Next pageLast page
451 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
376 of 451  Sat 12th May 2018 11:28am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2376

Rob, hi. For twenty years a family of the same surname as me lived four doors away from us, their name was never ever mentioned or never came into our conversation at any time so I thought they were no relation until . . . paulguy mentioned them on this forum. Turned out my grandad and his grandad were first cousins, both born in the 1870's. Something in the past had split them wide apart. So, many thanks to you - mystery solved. Regards, Kaga.
Our Kaga
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
377 of 451  Sat 12th May 2018 3:37pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1354

Well well, what a fascinating thing to learn. I'm so pleased that this forum and its amazing members have once again helped to solve a mystery, thank you for letting us know.
Our Kaga
argon
new milton
All posts by this member
378 of 451  Sun 13th May 2018 1:49am  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:122

Kaga, when I was in Southampton hospital at the beginning of the year, on the first night there the chap in the next bed asked if I was from Coventry (I still have the accent after 40 years away.) It seemed that he lived in Cov as a youngster, in Grange Rd., Longford and his name was Simpson. I think he was a motorbike fanatic at that time the way he spoke of his youth. Another relation?
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
379 of 451  Mon 14th May 2018 9:10am  

Argon, I would almost think so, but I left Coventry over fifty years ago so have lost touch with my relatives. but thanks for the thought.
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
380 of 451  Tue 29th May 2018 12:44pm  

Non-Coventry - something has just happened that took me back to this.
I felt a strong hand slap me on the shoulder, propelling me to the door of the aircraft and out I went, few seconds later I heard the plop of the chute and the jerk of the lift webs pull me back into a gentle descent. I made a quick glance around for a voice on a megaphone was screaming 'Pull down on your lift webs' and my heart sank, a kit-bag on a length of rope was hurtling toward my chute at a faster rate than I was travelling, if it connected it would wrap itself around my rigging lines and collapse my chute. I was mesmerised by this kit-bag, but now there were two megaphones, one screaming at me to release my kit-bag and one still screaming at the guy above me. I turned my head and saw the ground hurtling towards me. I had no time to release my kit-bag, I hit mother earth, two medics were either side of me in an instant another guy hit the release buckle on my chute so it would not drag me along the ground. They had been watching and following. A crowd a gathered. The medic told me not to move a muscle, gently both medics ran their hands over me asking if I hurt anywhere. A guy undid my kit-bag took it from my leg. No I replied. Can you sit up? I sat up. The medics glanced at each other shaking their heads. Gently they helped me to stand, all the time I was saying I was OK, everyone seemed to breathe a sigh of relief, a sergeant took my name and number, a guy about six-four - seventeen and half stone grabbed my hand and shook it, he was the guy whose kit-bag had threatened me. It was our first drop with kit-bags, the kit-bag was between 80-100lbs in weight, fastened on your right foot with two normal buckles, small straps and rope, strapped to your waist belt, a sleeve pocket on the side held the coiled rope that had a quick release tag that let you lower the kit-bag down to swing underneath you. If that failed then you had to undo the two buckles. It had been drilled into us that if you landed with the kit-bag still strapped to your leg the least you could expect was a broken leg, but more likely a broken or damaged back. From then on I made sure I never had a big-guy behind me in the aircraft.
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
381 of 451  Sat 9th Jun 2018 9:33am  

Ah! I think your all in the dark about this one. The Lamplight became the most famous song in the world during wartime. Underneath the Lamplight, by the Barrack gate, Darling I remember the way you used to wait There you whispered tenderly that you loved me and you'd always be my Lili of the Lamplight. My own Lili Marlene Orders came for sailing, somewhere over there, all confined to barracks, was more than I could bear I knew you would be waiting in the street, I heard your feet, but could not meet My Lili of the Lamplight, my own Lili Marlene Post copied from topic Gas street lighting in Coventry on 12th Jun 2018 6:08 pm
Our Kaga
Earlsdon Kid
Argyll & Bute, Scotland
All posts by this member
382 of 451  Sat 9th Jun 2018 6:42pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2017  Total posts:30

This reminded me of another version of this I first came across in the early 1970's folk scene. From memory "The Spinners" performed the version I heard on their TV show but I have not been able to track that version down. This recording by "The Ian Campbell Folk Group" is however a very similar rendition. D-Day Dodgers
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
383 of 451  Tue 12th Jun 2018 9:18am  

At the time when cars had not become numerous and TV was not born, kids played under lampposts, friendships were made, laughter and crying, many games, and when the younger children went home to bed then teenagers took over and stole their first kisses, their first flirtations and courtships, their first real trusts. Throughout Europe the street lighting had the same effect, it was a major part of growing up. So when the German soldier wrote this song in WW1 it related to every soldier in Europe, during long stressful marches and such, to sing this song eased the tension, formed a bond. As soldiers marched through villages singing then housewives joined in, workers in the fields also joined in - human relations affected all, every European nation used their own versions. When you got about a hundred soldiers singing this song it was sensational and emotional and bonding together. Sorry Earlsdon Kid, but that D-Day Dodgers had no heart in it, no background, no emotion in it for me, and partly the wrong background. Vera Lynn and Marlene Dietrich had their own versions.
Our Kaga
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
384 of 451  Tue 12th Jun 2018 1:04pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3158

Kaga, hope you are not forgetting 'Kiss chase' amongst your list of pre TV days. Thats what all the squealing was about. We got to know all the kids in the street in those days. Rat tat ginger was one of our favourites. Bet the neighbours were glad to see us all go in when it was dusk, but we did always congregate under the lamp posts. I don't think we appreciated those good times at the time. Big grin Edited by member, 12th Jun 2018 1:18 pm
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
385 of 451  Tue 12th Jun 2018 2:53pm  

Dreamtime, how could I? I invented it, or thought I did, but perhaps it was you? But the song was more of a love song, nothing to do with action, a guy remembering his sweetheart, wondering if she would still be there when it was all over, and missing her badly. In Coventry we had the blitz, and one soldier I knew lost his sweetheart, and I lost mine to someone else - the letters stopped and she ceased visiting my parents, so the song became more to me than just a song.
Our Kaga
Dreamtime
386 of 451  Tue 12th Jun 2018 3:12pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Earlsdon Kid
Argyll & Bute, Scotland
All posts by this member
387 of 451  Tue 12th Jun 2018 5:52pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2017  Total posts:30

I agree Kaga. I provided the "D-Day Dodgers" link for the lyrics rather than the rendition. My memories of "The Spinners" version (50 years ago) recall a much greater depth of feeling in the rendition and ends with a few bars of "The Last Post" which also gave their rendition a more significant ending. You did get me thinking about the origins of the song when you mentioned WW1, and it seems it was written as a poem in 1915 and then published as a song in 1937 or 1938. Here is another link which gives more insight into the origins: Lili Marleen
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
388 of 451  Wed 13th Jun 2018 8:38am  

Earlsdon Kid, thank you, I had no idea they put up a statue, but rightly so, for it influenced millions.
Our Kaga
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
389 of 451  Mon 18th Jun 2018 8:44am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3158

Hope you enjoyed you afternoon nap Kaga. I was wondering was Mademoiselle from Armentieres amongst your repertoire. I would be most surprised if it wasn't. Thumbs up A good old barrack song that one. Cheers
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
390 of 451  Mon 18th Jun 2018 9:32am  

Dreamtime. Yes one of the best, inky-dinky parlez-vous. Do you remember the old yo-yo's and the game called 'Pinch-me'?
Our Kaga

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 376 to 390 of 451 posts

Page 26 of 31

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

New Cathedral of St Michael
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry bakers / bakeries