Next pageLast page
67 posts:
Order:    

Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
1 of 67  Fri 17th Jul 2015 11:14am  
Member: Joined Oct 2014  Total posts:824

I believe that those with Windows 7 or 8 can now load Windows 10 for free. If so has anyone tried it? I did have a look but the saying "Where angels fear to tread" came to mind. Also, what is this Windows 8.1 all about and is that worth loading? I am using Windows 7.
Just old and knackered

Computer hints and tips - Windows 10
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
2 of 67  Fri 17th Jul 2015 11:51am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4823

I'm interested in this, too, as I have an icon inviting me to upgrade (from Windows 7) to Windows 10 Oh my
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
3 of 67  Fri 17th Jul 2015 12:01pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1137

I am going to have a go with Windows 10, I am using Windows 7 at the moment. I have an email that says my free upgrade will be available on 29th July. I am just going to make sure I have a back up disc for Windows 7 first so I can go back if it is no good!
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
4 of 67  Fri 17th Jul 2015 12:18pm  

Hi all Wave If you look through the Windows 10 load site it does say that if you don't like it you will have to reinstall Windows 7 from a disk. I find all this rather daunting. As for back up discs. I have tried to make a disc several times but for a reason unknown the back up finishes before all the info has been transferred.
Just old and knackered

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
5 of 67  Fri 17th Jul 2015 2:07pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3945

Uh! Please let me know when I can come out from behind the couch. Just gently please.
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
6 of 67  Fri 17th Jul 2015 2:32pm  

Don't come out Philip. I will come and join you.
Just old and knackered

mcsporran
Coventry & Cebu
All posts by this member
7 of 67  Fri 17th Jul 2015 4:31pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:359

You have one year from the launch date to decide if you wish to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. Then after you upgrade, you have 30 days to decide if you want to downgrade back. This applies to Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 only.
andyk69
Coventry CV1
All posts by this member
8 of 67  Fri 17th Jul 2015 5:36pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2014  Total posts:22

I work in IT as it goes (very dull I know) Personally, I've been looking at Windows 10 for some months now. It looks very much to me like they have taken the best of Windows 7 and 8.1 and improved on it all. It seems easy to use, although things have been moved around a lot. Particularly control panel settings. Admittedly, there wasn't much from Windows 8 to keep. It's been referred to as Vista 2 more than once at my work. A useless operating system that the general public just can't get their head around (me included to some extent) I like it, and will more than likely take the free upgrade, especially since the end of life notice for XP where I watched the panic as people and businesses HAD to upgrade. But, if you're happy with what you've got.....
Andrew Kida

Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
9 of 67  Tue 21st Jul 2015 3:31pm  

See here
Just old and knackered

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
10 of 67  Tue 4th Aug 2015 12:35pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4823

Coventry Telegraph article Thumbs up A warning from the Daily Mail And another Oh my
Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
11 of 67  Thu 6th Aug 2015 12:26am  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:441

The Daily Mail article was full of rumour and malicious gossip. Take no notice of what they say.. If you sport a tin foil hat and are bothered by privacy concerns, read this
Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
12 of 67  Thu 6th Aug 2015 12:28am  

On 21st Jul 2015 3:31pm, Norman Conquest said: See here
Microsoft do NOT recommend upgrading XP or Vista era machines as much because device drivers may not exist as much as anything else. I fail to see why this article was even written..
Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
13 of 67  Thu 6th Aug 2015 12:33am  

On 17th Jul 2015 5:36pm, andyk69 said: I work in IT as it goes (very dull I know) Personally, I've been looking at Windows 10 for some months now. It looks very much to me like they have taken the best of Windows 7 and 8.1 and improved on it all. It seems easy to use, although things have been moved around a lot. Particularly control panel settings. Admittedly, there wasn't much from Windows 8 to keep. It's been referred to as Vista 2 more than once at my work. A useless operating system that the general public just can't get their head around (me included to some extent) I like it, and will more than likely take the free upgrade, especially since the end of life notice for XP where I watched the panic as people and businesses HAD to upgrade. But, if you're happy with what you've got.....
Andy, I have been running 10 on an ageing (2010) Toshiba Netbook from the outset and it has performed way better than ever it did running Windows 7.

Windows 10 is probably the best release since XP, and is much better than the original XP ever was.

Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
14 of 67  Mon 17th Aug 2015 4:18pm  

Thank you for all those comments.. Is there anyone who could answer some of my concerns about Windows 10? First, how long does it take to load on a PC? I understand that all PCs are not the same but for its age and use my PC is fairly nifty. Boot time is usually under one minute. What about all my photographs? Will they vanish or will I still have them? All my bookmarked sites, will they go? Are there any tasks to be done before loading such as defragging or anything else? I am not too savvy with computers, my expertise has been in bandaging broken heads and sticking plasters on cut fingers. so please reply in words of two syllables, or less. And finally, the most stupid question of all. I have several keyboards, they all have a pimple on the F and J keys. Why is this? Blush
Just old and knackered

pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
15 of 67  Mon 17th Aug 2015 5:00pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1004

On the keyboard question, basically they are locators for touch typists. Windows 10? I haven't upgraded my machine as yet so cannot really answer that. I have downloaded a copy and the 64-bit version took 6 hours to download but I'm on a standard broadband connection and only get a download speed of 6 megabits per second (when I lived in Accrington and much closer to the local telephone exchange it was 16 megabits). A couple of people I know have already had the upgrade. One had no problems whatsoever. The other lost her internet connection and it showed 'Error 561' or something similar. There are workarounds to this but it can be more easily fixed by getting in touch with your Internet Service Provider and ask them to reset it their end. During the set-up of Windows 10 you are asked if you want to do a 'clean install'. Don't. From info on the internet this can wipe your C:/ drive (the one you boot from) clean and some have lost both data and programs. A standard install retains you data. There is a warning that there must be at least 8GB free on your hard drive for Windows to install properly. Personally I wouldn't attempt loading Windows 10 before doing a disk clean and a defrag. Also make sure that your Windows 7/8 has received all its updates prior to installing Windows 10. If you have Malwarebytes then I would do a scan with that too.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 67 posts

Page 1 of 5

1 2 3 4 5
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Computer hacking, malware and viruses
|

Next (newer) topic

The Internet - a knowledge base without compare
You are viewing topics in the Computer hints and tips category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 5th April 2018  (Load time: 106ms)