No actionNo action
235 posts:
Order:    

NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
226 of 235  Mon 13th Jan 2020 11:35am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2692

Available from today - John Laing Collection: Breaking New Ground Breaking New Ground is a 21-month project to digitise and explore the John Laing Photographic Collection. The John Laing plc building company profoundly shaped post-war Britain. They built outstanding sites of worship like Coventry Cathedral, some of the country’s first motorways, including the M1, the Barbican and buildings which housed pioneering forms of technology such as Berkeley Nuclear Power Station. Historic England holds Laing’s photographic collection of around 230,000 images. Breaking New Ground is a project that will digitise, conserve, catalogue and make accessible 10,000 images from this incredible collection of social history. Historic England Laing Collection. Helen. I'm just going through these and there are some crackers - some I would not necessarily associate with Laing but must be new to the site. Thumbs up Let me know if you are looking for any other specifics - there are some cracking new ones Edited by member, 13th Jan 2020 11:46 am
Coventry photo collections on the Internet
JohnnieWalker
Bonny Hills, Australia
All posts by this member
227 of 235  Mon 13th Jan 2020 10:34pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:336

On 18th Dec 2019 1:21pm, Midland Red said: Great album of photos of Coventry on Flickr here Thumbs up
That is indeed a great collection. Among the rarer photos were a number along the Sowe River footpaths, where I used to run many times during the school holidays in the early 1960s. Changed a bit since then though!
True Blue Coventry Kid

Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
228 of 235  Tue 14th Jan 2020 12:21am  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2333

On 13th Jan 2020 5:53pm, NeilsYard said: Let me know if you are looking for any other specifics - there are some cracking new ones
Cheers Neil. Well I've got this friend who really wants a picture of Silver Street... Wink I regularly comb through the Historic England photos but stuff pops up in other parts of that site so it's always good to keep our eyes open. I've got various pictures of Silver Street but a nice old photo would be very useful for me too. I'm quite flush with images but I still find gems, like Vicar Lane. I'm looking for yards, backs of buildings, demolition or even bomb damage - Those Board of Health pamphlets were excellent, even if some of the images elude my detection ability (they could be well outside my area but sometimes I discover that a picture I was sure wasn't Coventry, turns out to be). Very old sketches, paintings and etchings are the ideal but there are a few areas that might be still out there in photography. I'm still looking for photos of the middle bit of Cox Street, east side. The stretch on Gosford Street south side replaced by the factories. I've got much of it but not all. The bit on Much Park Street where Short Street was built and on the same side of the road, the bit where they built the school. I've got a lot of nice demolition pictures of that whole area. The middle part, north side of Jordan Well is mostly missing a decent picture, although most of it looks newish from a distance. The section to the south of Jordan Well from Much Park Street to the Little Palace Yard isn't well covered either. On the north side of Earl Street, the section from the corner of Bayley Lane to Wheelers on the corner of St Marys Street. There might be pictures of the north side of Earl Street to that shop on the corner of Hay Lane, taken before they started demolition for the Council House. I've got some sketches and a rough photo from the back but no good photo of the fronts. The Star Yard might also be interesting. ...Well you did ask Lol
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
229 of 235  Tue 14th Jan 2020 9:20am  

Yes I was hoping! I'll add to threads on here some of the new ones to me.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
230 of 235  Tue 14th Jan 2020 12:50pm  

There are so many good images at Historic England it would be hard to choose which photos to include. A lot of them are from a survey after the war. The Herbert have some of the same collection but different ones. Logically there are some buildings missing that I know should have been photographed but aren't in either repository so maybe there's a third lot?
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
231 of 235  Sun 19th Apr 2020 10:53pm  

Some interesting drawings from the restoration of the old cathedral and the designs for the new one.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
232 of 235  Tue 21st Apr 2020 2:33pm  

For one of the greatest collections of pictures and information on Coventry, may I remind people that this site is blooming fantastic. I'm still not done looking through every topic that might be of interest to me but when I do I'm constantly delighted at what has been posted before. The library plus Rob's History site and his pictures are also worth looking at cover to cover. I'm going to go through them again because each time I look, I'm searching for tiny details I didn't spot the other times.
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
233 of 235  Tue 21st Apr 2020 3:23pm  

I seem to have built up quite a collection on my laptop now as well, so if anyone is ever after anything specific just shout out. I try to capture anything I see that’s not in the normal books / views etc. and not seen much before. I do try to add on here when I can but there are quite a few! Edited by member, 21st Apr 2020 3:23 pm
bohica
coventry
All posts by this member
234 of 235  Tue 21st Apr 2020 8:34pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:294

Neil, I'm looking for a picture of a carnival float made by AWA/HSA apprentices, likely early to mid-60s, that used a Hunter cockpit. If you ever come across one, please remember me.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
235 of 235  Wed 22nd Apr 2020 12:28pm  

If there is a resource you use often, it helps to make your own copy (naughty I know). Sometimes (not unreasonably) they prevent you from doing this. Usually you can get round this by screen printing at a size that suits and if necessary stitching the bits back together. I use presentation software (eg Power Point) to arrange them. I then save them in useful groups eg Fire Insurance in a folder marked Maps.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 226 to 235 of 235 posts

Page 16 of 16

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 . 12 13 14 15 16
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Four Pounds Avenue
|

Next (newer) topic

Spon End