No actionNo action
318 posts:
Order:    

Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
316 of 318  Thu 6th Aug 2020 11:06am  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2338

Yes Kaga, that ties in with the maps and the dates. My only issue would be that the lion in the photo marked 1874 is on the Warwick Lane end of the Red Lion Yard, not the Hertford Street side. The only map that shows the inn is the 1850 map and there was a building in the space in the photo. Was that demolished before 1861 when the lion was acquired? The inn at the time was to the left of the yard, whereas in the photo it is to the right. So it's possible that for a time this lion was at the Hertford Street end or were there two lions at some point? Once Hertford Street was built, the inn was accessed from that end (the rear) for ease of entry but originally it would have received people from the Warwick Lane end. This lion appears to have a child riding its back. Is there a story behind that? Edited by member, 6th Aug 2020 11:22 am
Hertford Street
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
317 of 318  Thu 6th Aug 2020 2:15pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1794

Further to Kaga’s story, articles in the newspaper 23rd August 1862. The gentlemen doing the painting were two members of the fire brigade. When they were caught that time they had a kettle of black paint. They promised at that time there would be no more practical jokes.
Hertford Street
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
318 of 318  Fri 7th Aug 2020 3:03pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3685

Helen, Clear photo for its age, but no, I don't think there’s anything on the lion’s back, but it has moved position again - wonder if photo was taken for any reason? Maybe they had just won the vote or something, or the oldest guys on the forum. If they want me to join their fire brigade they can think again. Last time I was with the brigade in Hertford Street, they threw a knotted rope over the shops, it snaked down, the knot came down and broke the window. They walked away, left me facing the shop owner. A guy in Hertford Street had two tea canisters, with a black background and Chinese figures in gold relief - he was very proud of them in his shop window. One morning he saw a scratch on them, and called lustily for Joe. When Joe appeared from the basement, he grabbed him by the ear and dragged him to the canisters. “Look, where's that scratch come from?” he yelled, giving the ear a tug. Joe looked. “It’s not a scratch, sir, it's his fishing rod, sir”.
Hertford Street

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 316 to 318 of 318 posts

Page 22 of 22

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .. 18 19 20 21 22
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Canals around Coventry
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry Jazz Clubs