No actionNo action
208 posts:
Order:    

Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
196 of 208  Wed 26th Oct 2016 8:56pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1078

And more good news.... Since Google switched off hosting for Google-Drive the Library Pictures have not been viewable, as some of you will have noticed. However, I've now finally found an alternative free server that will do the job.... so we have our Coventry Library Collection back again. Simply use the blue button up there on the left to access them as normal. Thumbs up
Coventry photo collections on the Internet
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
197 of 208  Wed 26th Oct 2016 9:46pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4604

Thank you, sir! Cheers
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
198 of 208  Wed 26th Oct 2016 10:01pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:797

Thumbs up I've got a copy of all of them but your search function is just so darn good.
coventry49
Devon
All posts by this member
199 of 208  Thu 27th Oct 2016 4:47pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2015  Total posts:142

Thanks Rob. I wondered why sometimes my 'Library Pictures' button didn't respond. I thought I must be doing something wrong! I love looking at the pictures and also your ones.
mcsporran
Coventry & Cebu
All posts by this member
200 of 208  Mon 28th Nov 2016 10:56pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:338

I don't think this has been posted before, not quite a photo collection, but a series of J W Hawthorne oil paintings of Coventry scenes on an auction site.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
201 of 208  Tue 6th Dec 2016 12:00pm  

Can't see (but I may be wrong Oh my ) any previous reference to FreeFoto.com Thumbs up
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
202 of 208  Sat 30th Sep 2017 2:05am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1575

Hi Rob Wave Just going back to the Pictures of Coventry images - I think they are linked in to your Library images button on the left - Who owns those / that site do you know? Is it the Herbert? Wondered why they are all virtually the same size online and if viewable in a larger format? Also any idea whey they all came from?
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
203 of 208  Sat 30th Sep 2017 4:19pm  

Sadly the Pictures of Coventry are no longer available on the net. The Herbert never created a new web site once the contract ran out. Rob's pics are unavailable to non members so that there's no problem with them getting widely distributed. The Herbert images are still available in the History Centre. Wink
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
204 of 208  Sun 1st Oct 2017 2:29am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1575

Thanks Helen - so did they (the images) originally belong to The Herbert?
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
205 of 208  Sun 1st Oct 2017 10:38am  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1078

Yes, thank you, too, for the explanation Helen. Neil, just a bit more from behind the scenes, so to speak.... After the Pictures of Coventry site was taken offline, I was contacted anonymously by someone who said he'd already made a copy of every single library image from that site, and he offered to make them available to me - I couldn't say no, could I?! At first I felt guilty about it, but on reflection I realised that those pictures do not belong to The Herbert - they belong to the people of Coventry, who, after all, were the ones who took or supplied the photos & images originally - The Herbert were simply the keepers of them and were failing in their duty to share them with the public. So, in the absence of our council making them publicly available, I copied them up to my own HC server and built a simple "search & browse" site to host them, although I've cautiously made them only viewable to logged in members. And.... I never did find out who had saved the images, but I think we all owe him many thanks. Thumbs up
Osmiroid
UK
All posts by this member
206 of 208  Sun 1st Oct 2017 11:34am  
Member: Joined Aug 2013  Total posts:288

I think historic pictures should exist in as many places as possible around the web to ensure they continue to exist. Websites always seem to end up closing down or being cyber attacked. In this high tech world the safest way for pictures is still backed up with paper copies!
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
207 of 208  Sun 1st Oct 2017 12:47pm  

Quite agree, Osmiroid - you too, Rob (well done!) Cheers Unfortunately, this forum, like others, suffers from the disappearance of images (and other links) which have been posted by members - without the original posting, any subsequent conversations or discussions become something of a nonsense We have on occasions been able to retrieve lost images from their new addresses, but it's a time consuming job, so, unfortunately, in some cases, it has been felt necessary to remove the posts for the sake of continuity within the relevant thread Some photosharing sites have closed, which doesn't help - other links, for example to Mirrorpix, may no longer work but the correct one can be found by making a search using part of the original address It would be appreciated if any member who has posted a link to an image, and considers that the link may no longer be "live", could seek to find an up-to-date address so that the link can be amended Thumbs up
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
208 of 208  Sun 1st Oct 2017 2:20pm  

Many of the standard shots are easy to find versions here or on Google but the rarest ones are often ephemera. I try to indicate in new posts if I think a linked photo is particularly vulnerable and/or unique. The first thing I do if I see a (new to me) image is copy it. For the casual seeker of old images there are a wealth of books, especially second hand ones that can be as cheap as postage plus 1p. You need to judge yourself the balance between price and quality bearing in mind that the history is usually better in the new books because faulty assumptions are being corrected all the time. Images might also be better quality but some of the rarest photos didn't survive the war. There are some fairly reliable image locations eg Historic England. We could link to them but they're almost better viewed as street collections at source unless someone has a specific query about a property. I know that it's frustrating for a comment to miss its image but it at least hints that there is an image and someone looking could at ask for a new link or even a copy of the pic. This issue is being debated at higher levels. I joined in with a consultation about encouraging digital culture and made the case for setting the old images free to see what the public would do with them. Museums and galleries could make money in the way the news archives do, by offering annual memberships allowing people access to everything for a fixed fee, rather than trying to arrange a pay per view/copy system. I think that building knowledge bases like Rob's, using people power, will be seen as very valuable soon. It will be recognised that many hands make light work. I'd love Coventry to do something like the conference several of us attended Friday but on a massive online scale where people come in from all over to add to the whole - like this site but more technical. Add to that a drive to bring in images from public and private sources, so that they can be catalogued. Rob's site is regularly referenced by archaeology and history sites as a good history resource Thumbs up but the bulk of people employed in Coventry to look after its history haven't called in. I can't decide if that's a plus or a minus Wink My fear would be that an official site would flounder for lack of committed funding and enthusiasm. For which Rob deserves outstanding recognition, ditto his loyal moderators. Smile

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 196 to 208 of 208 posts

Page 14 of 14

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 11 12 13 14
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Bablake School
|

Next (newer) topic

Rambling, farther afield from Coventry
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 74ms)