning. I played in goal for Ravensdale during the 1966/67 season alongside Alan Manger, Hansen McClay, Stephen Sharples, Peter Faulkner, Tony May, Robert Geddis, Terry Holcroft, Philip Ward and a couple of others whose names elude me! Well, it was 45 years ago! Big grin
Hi. I was at Ravensdale to from 1962/3 to 1967.
Lana

Ravensdale School
Poetscorner
UK
All posts by this member
25 of 27  Tue 7th Mar 2017 9:07am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:7

Hi all, here's another Ravensdale pic, in colour too! Taken in front of the infants school on Ravensdale Road side of the school, probably in the mid/early 60's. I'm in the back row, 3rd from the left in the green jumper ;-) I can remember lots of the names so my grey matter is not all slush yet. I've got another one somewhere, so if anybody's interested I'll look it out. Btw Lana, your old footy buddy Terry Holcroft is in the front row on the rhs. My yrs at Ravensdale were 62-69.
Ravensdale School
Beesman
Cornwall
All posts by this member
26 of 27  Tue 7th Mar 2017 6:17pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2012  Total posts:370

Hi Poetscorner, it was me that played football with Terry Holcroft!👍 I'm sure I must know some more faces on that photograph! Edited by member, 7th Mar 2017 6:19 pm
Ravensdale School
CallyParkKid
California, USA
All posts by this member
27 of 27  Sat 18th Mar 2017 12:02am  
Member: Joined Mar 2017  Total posts:1

Hi there, Beesman! I'm a new member (as of 5 mins ago) and was wondering if the Terry Holcroft you mention was related to Mrs. Holcroft, my favorite teacher at Wyken Croft School. I was at Ravensdale Infants from 1948-50 (?) while they were building Wyken Croft School and then got transferred to Wyken C as soon as it opened. Damn, what a change that was! From an old Nissan Hut, with a coal/coke stove for heating, to a brand-new, state-of-the art palace! And only a 5 mins run (across the Ansty Rd from Farren Rd) to school each day, instead of being dragged for 30 minutes, halfway across Wyken, by my big brother, Roger, to the Ravensdale annexe. My lasting (and, frankly, only) memory of Ravensdale was not knowing what 8 fours were during our "Times Table"' test. Miss Lucas (who was, I am sure, a fine lady, but who scared the bejeezus out of me and everybody else with even the slightest bit of self-preservation instinct) made me stand in the corner, in front of that blazing, pot-bellied, stove repeating how many 8 x 4 made for what seemed an eternity. Would, without doubt, have been classed as child abuse nowadays, but it worked and, trust me, I may still have trouble with 11 x 11, but, dammit, I know 8 fours make 32 ...... or is it 33 ....? Aahh ..... nostalgia, eh.

Question

Ravensdale School

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 27 of 27 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

St Nicholas Church, Radford
|

Next (newer) topic

School Days, memories & outings
View similar topics in the Schools and Education category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 30th April 2018  (Load time: 163ms)