All posts by this member
4 of 35  Mon 18th May 2015 11:04am  
Off-topic / chat  

Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
5 of 35  Mon 18th May 2015 3:55pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:441

On 18th May 2015 8:06am, Midland Red said: My CDs still play, at home and in car. . . . . . Maybe it's different in Canada
No different. New technology has seen disks, tapes, CDs and DVDs off. While some of us olds still use them, people stream music and video now.
Non-Coventry - Modern technology!
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
6 of 35  Mon 18th May 2015 4:21pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
7 of 35  Mon 18th May 2015 4:36pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
8 of 35  Mon 18th May 2015 5:06pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
9 of 35  Mon 18th May 2015 5:12pm  
Off-topic / chat  

flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
10 of 35  Mon 18th May 2015 7:44pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
11 of 35  Tue 19th May 2015 7:35am  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1261

I hope you all didn't mind me creating this new topic for the posts that moved away from the Broadgate thread, but I thought this new discussion was interesting in its own right and deserved a separate thread. Incidentally, it's great to see that LPs are making quite a significant comeback, against the tide of streaming, etc., with many new music releases being made on vinyl once again. Just goes to show - sometimes quality really can win over quantity! And like Flapdoodle says, many new LPs come with a code that allows you to download the music for computer or MP3 player usage, so you can be more "mobile" with your music. Thumbs up
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
12 of 35  Tue 19th May 2015 9:29am  
Off-topic / chat  

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
13 of 35  Tue 19th May 2015 9:34am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4827

For those who don't know exactly what MP3 is, may I quote from Wikipedia which will explain it clearly: MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 Audio Layer III, more commonly referred to as MP3, is an audio coding format for digital audio which uses a form of lossy data compression. It is a common audio format for consumer audio streaming or storage, as well as a de facto standard of digital audio compression for the transfer and playback of music on most digital audio players. The use of lossy compression is designed to greatly reduce the amount of data required to represent the audio recording and still sound like a faithful reproduction of the original uncompressed audio for most listeners. An MP3 file that is created using the setting of 128 kbit/s will result in a file that is about 1/11 the size of the CD file created from the original audio source. An MP3 file can also be constructed at higher or lower bit rates, with higher or lower resulting quality. The compression works by reducing accuracy of certain parts of sound that are considered to be beyond the auditory resolution ability of most people. This method is commonly referred to as perceptual coding. It uses psychoacoustic models to discard or reduce precision of components less audible to human hearing, and then records the remaining information in an efficient manner. MP3 was designed by the Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) as part of its MPEG-1 standard and later extended in the MPEG-2 standard. The first subgroup for audio was formed by several teams of engineers at Fraunhofer IIS, University of Hannover, AT&T-Bell Labs, Thomson-Brandt, CCETT, and others. MPEG-1 Audio (MPEG-1 Part 3), which included MPEG-1 Audio Layer I, II and III was approved as a committee draft of ISO/IEC standard in 1991, finalised in 1992 and published in 1993 (ISO/IEC 11172-3:1993). Backwards compatible MPEG-2 Audio (MPEG-2 Part 3) with additional bit rates and sample rates was published in 1995 (ISO/IEC 13818-3:1995). I thought as much! Roll eyes PS. I wonder if there's a translation into English? Oh my
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
14 of 35  Tue 19th May 2015 10:07am  
Member: Joined Oct 2014  Total posts:824

Well well well. I would never have realised without that explanation.
Just old and knackered

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
15 of 35  Tue 19th May 2015 11:37am  
Off-topic / chat  

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 35 posts

Page 1 of 3

1 2 3
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Astronomy & Outer Space
|

Next (newer) topic

Bedworth and Nuneaton
You are viewing topics in the Non-Coventry category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 5th April 2018  (Load time: 155ms)