No actionNo action
26 posts:
Order:    

pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
16 of 26  Tue 19th Jul 2016 3:11pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1038

For various reasons it shouldn't really be said to be sited in Cannon Park but Canley. The border betweed Canley and Westwood is Shultern Lane itself. The original continuation of Kirby Corner Road was what is now Moat House Lane. To the west of that was Fletchamstead. Cannon Park is merely a modern name for the area which for centuries had belonged to Tocil and prior to that Cryfield. Does anyone know why Charter Avenue and Mitchell Avenue were made as dual carriageways?

Question

Town Planning and Development - Cannon Park, Canley
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
17 of 26  Thu 21st Jul 2016 12:25pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:429

On 17th Jul 2016 8:59pm, pixrobin said: This is the state of progress on the new Aldi store at Cannon Park. Picture taken a couple of hours ago.
Yeah, we really need yet another supermarket, don't we? Roll eyes
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
18 of 26  Thu 21st Jul 2016 12:28pm  

On 19th Jul 2016 3:11pm, pixrobin said: For various reasons it shouldn't really be said to be sited in Cannon Park but Canley. The border betweed Canley and Westwood is Shultern Lane itself. The original continuation of Kirby Corner Road was what is now Moat House Lane. To the west of that was Fletchamstead. Cannon Park is merely a modern name for the area which for centuries had belonged to Tocil and prior to that Cryfield.
That might explain why, when Canley Post Office was moved from Canley to Cannon Park, it still kept the name Canley Post Office. Confused a lot of us, it did.
dpmorgan
Epsom
All posts by this member
19 of 26  Fri 22nd Jul 2016 7:58pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2016  Total posts:10

I lived in Canley for a long time, Charter Avenue just past Marler Road. It was changing even then, New Tesco and houses at Cannon Park and of course the university stretching ever further behind the woodland opposite where I lived. In the late 60s I workend in the Dolphin pun for 'Norman and Norma'. Later when I returned to Coventry, after leaving Army, I had a house on Sir Henry Parkes Road opposite the Radiator and near to Canley Halt. My last visit some years ago I got lost going up Broad Lane past Hearsall Common and ended up in a supermarket carpark. I didn't recognise anything.
dpmorgan@cix.co.uk

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
20 of 26  Fri 22nd Jul 2016 8:03pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4929

Great memories, "dp" - welcome to the forum, and keep them coming Wave
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
21 of 26  Sat 23rd Jul 2016 2:53pm  

It's funny how boundaries and area names change over time. E.g. one rarely hears of Copsewood theses days. It's exacerbated by the estate agents' trick of stretching a boundary to make a building sound upmarket of its real area, e.g. I once had a job to find a place described as Kensington. Looking at the map showed that Kensington had grown vastly to swallow up Shepherds Bush, which was the real address! I used to live in Cannon Park estate, which is well past the shops. It's still there. The other side of Shultern Lane and Cannon Hill Road is Cannon Hill, which was there for many decades before Cannon Park had been thought up. I asked an old resident and she confirmed Cannon Hill. My parents had a shop in Cannon Hill Road for 30 years, and the expression Cannon Park did not exist. An update to my earlier post about the name of the post office at Cannon Park. I went there this morning and looked at the sign/s, which have been changed at some stage. The "Canley" has gone, and has not been replaced with any area name.
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
22 of 26  Sat 23rd Jul 2016 2:56pm  

On 22nd Jul 2016 7:58pm, dpmorgan said: I lived in Canley for a long time, Charter Avenue just past Marler Road. It was changing even then, New Tesco and houses at Cannon Park and of course the university stretching ever further behind the woodland opposite where I lived. In the late 60s I workend in the Dolphin pun for 'Norman and Norma'. Later when I returned to Coventry, after leaving Army, I had a house on Sir Henry Parkes Road opposite the Radiator and near to Canley Halt. My last visit some years ago I got lost going up Broad Lane past Hearsall Common and ended up in a supermarket carpark. I didn't recognise anything.
I lived in Canley Road for many years. I always thought it odd that Canley Halt was miles from Canley. Tile Hill station is nearer a lot of Canley. They've now scrapped the "Halt" bit. I used it only yesterday to get a train to Bletchley.
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
23 of 26  Sat 23rd Jul 2016 2:59pm  

PS on the deeds to my parents' house, Canley Road was Canley Lane. There were only half a dozen or so houses. The A45 was not there, nor was the Canley/Cannon Hill Estate. It was all farm land. That was in the 20s or 30s.
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
24 of 26  Sat 23rd Jul 2016 8:25pm  

Hi Slim, From what I see on the 1926 maps Canley Lane stretched from Hearsall Common past Ivy Farm Lane and then down to Kenilworth Road. It was then all in Westwood Parish. In 1926 Coventry Corporation bought sunstantial lands (2,300 acres) from Lord Leigh and in 1928 extended its boundaries to include Canley and Fletchamstead (now partly Canley and partly Tile Hill). However in the 1938 map revision the portion of Canley Lane from Hearsall Common to the bypass remained as such, but beyonf the bypass it became Canley Road and from the sharp turn to the east after Canley and Ivy Farms it became Cannon Hill Road. Now of course Canley Road stretches from the Common to the bypass, and from the bypass to Kenilworth Road is now all Cannon Hill Road.
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
25 of 26  Sun 24th Jul 2016 7:18am  

On a completely different forum there are complaints about Burton Green now not including the original village in Hob Lane.
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
26 of 26  Tue 13th Sep 2016 6:30pm  

Staff are in stocking the shelves ready for Thursday's grand opening. I won't go for a couple of weeks as it will be a madhouse.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 26 of 26 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Wheelwright Lane cottage
|

Next (newer) topic

Pails Bakery