No actionNo action
632 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
631 of 632  Tue 29th Oct 2019 5:59pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3120

The picture above is where I stayed for four nights in Sept 1954 as I posted on #511 and #514 (to keep it brief). The whole place was beautiful and as though time had stood still. - from the balcony the sea was like a jewelled pearl, the forest dense and mysterious. After eats, Sophia and I dressed in shorts, shirts and boots, and with sticks and backpacks crossed the road to the path. A few minutes later we changed paths. After nearly twenty minutes, Sophia stepped from the path into the undergrowth, swishing her stick (for snakes) - we came to a beautiful clearing near a mountain stream. She laid down a blanket, her shirt wide open, and said "Centuries ago this place belonged to the Greek Empire, with its myths and Gods, and this is their mountain - and we were on the path of the God, right now I feel like Aphrodite”. We stayed for about five hours, drinking wine, eating nuts, fruit, discussing our lives etc. We spent another hour on the path before returning to the hostel, where they were preparing for a party and dance - lights hanging from trees, tables loaded with food and fruit, locals with fiddles and accordions, about twenty people including a priest. I was dancing with Sophia (yes on that road) when I noticed the scooter. I stopped and walked over. It was an old airborne fold-up scooter. The owner, looking worried, walked over and spoke in excited Italian. Sophia explained to him why I was so interested and suddenly I'm a hero. But the priest and the hostel owner grabbed me, poured me wine. The priest asked me if I had been to Jerusalem - yes! More wine, I got drunk. I woke in a different, more luxurious room. Later Sophia and the hostel owner took me to another part of the building, unlocked a door - part of a very old church (take pages to explain) but pride of place was an old reed basket with a small fragment of wood nestled inside. This is what the priest had wanted me to see, a piece of the cross. The cross had been split into 19 pieces, four in Jerusalem, this one - the rest? The owner wanted me to stay, offered me two more nights free.
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
632 of 632  Sat 2nd Nov 2019 11:15am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3120

Dreamtime Hear you’re having to wrap up warm, the weather’s changed, hope no storm But you and I in a blink of an eye, we can sit and see at the same time The Navi we both knew well, a far away scene, a long ago dream I parked my pony and trap outside your front door On the left the canal, the street on the right Of course you remember, the scene comes to light We have travelled much through the years, you and I We never met, but the dreams came true, from those years long ago
Our Kaga

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 631 to 632 of 632 posts

Page 43 of 43

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 ... 39 40 41 42 43
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Foxford Schools
|

Next (newer) topic

Neil Porter