No actionNo action
5 posts:
Order:    

Yusuf
Foleshill
All posts by this member
1 of 5  Sat 25th Apr 2015 9:11am  
Member: Joined Apr 2015  Total posts:2

Hello I am interested in finding out the history of Foleshill Community Centre in Foleshill Coventry. I have been attending this centre since 1975, I have been told that the Americans built it for their service men and then left it for community use. If anyone could help I would appreciate it. Thank you
History Is Important!!

Foleshill Community Centre
Not Local
Bedworth
All posts by this member
2 of 5  Tue 28th Apr 2015 5:06pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:232

Hi Yusuf - I was told that this building was built in World War Two by the government as a 'British Restaurant'. Before my time, but during wartime most food was rationed. Each person was allowed a small ration of different foods and had a little book which had to be produced to the butcher, or other shopkeeper at the time of purchase. Once the monthly ration of a particular item was used up then you had no more until the following month. These restaurants were set up to sell basic meals at reasonable prices and importantly the food was supplied 'off the ration' which meant that people could purchase it without using up their allotted ration of say eggs or sugar. They were staffed by volunteers from the Women's Voluntary Service (WVS). The restaurant stayed open after the end of the war, but I don't know when it closed and became a community centre. I think maybe there was a workers' hostel on the same site - a place where people who had been brought into the city to work in the wartime industries could live. There was another hostel in Holbrooks Lane next to what is now Holbrooks Park (formerly Foleshill Park) where the big working mens club is now situated. There were other hostels all over the city with the last one being in Chace Avenue, Willenhall. There may be other forum users who can add to this, perhaps those who were around after the war.
Yusuf
Foleshill
All posts by this member
3 of 5  Wed 29th Apr 2015 10:45pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2015  Total posts:2

Hi Where can I get hold of this information thank you
History Is Important!!

dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
4 of 5  Thu 30th Apr 2015 1:43am  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:2996

On 25th Apr 2015 9:11am, Yusuf said: I have been attending this centre since 1975, I have been told that the Americans built it for their service men and then left it for community use.
Hi Yusuf and welcome to the forum Wave I think someone may have got it mixed up with Keresley Hospital which was indeed built for American servicemen and then left for community use after the war.
Not Local
Bedworth
All posts by this member
5 of 5  Mon 24th Aug 2015 7:56pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:232

I have just been loaned a copy of 'Folks Hill- A History of Foleshill, Warwickshire 1745 - 1945' by G.A. Cowley, published 2000. In the recollections about World War Two the author says, 'Crope's Houses, a row of four top-shops at the Parting of the Heaths, which in 1861 belonged to William Garner, were blitzed in 1940/41. The local boys had fun in the tall ruins. The Council took the site to build a British Restaurant. Subsequently this became the present Foleshill Community Centre.' This confirms the origins of the current building as a British Restaurant. Edited by member, 25th Aug 2015 9:06 am

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Miles to Coventry
|

Next (newer) topic

Guys Cliffe House
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category