All posts by this member
286 of 294  Sat 15th Jul 2017 1:51pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
287 of 294  Sat 15th Jul 2017 3:24pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1642

LesMac. I tried to read McNab years ago, just couldn't read it. Neither did I like that Bear Grylls or whatever his name is, would love to have tied him up on tele, (get out of that) kind of thing. Fiennes crossed both Poles with the top army doctor, to tests man's capabilities under duress, not my cup of tea, would love to have done 7 marathons in 7 days with him. Now it's all over and I can only reminisce.
Our Kaga
zigzag
cornwall
All posts by this member
288 of 294  Sat 15th Jul 2017 3:34pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
289 of 294  Sat 15th Jul 2017 4:57pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
290 of 294  Sun 16th Jul 2017 9:20am  

Forum, good morning. May I go back to that photo of the railway track - when I took that photo, it had nothing to do with putting it on computer, or looking for mines, not even as a snapshot, it was exactly the same as in 1914 1st World War and fitted in with the book I was reading of that war. Time had stood still. Blot out those uniforms and you had the same cursing and complaints, etc, there was nothing to say it was not 1914, and the idea of travelling on that railway with 1st or 2nd World War 'Tommies' made me proud. Well that was my thoughts at that time. ps that van nearly ruined it.
Our Kaga
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
291 of 294  Sun 16th Jul 2017 1:06pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2014  Total posts:856

Yes Kaga, it did occur to me that those mine sweepers in your photograph weren't taking their job to seriously. The third in the row appears to be drunk. And as you say "What about that van"
Just old and knackered

Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
292 of 294  Sun 16th Jul 2017 5:01pm  

Norman C, yes, we had finished our stint, but Norman in 46 we didn't have sweepers, I rushed on to get the camera. but the train track was the same from when it was built, even the carriages were wooden slatted of olden times.
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
293 of 294  Wed 19th Jul 2017 11:26am  

It was a fine clear morning as I strode through Pool Meadow. I was on my way to catch the Red House coach to go to Newmarket Races. I loved travelling through England's beautiful countryside, I loved to see the flashing hooves of the horses over the green turf, I loved to breathe in the clean fresh air, I loved the idleness that fitted me like a well worn coat. I entered the coach and sat down next to Di-Di, who was reading the sporting 'Buff' - the paper was a buff colour and printed in Manchester. Di-Di the son of the ice-cream vendors in Coventry, gambled far heavier than I mainly on the Buffs favourites. But Newmarket was known to be the punters' graveyard, So many trainers in Newmarket entered so many horses to give them experience you got some very surprise results and the form book was turned upside down. It was around the 4th or 5th race, a moderate little race. I fancied the fav, it had remained steady at even money for some minutes. The horses had gone down to the start, in those days a flag start, I had my bet, not taking the price hoping it may go out to 6/4, when there was a great commotion. Several men had rushed down to the bookies line and laid money on a rank outsider at 14/1. Bookies started to scramble to hedge their bets, the price tumbled to 10's then to 6's - this was known as a 'springer', a horse trained specially for a race to win money. I laid a small wager at 6/1 to cover my money I had laid on the fav, that had now drifted out to 5/1. People who followed the money were still rushing to get a price but the bookies wiped the horse off their boards, and then the tannoy announced the horse was 'disqualified' on a technicality about its headgear. In the same breath it said "they're off". Some of the medium bookies breathed a sigh of relief, if the horse had have won they would have been wiped out. The horses flashed by, the fav way in front. All bets on the disqualified horse were refunded, the market had no time to re-form so the fav paid out five to one. I was jubilant. After a few minutes I made my way back to the coach, just in time to see Di-Di carry a crate of beer onto the coach. He had bet heavily on the fav, groaned when he saw the 'springer' then rejoiced when the fav drifted and the springer was disqualified. He handed round the beer to the regulars, people on the coach had come back early so we got underway before the usual traffic jam. Over the next few days we learnt the stewards had become suspicious of the horse's trainer, had disqualified it on a small infringement, they also stopped the trainer as he was about to leave the course with the horsebox. A French trainer with stable boy and girl that spoke no English, he had brought over a very good horse that had won races, the animal's records had been swopped over. I believe he was banned from entering any racecourse in England.
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
294 of 294  Wed 19th Jul 2017 4:28pm  

Norman C. No the little guy was not drunk. Dickie Forbury slept in the same tent as me - let me tell you about him. Dickie was dropped by chute behind enemy lines in the Ardennes (as were the other three) two years previous on D-Day, but Dickie was shot at by the Germans as he floated down. He was narrowly missed, but his chute and equipment were peppered. He landed in a tree, part went through his left boot and his foot, wedged in the tree. He wasn't found till the following day. Fully recovered he was sent back to the battalion. About two months after that photo was taken some woman MP had been moaning in parliament we weren't earning our danger pay, so they organised a refresher jump course. The first jump we did Dickie froze in the doorway of the aircraft, we bundled him out. He completed the next five jumps without a problem. A little time after that he had a telegram to say his girlfriend had been killed in a motor-cycle accident (pillion passenger). They sent him home on compassionate leave and a home posting till his demob. I never saw him again. The veterans I was with had seen many battles with the Germans, and fully expected and promised at the end of the war they would be stationed in Germany, a little social life, maybe a little fraternization. But no, they were sent to the rocky, desolate and troublesome Palestine - no cinema, no social life, no nothing, only duties, but reading and hearing that two year conscripts were enjoying the benefits that they thought they had fully earned. They deserved better.
Our Kaga

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 286 to 294 of 294 posts

Page 20 of 20

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 16 17 18 19 20
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Obituaries
|

Next (newer) topic

The view from my window
View similar topics in the Coventry People category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 153ms)