No actionNo action
327 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
316 of 327  Tue 19th Sep 2017 10:05am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1734

Shortly Michael Portillo will be doing a documentary on Shepton Mallet, may be of interest to some of our ex-service forum members. Shepton Mallet was an Army jail (Glasshouse) that was feared, kept much of a secret during the war, but about 1943 time the Yanks used it for a couple of years, here they had a death row and executions. It also held some of Britain's hardest villains in 1945. Life was so bad for them they self-inflicted injuries, jumped off balconies etc to get a brief spell in hospital. The prison hospital was a few miles away at Shaftesbury, where I met some of them (as a guard), not a pleasant experience for an eighteen year old Coventry kid.
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
317 of 327  Tue 19th Sep 2017 10:20am  

Midland Red, then I got my dates wrong, sorry about that. It was definitely the Junkers crash I visited. But I never heard of a second crash, although I visited the Half Moon pub, Withybrook, often during that time. Our friends' farm was down the switchback lane of that village.
Our Kaga
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
318 of 327  Tue 19th Sep 2017 3:51pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4468

A bit more info about the Junkers crash - it hit balloon cable site 4, 916 Squadron, was wrecked, some bombs exploded, some jettisoned over Coventry Does anyone know the balloon cable location?

Question

Our Kaga
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
319 of 327  Tue 19th Sep 2017 3:56pm  

On 19th Sep 2017 10:20am, Kaga simpson said: Midland Red, then I got my dates wrong, sorry about that. It was definitely the Junkers crash I visited. But I never heard of a second crash, although I visited the Half Moon pub, Withybrook, often during that time. Our friends' farm was down the switchback lane of that village.
The Heinkel crashed at Workshop Farm, Main Street, Withybrook Thumbs up Lionel Perkins, the dairy farmer there, witnessed the crash
Our Kaga
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
320 of 327  Tue 19th Sep 2017 8:57pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1030

This article is from the Midland Daily Telegraph 20th November 1940 from the British newspaper archive site.
Our Kaga
matchle55
Coventry
All posts by this member
321 of 327  Wed 20th Sep 2017 9:19am  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:169

I mentioned this in a previous post, the plane crashed at Hopsford Hall Farm, near Withybrook. Kaga, I would presume that the Half Moon is what is now called the Pheasant??????. This plane, a Junkers JU88 crashed on Sept 16th 1940. Edited by member, 20th Sep 2017 9:25 am
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
322 of 327  Wed 20th Sep 2017 11:14am  

Thanks to all the people that responded to this. matchles55 - I think the last time I went to the Half Moon was around 1949 and we used the aqueduct under the canal to cross the farm fields. The main entrance to the farm was from the Brinklow road, the entrance now has been changed to the switchback road in Withybrook so I've been told. The house my parents lived in at that time has now vanished under the golf course.
Our Kaga
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
323 of 327  Wed 20th Sep 2017 11:45am  

On 20th Sep 2017 9:19am, matchle55 said: Kaga, I would presume that the Half Moon is what is now called the Pheasant??????
Yes, the Half Moon became the Pheasant Thumbs up
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
324 of 327  Mon 25th Sep 2017 10:11am  

matchle55. The sequel of the story, my young 10 year old brother went back 5 years later to Hopsford Hall Farm and worked for them for some years
Our Kaga
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
325 of 327  Mon 25th Sep 2017 11:16am  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:844

I have fished the pool at Hopsford Hall many times, this is the first time I have heard anything about the plane coming down there..
Milly rules

Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
326 of 327  Sun 1st Oct 2017 4:53pm  

Around the time of the late 1920's the suburbs of Coventry were mostly farms and fields and heaths, in spring and summer fields clothed in beautiful wild flowers, hedges abundant with wild fruit and berries, birds of colour and song, the sky filled with song from many skylarks, the slough teeming with fish fed by two clean streams. The houses rang from laughter, crying, squabbles. Street life was the same, the village like one big family, ten-twenty kids playing football in the street ages from five to 16, we grew up as a friendly community. and the city for shopping, entertainment and pride. This was the world I was born in. But mid-thirties the streams began to get polluted from industrial waste, the fish and birds began to die and the world was talking of war. And my life turned upside down. Gone was the laughter. 1939, elder brothers and sisters, friends, were called away to war, and the houses died, the laughter and life were missing, so was the local football team, the team of our friends that we had grown up with, every one of them enlisted. Parents with a couple of teenage boys now had anxious faces, the smiles gone and everywhere was talk of 'Destruction'. The beautiful flowers were ploughed under, the birds fled from the gun-fire, lorries full of soldiers, tanks, guns across the fields, where people once picnicked. Teachers taught gas mask drill, first-aid etc, real lessons curtailed at a very early age. Bombing - relatives and friends died, the city I knew and loved, destroyed, hate took the place of laughter, my education was now learning how to kill and destroy, for more years than I had at a normal education. Buildings can be replaced, but memory remains the same forever.
Our Kaga
Greg
Coventry
All posts by this member
327 of 327  Sun 1st Oct 2017 5:55pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2011  Total posts:221

Thank you for painting such a word picture of the effect of the onset of war, Kaga. I was born in 1942 and my first memories are from 1945 but it was many years later that I found out that we had been bombed out and that the house I knew as home was, in fact, a house the family were temporarily renting. I found out little about what happened in the war, from my family.
Our Kaga

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 316 to 327 of 327 posts

Page 22 of 22

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .. 18 19 20 21 22
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry photo collections on the Internet
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry swimming (pools & swimmers)
View similar topics in the Coventry People category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 60ms)