No actionNo action
36 posts:
Order:    

BillR
Nuneaton
All posts by this member
31 of 36  Sun 10th May 2015 11:57pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2014  Total posts:8

On 3rd Mar 2015 5:14am, Gilly said: I remember two dinner ladies very well....one a round short lady and the other a tall thin lady. I remember exactly what they wore and looked like but unfortunately I cannot remember their names. I used to like to hold the round ladies hand as she was always so cosy warm.
I don't know if it's the same lady and really don't know how or why I remember this. I was at AG between 1966-70 and recall a Dinner lady who I'm sure was Mrs Kendal. She had a Yorkshire accent..." Looooook I'll put your name In the booooook" and from memory was "round and short" As others said, teachers I recall Mr Bourne and Miss Turner who WAS scary. Then, Miss Sephton, Mr Risdon with a big beard, Mr Teague and Mr Lee who " got together" with Miss Porteus and they eventually married. There was also a slim gent with Buddy Holly glasses who alway played the piano at assembly who's name escapes me. Innocent times Smile
Schools and Education - Alderman's Green Primary School
Gilly
Melbourne Australia
All posts by this member
32 of 36  Mon 11th May 2015 12:03am  
Member: Joined Jun 2011  Total posts:158

Hi Greg, Nice to see the photo of Alderman's Green School. I remember (1950's) walking to school from Milverton Rd in Wood End. We made steppingstones to cross the river/brook (no little bridge there then). We followed the river along a tarmac path to the beginning of the Slough, then turned left up to the school where we turned right into the infants part of the school. After entering the infants playground if you continued walking straight ahead you entered the junior school. I think the photo is showing the main hall of the junior school. Am I correct? The junior school in my time, as I remember, faced Alderman's Green Rd. I think the caretakers house was near where you took the photo. Lovely to see. Thank you Gilly. Wave
Greg
Coventry
All posts by this member
33 of 36  Mon 11th May 2015 9:14pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2011  Total posts:267

Basically, they `moved` the school north and turned the entrance round so that it faces the access road to the Slough/canal basin opposite to the existing Slough car park park. Hope that makes sense.
blackberry-rum
Shropshire, UK
All posts by this member
34 of 36  Mon 3rd Jul 2017 10:10pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:11

On 1st May 2015 8:48pm, Greg said: Kaga, at the risk of going even further off topic, I have taken some picture of old cottages on the Aldermans Green Road. I have put two of them together to see if you can remember anything about them. There are three cottages in all and they are all derelict. I would love to know their history before they are bulldozed.
(only quoting message because it's 2 years later!) I am sure those cottages were right opposite the house we owned in Alderman's Green Road, right next to Reading Close (number 213). When I lived there, and my parents continued living there for 20 years after I left, there was a French lady living in the house/cottage, either her name or her daughter's was Ghislaine, she was married to a British chap. One year she bought a turkey to fatten up for Christmas but grew fond of it and it lived in their garden for some years.
LesMac
Coventry
All posts by this member
35 of 36  Tue 4th Jul 2017 9:45am  
Member: Joined Dec 2011  Total posts:291

Think they belonged to May Mitton back in pre war days. If N Conquest sees your post he will probably have more info'
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
36 of 36  Tue 4th Jul 2017 9:57am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2368

Blackberry-rum, hi, I can only go back to pre-1940 time when my brothers school chum Bert Born went to live in the cottage end on to the road. Bert lived in Parrotts grove in the thirties he had a sister Blanche and we all attended Aldermans Green little school just inside Lentons Lane. Bert was same age as my brother, Blanche same age as my sister. Who had those cottages before I have no idea. Right opposite the butchers stood a row of small cottages end on to the road, next to them were a couple of bungalows lived the Pearsons who I believe now own the haulage business in A.G. then some waste ground and then the church opposite the slough road. Behind the church was the scout hut, where I was a cub. small row of houses then Turrels on the corner of Jackers road. (Glad to answer any questions about the area)

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 31 to 36 of 36 posts

Page 3 of 3

1 2 3
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Wyken Croft School
|

Next (newer) topic

Foxford Schools