No actionNo action
49 posts:
Order:    

pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
46 of 49  Sat 14th Jun 2014 10:51pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:997

Did Hylands become the Hylands Hotel in the early 1970s. It rings a bell with me as I collected football pools coupons in the area - sometime between 1972 and 1974.
Industry, Business and Work - Coventry hotels
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
47 of 49  Sun 15th Jun 2014 8:36am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4662

Well before then! It's certainly listed as Hylands Hotel in the 1936 Telephone Directory
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
48 of 49  Sun 15th Jun 2014 2:13pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:877

I remember taking a young lady to the Hylands on a first date about 1975. It was an excellent carvery in those days which suited my then gluttonous appetite. Thumbs up It is now a bottom-of-the-range hotel, more of a dubious doss-house if you read its Trip Advisor reviews. They are worth it for a laugh and will leave you wondering (a) how such a place is allowed to remain open, and (b) can there actually be a worse hotel anywhere in Britain.
Gas Centre
Perth Scotland
All posts by this member
49 of 49  Sun 4th Jan 2015 11:28am  
Member: Joined Dec 2014  Total posts:75

Fred Kilpatrick retired to Guernsey not Jersey. We used to live a few doors away from Fred in Keresley and looked him up when we were in Guernsey, we had a very pleasant day with him and his wife on his boat, we took them to The Old Goverment House Hotel for dinner the next evening We opened a shop in Far Gosford Street in 1963 and was told that Fred was the previous tenant selling fruit and veg. Tom Bromwich from the cycle shop opposite told me this, Tom was a lovely guy. Other members have mentioned he had a batch bar in Spon End, I cannot remember this but know he had a cafe in Ford Street about 1964, it backed on to the old Pool Meadow site so would have catered for the bus drivers. from what I remember he gave good value for money at the cafe as he did at the Royal Court. Fred then moved to the Berkeley Hotel in Holyhead Road and then to The Royal Court which he bought the whole site (except the cottages by the entrance) for about £24,000, it was an auction so everybody had the same chance to buy it. He then bought the Allesley Hotel and pub near Marton, as someone mentioned a hotel in Jersey. I believe my neighbour in Keresley, Ken Forth, bought one of the cottages, Ken had an engineering factory in Holbrooks and I believe he was a partner in Modern Machine Tools in Gosford Street with Harry Weston. Dutchman I am sure you will remember Modern Machine Tools. Back to the Royal Court which I think was built by William Hillman who died in 1921, Sir John Black who married Hillman's daughter also lived there I believe. The Quadrant Club bought number 7 the Quadrant from Hillman in 1917 for £2500.00 and believe Hillman lived there before the Royal Court. Alan H
Alan H

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 46 to 49 of 49 posts

Page 4 of 4

1 2 3 4
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

J & J Cash
|

Next (newer) topic

British Pressed Panels (B P P)
You are viewing topics in the Industry, Business and Work category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 17th December 2017  (Load time: 87ms)