No actionNo action
26 posts:
Order:    

pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
16 of 26  Thu 2nd Jul 2015 6:04pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:987

Yes, I have read about this too. I don't really see how they can suggest that a 2-dimensional image of a 3-dimensional object can infringe copyright. They are entirely different things. If you have a photograph of a piece of architecture for instance are you able to walk inside. Anyway I am not photographing the building, I am merely capturing the light reflected from it. I would get an entirely different image if I tried to photograph it at night. It is a few politicians who have their heads on backwards while making new laws. Who was the fool who suggested the only place you can legally park a mobility scooter is in a car-parking bay?
Copyright
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
17 of 26  Fri 3rd Jul 2015 11:28am  

Another thought here ............. Who will own the copyright of the building. Will it be the owners who commissioned the architect to design it, or the architects themselves? What about the copyright on the fixtures and fittings. Are these amassed as part of the building, even though they are often off the shelf components and already subject to copyright from their manufacturers. Remember too that the architects are influenced by buildings from the past and often reproduce motifs from those. Will that need to stop too?
Copyright
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
18 of 26  Mon 26th Sep 2016 8:36am  

You can now embed some photographs from Getty Images but that is not true of other stock photo libraries.
Copyright
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
19 of 26  Wed 28th Sep 2016 9:33pm  

I wonder if anyone can resolve this dilemma. Prof wrote on post 242 of the 'Old Coventry Cathedral' thread that he believes one of the statues is St Lawrence and his grid-iron. After a Google search, I found a number of images of the said saint taken from ancient manuscripts and published on the British Library site. Yet it seems the British Library claim copyright on those images. How? The only logical answer to my mind is that they are claiming copyright to the digitized copy of the original. As they hold the original then they can make a new copy as and when the current copy runs out and by doing so keep it within their copyright. So, if that is true, then when members digitize old postcards they hold the copyright of that digital image. On another front, but also about copyright, some people are copyrighting whole buildings. For instance, the Eiffel Tower is copyright. Some take that to mean that you cannot take photographs of it. Surely that can't be true. A building is 3 dimensional whereas a photograph only records in 2 dimensions. There is also the idea that a photographer merely records the light reflected from the building so is not making a copy of the building itself. Anyway St Lawrence and his grid iron
Copyright
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
20 of 26  Thu 29th Sep 2016 2:45am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2854

Good Morning Pix, Having read all you say above, I think you have opened a new can of worms. It makes you think! Roll eyes
Copyright
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
21 of 26  Thu 29th Sep 2016 2:57am  

As this is a history forum Dreamtime, do you know of the Diet of Worms?
Copyright
Robthu
Coventry
All posts by this member
22 of 26  Thu 29th Sep 2016 7:41am  
Member: Joined Oct 2012  Total posts:75

Another take on a "can of worms" Derek.
Copyright
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
23 of 26  Thu 29th Sep 2016 8:14am  

On 29th Sep 2016 2:57am, pixrobin said: As this is a history forum Dreamtime, do you know of the Diet of Worms?
No Pix, surprise me ? Smile
Copyright
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
24 of 26  Mon 3rd Oct 2016 12:14am  

The Diet of Worms in 1521 was an imperial council that was convened to decide the fate of Martin Luther. It was held in Worms, Germany. The Holy Roman Emperor Charles V presided over the diet.
Copyright
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
25 of 26  Mon 3rd Oct 2016 3:00am  

Not quite what I expected Pix, but interesting nonetheless. Thank you for your post. You boys always come up with the goodies. It would not have surprised me if you had come up with a picture! Wave
Copyright
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
26 of 26  Mon 3rd Oct 2016 4:32pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:431

I remember at school being amazed that Martin Luther had lived on a diet of worms and feeling let down later on when I found out what it really meant Smile
Copyright

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 26 of 26 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Rag 'n' Bone men
|

Next (newer) topic

Royal Navy connections
View similar topics in the Non-Coventry category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 71ms)