No actionNo action
10 posts:
Order:    

David H
Lancashire
All posts by this member
1 of 10  Thu 26th Mar 2015 8:14pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:106

I have been reading about Armstrong Siddeley Motors, formed in 1919 at Parkside to produce high-end hand built cars for wealthy customers. It must have been quite a leap of faith to begin producing a car costing the equivalent today of well over £47,000 less than one year after the end of the Great War, but the enterprise proved to be a success, and Armstrong Siddeley continued to make cars for the next forty years. We had a Whitley when I was a teenager and I loved it, revelling in its road presence. I was fascinated with it's preselector gearbox and "fluid flywheel" (whatever that was!) The inventor of this gearing system was I understand Walter Wilson, an engineering genius who was credited as the co-inventor of the tank, which relied on his novel epicyclical gearbox. I do not remember the factory other than going with my father on one occasion to buy a silencer for the Whitley from the parts department and would love to know if anyone has any memories or information regarding the company. Edited by member, 26th Mar 2015 8:19 pm
Armstrong Siddeley Motors
matchle55
Coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 10  Thu 26th Mar 2015 9:05pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:179

My pre war Riley has a Wilson pre -selector gearbox which drives through a centrifugal clutch. When I was looking for a car to restore I knew it had to be Coventry built . The marques I considered were Riley, Alvis, Lea Francis and Armstrong Siddeley, specifically a Typhoon, as it was the Riley was slumbering in a lock up in Barnacle, sorted Smile Smile . All this was 37 years ago.
bohica
coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 10  Thu 26th Mar 2015 9:48pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:222

You may find these of interest... http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Armstrong_Siddeley_Motors http://armstrongsiddeleymotors.com/ http://www.siddeley.org/ ASM also had hangar space at Bitteswell aerodrome after the war where they were involved in many projects relating to the jet turbine engine
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
4 of 10  Thu 26th Mar 2015 11:13pm  
Off-topic / chat  

dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
5 of 10  Thu 26th Mar 2015 11:29pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3011

In the late 1960s there was a beautiful Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire parked outside the garage in Earlsdon Avenue (North). I often admired it as I walked home from school. I later learned it was probably a chauffeur-driven hire car.
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
6 of 10  Sat 11th Mar 2017 6:07pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1704

Post copied from topic Short Street on 16th Mar 2017 9:15 am
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
7 of 10  Thu 16th Mar 2017 9:07am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1982

Ah, yes, the Siddeley. The first time I walked through those gates I believe was 1948, I was being guided on a tour whilst being interviewed for a job as works fireman. There were gangs of men assembling the cars (no track), rows of cars a few yards from each other, all hand built. There was no time fixture to each man for his part in the assembly. They had time to talk. But Coventry in those days, men were happy with their lot, most had recently returned from the horrors of war. All they wanted was a honest job for honest pay, a home of their own, a new city with new shops. There was an expectancy, an excitement, like kids days before Xmas throughout the city. You could feel it all around you, new fashions, new music, new sports facilities, new cars, a great time for a great city.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
8 of 10  Thu 16th Mar 2017 9:49am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4827

Photos of five cars Thumbs up
RogerN
Honiton Devon
All posts by this member
9 of 10  Sat 18th Mar 2017 9:50pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:10

I came to Coventry in 1949 to train with Rootes and as you say there was a vitality about the city. All the car factories were going full blast and sending cars all over the world. Rootes exported over 75% of what they made and there were new cars parked everywhere - plenty of bomb sites - prior to being driven to the docks. Everyone was in work and there were others coming from all over the country to work. The pubs, especially on a Friday, like the Walsgrave and Wyken Pippin, were always busy. Then on Saturday there was the 'City' with George Mason, Plum Warner, Noel Simpson, Norman Lockhart and Dick Mason. The absolute tragedy was the labour unrest which let in the imports and just ended up putting everyone out of work. The convenors and stewards were too politically motivated when they should have been creating an industry to provide jobs for the grandchildren. Happy memories.
Mr Blue Sky
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
All posts by this member
10 of 10  Mon 20th Mar 2017 11:20pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2012  Total posts:21

I worked at Armstrong Siddeley Motors from 1957 to 1960 and remember seeing a Star Sapphire Limousine built for Princess Margaret, it had deep pile lambs wool rugs in the back and wood veneer drinks cabinet, also wood veneer dashboard, a car made for Royalty. It is still on the road today as a wedding hire car by a company in Cornwall.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Holbrooks and Holbrook Lane
|

Next (newer) topic

Three Spires
View similar topics in the Industry, Business and Work category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 5th April 2018  (Load time: 137ms)