No actionNo action
41 posts:
Order:    

AD
Allesley Park
All posts by this member
31 of 41  Fri 15th Jan 2016 1:00pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2011  Total posts:409

I agree - people do expect too much of councillors and politicians. But that's because people (include the politicians themselves) believe the illusion that they have power. They're essentially there to the spokesperson and public face, and the scapegoat if necessary. It's much easier to vent frustration at a panto villain than have to look into the incredibly complex inner-workings. Would you really put someone with no history, background or training of economics in charge of the entire financial and economic future of your company? Or someone without a knowledge of planning and design in charge of that department? Or a non-military person in charge at the MoD, giving them the keys to all manner of hardware. And any of these people can then be swapped around or replaced willy nilly on the whim of an individual? Of course you wouldn't. It's easier to blame the monkey, while the organ grinder hides in the shadows without anyone having any idea they're even there.
Broad Lane / A45 Junction
AD
Allesley Park
All posts by this member
32 of 41  Sat 6th Feb 2016 3:52pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2011  Total posts:409

AD said: I agree. The whole point is supposed to be to make the junctions as easy to traverse as possible by removing as many potential problems and hazards as possible leaving a driver to concentrate on a few core things. This is not 'driving on auto-pilot'. The argument seems to be "if we make it more complicated the safer it will be because drivers will be concentrating more" which is a total nonsense.
As if to prove my point Removal of road markings criticised by safety campaigners So what next - deliberately poor road surfaces and dirt tracks to slow people down? Slower speed does not automatically equal driving more safely. Slow speed is because someone is uncertain of the situation. This makes them nervous. Nervous people are jumpy, reactive and do not make good decisions. Edited by member, 6th Feb 2016 3:56 pm
Osmiroid
UK
All posts by this member
33 of 41  Sat 6th Feb 2016 4:26pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2013  Total posts:341

It makes things more nervous as a cyclist, and in the middle of more than two lanes it feels like you helplessly stranded out in a mass of speeding cars.
Bertiewoost
Mount Nod, Coventry
All posts by this member
34 of 41  Sun 7th Feb 2016 7:45pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2013  Total posts:24

Another accident at this roundabout last night, surely the emergency services must be getting fed up with this now. I wonder what the tally of accidents is? Roll eyes
Osmiroid
UK
All posts by this member
35 of 41  Sun 7th Feb 2016 9:03pm  

I went through today, some big horn blasting going on, I wondered what would happen, luckily not by me and luckily no accident.
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
36 of 41  Mon 8th Feb 2016 12:27pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2014  Total posts:823

There has been a number of collisions at this island that have not been reported in the press. Probably got fed up reporting the same old thing. Last week on two separate occasions I noticed debris at this island. I have lived in the Allesley district for over 30 years and can recall only one minor incident at this junction prior to the construction of the new island. .. ! million spent. Value for money?
Just old and knackered

TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
37 of 41  Fri 21st Oct 2016 8:08am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1553

Yet another attempt to get it right! It now appears they are adding brightly-lit LED signs (VAS) to the approaches to remind people they should give way!
Osmiroid
UK
All posts by this member
38 of 41  Fri 21st Oct 2016 9:46am  

They did have some portable ones. This junction feels like wallpapering over cracks in a leaking ship. As a cyclist I want to just ride through it as normal instead of constantly on the lookout for the safety of my life.
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
39 of 41  Fri 21st Oct 2016 11:30am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:425

On 22nd Dec 2015 2:33pm, Osmiroid said: The worst thing about the council's theory is that they are using this junction as a live laboratory experiment with human lives.
In the early 70s, something completely new appeared in Witney: at the bottom of a steep hill on the main road, instead of lights at the junction: one of those silly little mini islands that aren't really an island, about 6 ft diameter. But it was made of a few sheets of steel plate, shiny, and lethal to cyclists and motorcyclists in the wet. My also-mad-on-motorbikes mate, who had just moved to Witney and joined the local police force, explained that it was an experimental island, and that smaller vehicles were supposed to go around the so-called island, whilst big lorries and buses were to drive over it. I'd never seen anything so stupid, and he did not agree with me that "they are experimenting with peoples' lives". Those silly non-island islands that are everywhere these days (thankfully not made of steel plates) are treated by me with the contempt they deserve: I frequently drive as if they don't exist (traffic conditions and absence of marked police vehicles permitting!).
Osmiroid
UK
All posts by this member
40 of 41  Fri 21st Oct 2016 11:44am  

When cycling (not at this junction) I came off due to a wet metal manhole cover, it was just like ice! Luckily I was only shaken. I am very wary of them now.
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
41 of 41  Fri 21st Oct 2016 12:35pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:425

On 6th Feb 2016 3:52pm, AD said: So what next - deliberately poor road surfaces and dirt tracks to slow people down? Slower speed does not automatically equal driving more safely. Slow speed is because someone is uncertain of the situation. This makes them nervous. Nervous people are jumpy, reactive and do not make good decisions.
Good point. I often follow a dithery, hesitant, nervous driver who appears to have no idea how wide or narrow his/her vehicle is, and think "If you're that scared of your own vehicle, you should have failed your test, I doubt if you have ever taken a test, and you really shouldn't be on the public highway". The above does not apply to professional drivers, esp. big vehicles like buses and lorries.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 31 to 41 of 41 posts

Page 3 of 3

1 2 3
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Aberfan tragedy, 21 Oct 1966
|

Next (newer) topic

Corporation Street