No actionNo action
57 posts:
Order:    

TEKMELF
HAWKESBURY
All posts by this member
46 of 57  Thu 27th Apr 2017 8:08pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:81

On 25th Apr 2017 10:46am, seeley-jones said: I remember DICK SHEPHERD CYCLES was in Clay Lane, Stoke, for many years - c1956-1968? - his shop was right opposite Goring Road.
I can remember the shop. It was run in later years by a tall fellow that lived in Woodway Lane, close to the Jolly Colliers. He sold it on to John Cresswell who then opened a shop opposite the Old Clarence, Earlsdon Ave. The last time I saw John he was retired and living in a mobile home at Long Itchington. My first tricycle was a child's bike with big blow up tyres, the envy of all the kids. It was from Shepherds in Bishop St. For my 15th birthday my aunt bought me a Hercules Kestrel in polychromatic gold with Reynolds 531 tubing, from Brandish, Whitefriars St, for the princely sum of £14 5s.
Coventry Bicycle Shops
coundon12
Canada
All posts by this member
47 of 57  Thu 27th Apr 2017 8:31pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2012  Total posts:15

I remember Barnetts in Cedars Ave. I lived at 34 Cedars Ave.
Coventry Bicycle Shops
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
48 of 57  Fri 28th Apr 2017 2:17pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1676

LesMac, hi. Yes I know my father had one of those carbide lamps early on, but by the time I needed a lamp it was Ever-Ready Batteries, and then to the dynamo. But one thing leads to another for me. I'm going to switch to 'Our Kaga'.
Coventry Bicycle Shops
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
49 of 57  Sat 29th Apr 2017 3:54pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:309

On 25th Apr 2017 8:48pm, Harrier said:
On 24th Feb 2015 3:48pm, Wearethemods said: There was also a cycle shop on the Butts just round the corner from Gordon Street next door to Haydn's the newsagent. I bought my only two bikes from them (up until school leaving age) but can't remember the name. They had a rack of them on the pavement outside. I part exchanged my first one for the second (racer)! I 'google street mapped' it earlier today and both premises seem to be a 'Nisa' store now. Sad
There was the 'Albany Cycle Stores' in Broomfield Road. Is this the shop referred to? I have a postcard / photo of the shop with the proprietor stood in the doorway.
Hi Harrier. No, the cycle shop I referred to was definitely near the corner of Gordon Street and the Butts. St Thomas's Church was on the other corner at the time.
Coventry Bicycle Shops
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
50 of 57  Sat 29th Apr 2017 4:44pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2012  Total posts:360

Could the cycle shop have been Kennedy's?
Coventry Bicycle Shops
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
51 of 57  Sat 29th Apr 2017 4:44pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:991

I remember that same shop Wearethemods. In early 1955 my mum bought my first bicycle from there - a sit up and beg Raleigh, very similar to the Rudge my grandfather used.
Coventry Bicycle Shops
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
52 of 57  Mon 1st May 2017 3:22pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:250

Anyone remember Forey's bike shop on Foleshill Road, not far from the General Wolf? When first married I sold my Lambretta scooter and we both had new Raleigh bikes from there just before leaving Coventry to live (for five years) in East Yorkshire.
Coventry Bicycle Shops
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
53 of 57  Mon 1st May 2017 4:06pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4378

If you enter "Forey" in the search box (top left hand corner) and press 'Go' you will find several references to the shop in the 'Coventry Ironmongers' thread Thumbs up
Coventry Bicycle Shops
LesMac
Coventry
All posts by this member
54 of 57  Mon 1st May 2017 8:29pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2011  Total posts:288

Prof... Could you be thinking of Swifts cycle shop?
Coventry Bicycle Shops
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
55 of 57  Tue 2nd May 2017 12:48am  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:875

On 1st May 2017 3:22pm, Prof said: Anyone remember Forey's bike shop on Foleshill Road, not far from the General Wolf? When first married I sold my Lambretta scooter and we both had new Raleigh bikes from there just before leaving Coventry to live (for five years) in East Yorkshire.
On 1st May 2017 8.29pm, LesMac said: Prof... Could you be thinking of Swifts cycle shop?
I think LesMac may be right. Swifts was on the opposite side to the Wolfe. I had all my childhood bikes from there, as my father had been a customer of theirs for years. Forey's was on the corner of Park Street, opposite corner to Lloyds Bank. When I worked at Weights & Measures in Livingstone Road we had an account there and we were regulars. I don't recall them selling cycles. Forey's was a typical old-fashioned ironmongers with that distinctive smell of paraffin, oil and wood. It was the place we used to send new recruits for spurious items, such as a left handed screwdriver, elbow grease, a glass spanner, or (a particular favourite) a long weight. The staff were always happy to play along! Lol
Coventry Bicycle Shops
Andydtow
Kenilworth
All posts by this member
56 of 57  Mon 22nd May 2017 9:29pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2017  Total posts:3

The shop in the Butts by Gordon St was Kirby cycles. I bought my first Raleigh bike in 1956 from the Midland Cycle Co in Ford St at the junction with Priory St. Also Bob Edmonds Cycles was in Primrose Hill St opposite where the night club is now. Ted Airey ran this shop in the 60s. He also had a Cotton motor cycle. What was the name of the cycle shop on Stoney Stanton Rd. just past Broad St and next to what was Elbe motor cycles? Anyone remember Harry Tennant's motor cycle shop in Jesson St?
Coventry Bicycle Shops
Mr Blue Sky
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
All posts by this member
57 of 57  Mon 22nd May 2017 11:28pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2012  Total posts:17

The name of the cycle shop on the corner of Paradise Street and Stoney Stanton Road was Lole's. I spent hours looking at all the cycles in his shop on my way to school. Like all school kids you were very lucky if you had a new bike in the 1940s or 50s. My grandfather had a shed full of cycle frames and wheels etc so I could build my own secondhand one with his help.
Coventry Bicycle Shops

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 46 to 57 of 57 posts

Page 4 of 4

1 2 3 4
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Shops of yore
|

Next (newer) topic

Forum Features & Updates
View similar topics in the Sport, Music and Leisure category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 59ms)