Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4603

26 years on - the inquests have now reached day 164 Oh my YNWA
Hillsborough
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
2 of 19  Fri 15th Apr 2016 9:43am  

Today marks the 27th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster, and the last ever memorial service will be held at Anfield this afternoon. Meanwhile, the inquests into the deaths of the 96 have reached the final stages, and hopefully justice will then be served. On this special day, I'd like to share this, taken from another forum. A schoolboy holds a leather ball in a photograph on a bedroom wall the bed is made, the curtains drawn as silence greets the break of dawn. The dusk gives way to morning light revealing shades of red and white which hang from posters locked in time of the Liverpool team of 89. Upon a pale white quilted sheet a football kit is folded neat with a yellow scarf, trimmed with red and some football boots beside the bed. In hope, the room awakes each day to see the boy who used to play but once again it wakes alone for this young boy’s not coming home. Outside, the springtime fills the air the smell of life is everywhere viola’s bloom and tulips grow while daffodils dance heel to toe. These should have been such special times for a boy who’d now be in his prime but spring forever turned to grey in the Yorkshire sun, one April day. The clock was locked on 3.06 as sun shone down upon the pitch lighting up faces etched in pain as death descended on Leppings Lane. Between the bars an arm is raised amidst a human tidal wave a young hand yearning to be saved grows weak inside this deathly cage. A boy not barely in his teens is lost amongst the dying screams a body too frail to fight for breath is drowned below a sea of death His outstretched arm then disappears to signal twenty seven years of tears as 96 souls of those who fell await the toll of the justice bell. Ever since that disastrous day a vision often comes my way I reach and grab his outstretched arm then pull him up away from harm. We both embrace with tear-filled eyes I then awake to realise it’s the same old dream I have each week as I quietly cry myself to sleep. On April the 15th every year when all is calm and skies are clear beneath a glowing Yorkshire moon a lone scots piper plays a tune. The tune rings out the justice cause then blows due west across the moors it passes by the eternal flame then engulfs a young boys picture frame. His room is as it was that day for twenty seven years it’s stayed that way untouched and frozen forever in time since that tragic day in 89. And as it plays its haunting sound tears are heard from miles around they’re tears from families of those who fell awaiting the toll of the justice bell.
Hillsborough
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 19  Fri 15th Apr 2016 3:43pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1542

Beautiful, but so, so sad Sad
Hillsborough
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
4 of 19  Thu 21st Apr 2016 11:30am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1860

Midland Red. That is one of the most touching poems I have ever read, fate can be so unkind. Thank you for the posting.
Hillsborough
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 19  Tue 26th Apr 2016 10:27pm  

Justice at last for the 96
Hillsborough
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
6 of 19  Wed 27th Apr 2016 11:55am  
Member: Joined Oct 2014  Total posts:831

Yes Tony but I see that the ambulance service has been criticised again by those who are unaware of the facts.
Just old and knackered

Hillsborough
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
7 of 19  Wed 27th Apr 2016 9:36pm  

Question 14: emergency response and the role of the South Yorkshire metropolitan ambulance service (Symas) After the crush in the west terrace had begun to develop, was there any error or omission by Symas which caused or contributed to the loss of lives in the disaster? Jury’s answer: Yes. Explanation: • South Yorkshire Metropolitan Ambulance Service officers at the scene failed to ascertain the nature of the problem at Leppings Lane. • The failure to recognise and call a Major Incident led to delays in responses to the emergency.
Hillsborough
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
8 of 19  Thu 28th Apr 2016 11:04am  
Member: Joined Oct 2014  Total posts:831

Good day to all forumites. If one wishes to accept as fact that all courtroom statements are true that is up to the individual. In my day earwigging on other stations was common practice. Don't think it possible now that emergency services use Tetra or Pronto. As I recall events the ambulance service was not alerted untill well after the situation developed. The first ambulance arrived in the predetermined time. Depending on time of day every ambulance station has a response time for different areas. As with the Birmingham bombers the public were a hindrance by not letting ambulances through. Watching TV footage It appeared that few ambulances got onto the pitch while dozens were awaiting outside the stadium. Who was it that failed to recognise that a major incident was developing? Perhaps the police who were already on the site before the disaster started.
Just old and knackered

Hillsborough
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
9 of 19  Mon 9th May 2016 5:43pm  

Amazing programme (aptly named "Hillsborough") on BBC2 last evening. Well worth a watch on iPlayer for anyone that's interested who happened to miss it.
Hillsborough
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
10 of 19  Tue 13th Dec 2016 2:52pm  

Last night ITV aired "Hillsborough: Smears, Survivors and the Search for the Truth", which revealed further cases of conspiracy and cover-up by South Yorkshire Police, and the force charged with investigating the conduct of SYP, our own West Midlands Police This is today's Liverpool Echo report, which is worthy of a read, together with the readers' comments This is not the first programme highlighting what went on post-Hillsborough - and I don't suppose for one moment it will be the last. I recall seeing in an earlier programme a SYP policewoman, who had made a written statement, saying how she had been visited by WMP and told "You weren't there!" It will be interesting to see the outcome of the ongoing IPCC Investigation Last night's programme is available on ITV Player
Hillsborough
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
11 of 19  Tue 13th Dec 2016 10:57pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1573

Such a sad day Cliff. I think I've mentioned here before but for the record I was at Hillsborough for the 1/4 final game in '87 vs. Wednesday (and back again for the Leeds semi.) The tragedy of that day very nearly occurred two years earlier for that game for us. We were packed in like sardines in the Leppings Lane end that day as well. I can remember barely being able to lift my arms up from my sides to celebrate one of Houchen's goals. Terrible that the dangers of those pens was never noticed and lives saved. Sad Edited by member, 14th Dec 2016 1:09 am
Hillsborough
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
12 of 19  Wed 14th Dec 2016 6:28pm  

West Midlands Police Angry A senior police officer has apologised after he sparked fury by following Hillsborough family members on Twitter. The relatives accused the West Midlands Chief Inspector Jack Hadley of “intimidation”. Report in full Angry
Hillsborough
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
13 of 19  Thu 29th Dec 2016 4:44pm  

Hats off to a great man Wave Hillsborough campaigner Prof Phil Scraton has turned down an OBE in the Queen's New Year Honours list. The author, who led the Hillsborough Independent Panel's research team, said he could not receive an honour in protest "at those who remained unresponsive" to help families and survivors affected by the disaster. Ninety-six people died following a crush at Hillsborough on 15 April 1989. In April, an inquest jury concluded the fans were unlawfully killed. Prof Scraton's book, Hillsborough: The Truth, is widely accepted as the definitive account of the disaster. In a statement, he said: "I researched Hillsborough from 1989, publishing reports, articles and the first edition of Hillsborough: The Truth in 1990. "Until 2009, and despite compelling evidence, successive governments declined to pursue a thorough, independent review of the context, consequences and aftermath of the disaster. "This changed as a direct result of the families' and survivors' brave, persistent campaign. "It led to the Hillsborough Independent Panel, its ground-breaking findings, new inquests and their crucially significant verdicts." Prof Scraton has previously received the Freedom of the City of Liverpool, the Political Studies Association's Campaigner of the Year Award and an Honorary Doctorate in Laws from the University of Liverpool "with gratitude and humility". But he added: "I headed the Panel's research team and was a consultant to the families' lawyers throughout the new inquests. "I could not receive an honour on the recommendation of those who remained unresponsive to the determined efforts of bereaved families and survivors to secure truth and justice." Hillsborough campaigners Margaret Aspinall and Trevor Hicks, who both lost children in the disaster at the home ground of Sheffield Wednesday, were made CBEs in 2014. Prof Scraton acknowledged his decision "might come as a disappointment to some Hillsborough families, survivors and whoever nominated me". However, he added: "Finally, I could not accept an honour tied in name to the 'British Empire'. "In my scholarship and teaching I remain a strong critic of the historical, cultural and political contexts of imperialism and their international legacy."
Hillsborough
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
14 of 19  Thu 12th Jan 2017 2:31pm  

Report that Hillsborough suspect files have been passed to Crown Prosecution Service
Hillsborough
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
15 of 19  Sat 15th Apr 2017 12:31pm  

On the 28th anniversary . . . "and the sun shines now" Haunting words from Peter Jones. Like many, being at Hillsborough broke him. He died just over a year later after suffering a stroke whilst covering the Boat Race.
Hillsborough

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 19 posts

Page 1 of 2

1 2
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Union Street
|

Next (newer) topic

Salvation Army & Hostel
View similar topics in the Non-Coventry category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 52ms)