No actionNo action
600 posts:
Order:    

Robthu
Coventry
All posts by this member
586 of 600  Sun 7th Jul 2019 1:37pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2012  Total posts:101

Happy Birthday, Kaga. Please keep the tales coming. Derek.
Our Kaga
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
587 of 600  Sun 7th Jul 2019 2:07pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3328

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, happy memories and many more to come Kaga. Hope your wife is feeling 100 percent better now. Wave
Our Kaga
Blueleader
Coventry
All posts by this member
588 of 600  Sun 7th Jul 2019 3:30pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:45

Happy Birthday Kaga, have a lovely day!
Ric Osborne

Our Kaga
mcsporran
Coventry & Cebu
All posts by this member
589 of 600  Mon 8th Jul 2019 3:35am  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:419

Here's 92 candles Many many happy returns.
Our Kaga
Gilly
Melbourne Australia
All posts by this member
590 of 600  Mon 8th Jul 2019 4:00am  
Member: Joined Jun 2011  Total posts:176

Happy Happy Birthday to you Kaga. LesM and Gilly. x Wave
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
591 of 600  Mon 8th Jul 2019 9:38am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2922

Thank you everyone for your kind wishes. We are both comfortable at the moment considering our age - one minute ok, next minute feel down. The usual stuff for pensioners, wake up feeling tired, haven't the strength to die, losing my hearing, losing my sight, getting grumpy, told to stop taking sugar in my tea. Apart from that, I'm still me - whatever that means.
Our Kaga
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
592 of 600  Mon 8th Jul 2019 6:51pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1472

Happy Birthday Kaga. 🎂🎂🎂 You will need a bit bigger cake than these to get all your candles on!
Our Kaga
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
593 of 600  Wed 10th Jul 2019 10:54am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1462

Belated birthday wishes. Wave Did the candles set off the smoke detectors?
Our Kaga
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
594 of 600  Wed 10th Jul 2019 11:14am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2139

More belated wishes Kaga! Cheers
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
595 of 600  Wed 10th Jul 2019 1:44pm  

Out on the silk-smoothed water, white yachts skimming, their sails dipping, leaning towards the surface then tacking gracefully as swans. I sat talking to my friend, the life-saver near Brighton's Palace Pier, the beach filling up with families. A moment later and a dozen or so school girls came skittering down the beach, only two nuns in flowing robes in attendance. We glanced at one another and rose, lugged the rowboat down to the sea, we knew the danger. The rolling ebb-tide rhythm of the sea dislodged pebbles from under your feet. A few minutes later and it happened as we expected, their feet swept away - they were floundering, and in grave danger. We shoved the boat into the water, the two nuns running up and down the beach like a couple of old hens. We swam to the nearest ones, hauled them to the boat, got them to hang on to the side of the boat as we swam back and forth. People began to wade in to help. Derek and I, spluttering, shook hands, but there was a yell - we had missed one, well out from the beach. We swam out. This was no girl, this was a heavily built man and he was lashing out in desperation. After some minutes we held him and turned to shore - the police and ambulances had arrived. Two policemen rowed the boat towards us, we got him aboard. The beach and pier were packed with people applauding. Derek and I were spluttering and spitting salt water. The beach master had arrived and Derek again asked for more help on crowded days. We learnt later that the guy had jumped off the pier to help, but could not swim. I wandered off to the nearest pub, had a strong drink to take away the salt, and gather my thoughts. There had been a couple of times I thought I had been too late, but luckily they all recovered. At some point I left the beachside and went to the races. It was a day when I thought my headstone could have been like John Keats - Here lies one whose name is writ in water.
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
596 of 600  Sat 13th Jul 2019 11:50am  

Roll eyes But it wasn't to end there. After a meal, a bus pulls up and I catch it to the races. Brighton racecourse is a lot like the Epsom course, a mile and half away - they climb gently to the top of the hill, then a long sweeping descent of half a mile before a gentle rise the last two furlongs. The second race is a six furlongs sprint. They shoot from the gate, a mad dash downhill to the bend, sweep round the bend, then a steady climb for the last two furlongs. But no, they hit the bend and the outside horse loses balance and crashes into the rest and all hell breaks loose - legs and bodies, jockeys and silks, in one great sprawling heap. The ambulance races down the course, horses regaining their feet meeting it. Several jockeys and horses are injured, owners, trainers and stable lads rush to the scene. Chaos. Months later and we're nearing Christmas. For a single guy this is a lonely time. Then I remember something a nurse told me in the summer. I pack a bag, catch a train to Brighton, book for a week in a guest-house. Next morning, I walk a mile to the Childrens Hospital, and ask if I can be of assistance to decorate the kids ward. You notice their disabilities, their ailments - I brace myself. So now I'm helping kids make paper chains, lifting them up to place bells and trinkets on the huge tree some firm has donated. On the ward beside me, a small boy reaches for a toy - his eyes widen, his lips purse. He waves things to see if they make a sound, grinning. A nurse whispers to me that he has less than a year to live. I ask questions, then lift him high into the air and he squeals with delight. Here, every time you turn around, something pours into your heart like a river. I spent two days of my life with those kids, and the rest of my life trying to understand why we live the life we live.
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
597 of 600  Sun 14th Jul 2019 1:26pm  

By the end of 1948, all enlisted men had been demobbed, and they all seemed to get swallowed up in marriage and work, leaving National Service and regulars in the forces. The old comrades associations soon dried up, and it seemed to me there were few single men between 20/30 years of age throughout Europe. Women seemed to be the dominant factor. I can't ever remembering one working class male Englishman on my travels. London seemed to be full of single girls from other cities, and in every street you could find small apartments for let - they needed work on them, but so did every building in Europe. £5 a week wages in Coventry could buy you a three months rail ticket throughout the Italian rail network, get on or off as much as you wished, a few pence in an Italian hostel or French pension - no charges for sightseeing, long before tourism, and the greed of today. It was a time that having a pilgrim's certificate went down big in Italy. It was also the time that I could tell the time of day by the flowers in a garden.
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
598 of 600  Mon 15th Jul 2019 8:59am  

Time trundles along, and a few days ago I was talking to a policeman, and suddenly I remember a story of wartime. The country was short of food, so the Lordships decided someone should dig up part of Hyde Park to grow food. They also gave a corner to the 'Met' Police to keep pigs, so the 'Met' built a pig-sty like no other. No one knows if they were allotted materials or whether they were 'nicked' or if it was built officially, or by leaned on tradesmen - certainly shopkeepers were squeezed to supply rotten veg, etc. A rookie policeman saw the sergeant struggling with sacks, onto his bike, so offered to help him to the pig-sty. At the massive wall of the building were several sacks left by people. The sergeant produced a great bundle of keys, opened the garage-like door, they entered and then he locked it again. There was an inner wall - again he unlocked it into another yard, then re-locked it. The pigs were behind iron bars cemented into a concrete block - again, a small locked door. The young copper described it as Fort Knox. I have no idea of the truth of part of this story, but certainly the 'Met' did have a pig-sty in Hyde Park.
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
599 of 600  Fri 19th Jul 2019 11:46am  

On 19th Jul 2019 10:29am, Helen F said (on another thread): Lidar is amazing. Because it adds up data about the same spot from different angles it can see through foliage to the ground surface. In South America for instance it is uncovering massive cities underneath the jungle. Only a fraction has been scanned but one town was bigger than old Coventry and had an even longer wall. Most of that is carried out from the air but there is a ground based version that can create colour replicas of streets, interiors and tunnels. There has been a series of spectacular programmes about various cities on the BBC. Ancient cities Italy's cities (not currently available) I know that Spon Street and St John's has been scanned.
Helen F. That is amazing, I've watched most of those programmes, wondered how they did it. But Italian cities are just unbelievable, they used to move their statues around, every new Emperor. I believe Rome has 13 obelisks - now some of these obelisks were 170 tons, image that on a row-boat, a granite needle laid from bow to stern, and rowed from one country to another, then years later toppled and moved to a different site. Huge stone chariots on the roof of a monument, 300 feet above you. Graffiti inside a spiral staircase, at least 2,000 years old, an ancient cemetery, here is a tomb in the shape of a pyramid from the 1st century. The Vatican, St Peters and its vast piazza, a ringway of saints standing like sentries round its circumference, a giant obelisk in its centre - a girl next to me whispers something rude in my ear (sorry! how did that creep in?) In a piazza, Bernini's quartet of wet, muscled river gods, their fingers thicker than my wrists (again she whispers). Fountains spray and gurgle, two or three domes, and the sunlight crashes across a mass of white marble. I whisper something to her - she laughs, says "Shall we go home?" and the barriers melt, and Rome sinks into a shadow.
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
600 of 600  Sat 20th Jul 2019 1:56pm  

She rushed into my room, we stood rooted to the spot, the dreaded drone of a doodlebug in our ears, but the engine stayed running and passed over head out of danger and the woman threw her arms around my neck, she was in a nightgown, me in underpants, she about 28 me 17.- a long story. When I was a kid my parents often talked of relations in London, never met them or even a photo, then the war came, my Sister stationed in London, met them, introduced me when I was stationed there. In a normal life, the time your a teenager(13) you think of further education, the opposite sex,work your future, from a comfortable chair, but not kids of my age we thought how many more hours in this damned shelter, how long before I fire a gun in anger, how can I take a girl home in another district in this confounded blackout. It was a different life to any other in history. Without question I would have had a completely different life had it not been for the war.Hence some of my stories. Hope they don't offend.
Our Kaga

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 586 to 600 of 600 posts

Page 40 of 40

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 36 37 38 39 40
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Moon Landings - conspiracy or not?
|

Next (newer) topic

You are at the most recent topic