No actionNo action
47 posts:
Order:    

Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
46 of 47  Fri 16th Jun 2017 5:13pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1044

On 15th Jun 2017 10:51pm, Golden Tonsils said: When I completed the training I took a job with E600 "Test Equipment Engineers", the Manager was DVE Lowe (Dennis). There was HB Baker (Howard), DJ Gee (Dave), FB Mundean (Barry), ME Shearer (Mike), RE Hodge (Bob), RD Keill (Dick), JA Cockrill (John), PW Gray (Peter), JA Moran (John), Aubrey Bicknell, RE Irwin (Ron), Peter Brown, CJ Gladman (Chris), WE Torrance (Bill), HS Dhillon (Matt).
Although I worked at GEC, Spon Street in the 1980s, then Helen Street in the 90s, a few of these names are familiar. Barry Mundean became our Test Manager at Helen St, and earned the nickname of "HIG" from his regular question "how's it going?'. Peter Brown, if it's the same person, became overall chief of the Transmission group, and oversaw the thousands of redundancies in the early 90s - although with hindsight it was probably necessary to keep GPT alive at that stage. I briefly came across others too, although I didn't actually know them to talk to, like Mike Shearer & Bill Torrance, and I think one of my apprentice placements in the early 80s was with Ron Irwin - not exactly one of my favourites if I've remembered correctly! I didn't see Cliff Titterall (not sure of the spelling) mentioned, but I know he had a connection with the Test Equipment department.
GEC Copsewood (Telephone Works, Stoke)
krg1965
Oxfordshire
All posts by this member
47 of 47  Mon 6th Nov 2017 11:41am  
Member: Joined Nov 2017  Total posts:2

My first post here, so apologies if I'm breaking any etiquette rules (then again, I am originally from Leicester, so I guess it's to be expected :-) ) Cliff Titterall was indeed connected to Test Equipment, as when I was a fresh-faced Technician Engineer in 1984, he was the team leader for the Test Equipment team for the Ghz Radio and Multiplexer department, up on the 5th floor of Spon Street. It was still very 'traditional' up there - we sat in rows of benches, facing Cliff at the front of the workshop. As a 19-year-old, this was my first placement doing 'real' work and I was incredibly nervous. As it was, everyone was really friendly and made a lot of allowances - even the grumpy chap who ran the stores and wanted to know chapter and verse of why I wanted (e.g.) a twist drill bit. I was assigned to work for Brian Wathen, who was a lovely bloke and helped along a lot. I was amazed that we were allowed to smoke in the workshop and so brought my own ashtray in - felt very 'grown up'! Keeping with the traditional workshop feel, we had a lady come down from the canteen every day with a tea urn and some bacon batches kept warm on top of the urn. As the training school was at Spon Street (Ken Marshall and Dave Jackson in charge of us Tech. Engs), I have fond memories of the place.
Karl Greenow - Coventry resident & GEC employee 1983-1994

GEC Copsewood (Telephone Works, Stoke)

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 46 to 47 of 47 posts

Page 4 of 4

1 2 3 4
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Owen Owen
|

Next (newer) topic

Courtaulds (and its chimneys!)
View similar topics in the Industry, Business and Work category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 63ms)