Next pageNo action
83 posts:
Order:    

Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
61 of 83  Thu 19th May 2016 8:15pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2012  Total posts:545

Yes Norman Conquest, you sir. Do you not even hear the Windows jingle after it has just booted up. I'm surprised the forums can't help. Why not try the 'pcadvisor' forum, they have some very clever dickies on there. It ain't half hot mum. Joking aside, try it, they are professionals.
Windows 10
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
62 of 83  Fri 20th May 2016 11:43am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1252

The first time I tried to load Windows 10 it failed due to a lack of hard disk. Got a new one for Christmas. The second time it failed because my machine doesn't have certain things 10 needs. Sad I can recommend backing up - I used free software called Paragon. But with a new HD, Avast instead of AVG, it's working ok again and will see me ok until I get a new one, so long as more keys don't drop off.
Windows 10
Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
63 of 83  Fri 20th May 2016 12:11pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:440

Philip, forget AVG, It is no better than Windows Defender I have been using it its predecessors for years without incident. Heathite, you are spreading FUD. Google Chrome and the Google browser put you right in the middle of ad land, and all browsers are going that way. it is called 'monetizing'. Re Windows 7, Microsoft will be supporting it through security updates until 2020, but other manufacturers will drop Windows 7 support before 2020, and Windows 7 will not look so good then. Norman, hardware drivers are the issue. Microsoft have only been allowed to produce basic stuff for I/O, even for their own branded keyboards and mice. The actual device manufacturers control full driver production. In proprietary makes, hardware devices on the motherboards often comes from manufacturers who go bust, lose interest. If your machine is a desktop, you can replace your sound card for something generic which will work. Try to get one with Realtek drivers. They work. Laptop owners are not so lucky with sound and Wi-Fi a real issue for many. Re the SSD cache issue, again, it is a case of manufacturers disappearing. OCZ went bust, but so did the manufacturer responsible for much of the SSD caching software used by other SSD manufacturers, Dataplex. Until Microsoft can secure rights to SSD caching software, Windows 10 will be left in the lurch. It will happen but not yet. Have a great day, all of you.. Wink Edited by member, 20th May 2016 12:12 pm
Windows 10
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
64 of 83  Fri 20th May 2016 3:10pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2014  Total posts:823

Thank you for that Mike... I will certainly look into it this evening.
Just old and knackered

Windows 10
LesMac
Coventry
All posts by this member
65 of 83  Sun 7th May 2017 9:55am  
Member: Joined Dec 2011  Total posts:291

Has anyone yet tried the NEW Windows 10. Yesterday I spotted an invitation to upload it so thought that I would have some of that. Took about an hour to load with several stops and starts. When it was fully loaded it left me thinking what was all that about as there was no noticeable difference from the first version of 10. On checking the tips it did show several small changes that I doubt that I will ever use. On the load page it did show that it is easy to go back to the previous version of 10 but up to now I have been unable to find out how. On the whole I am not over impressed and If I can find a way back without doing a restore I will do so,
Windows 10
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
66 of 83  Sun 7th May 2017 10:13am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5119

Thanks for that, LesMac - not that I went with Windows 10 though Oh my Coincidentally, I was just about to post this conversation I'd come across in the last few days on another forum, just in case it helps anyone Thumbs up Does anybody know what has happened to ***** and his website. It hasn't been touched since last March (2016). Hope heโ€™s ok. Thanks. *****'s okay. An update to Windows 10 has made the programme that he used to build the site no longer compatible. With so much data it would be too big a task to start it all again. The site will stay up, but can't be updated. OK thanks. Shame after so much work into it to not be able to continue. I readily admit to being no IT expert at all. But after switching to a new laptop last year on Windows 10 I had all sorts of issues with a variety of old programs that would not initially work on the new platform. Somehow I managed with huge effort to get them all functioning in the end or fund ways to move to new ones without too much extra work. Could not tell you how in each case as I just seemed to 'fiddle around' until I got somewhere. Is there no way that some tech savvy geek here could not get *****'s steam-driven program working again? Or provide a way of transferring his data easily to a modern version as a work-around? I had a Windows 10 issue after an update with my display driver that had a conflict with Windows 10. I solved my problem by doing a clean reinstall of Windows (it's an automated process) on my laptop to revert it back to Windows 8.1. But before any reinstall of Windows is made a full backup of any files MUST be done otherwise you will lose all information. This is because the hard drive is completely wiped clean of all stored information. This reinstall should solve ***** and his website creating software problem. ***** must check to whether during the Windows 10 install his previous version of Windows was stored in his computer. If he sees a file stating 'Windows OS' in his my documents folder below videos and above the D drive in my documents he will be OK. At this location my laptop when using Windows 10 listed it being as 'Windows 8.1' Hope this info helps ***** and his excellent website.
Windows 10
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
67 of 83  Wed 10th May 2017 7:53pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1067

WINDOWS SECURITY ALERT Over the weekend a security flaw was found in some of the Windows Defender codings. It affects Win 8, 8.1, and 10. A security update has been issued and it should download when you try to shut down your computer. DO NOT miss this update.
Windows 10
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
68 of 83  Wed 22nd Aug 2018 5:36pm  

Can anyone help with using Microsoft Paint in Windows 10? When I've taken a PRT SCRN, then opened Paint, then ctrl V, nothing happens.
Windows 10
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
69 of 83  Wed 22nd Aug 2018 6:01pm  

I've got Paint 3D with Windows 10. ctrl prt scrn and then paste as a new file works for me. Was MS Paint a left over from upgrading to Windows 10?
Windows 10
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
70 of 83  Wed 22nd Aug 2018 6:14pm  

Thank you - I'll try it later. But why do we need to press ctrl along with PRT SCRN? With Win 7 a straightforward PRT SCRN copied it to the clipboard. I'll see if I can get it to work, thanks again ๐Ÿ‘
Windows 10
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
71 of 83  Wed 22nd Aug 2018 6:19pm  

To answer your question, I didn't upgrade to Windows 10 - I bought another laptop. So it already had Win 10. I expected Paint to perform the same as it did in Win 7. I have an idea that Microsoft wants to push us toward using 'Edge'. Or maybe even push us 'over the edge'. Am I paranoid? of course I am!
Windows 10
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
72 of 83  Wed 22nd Aug 2018 8:09pm  

Hmm, I'm sure my last laptop needed a ctrl, but you're right it doesn't need it now. Yes, Microsoft are deliberately making old software fail. I've got two versions of Office and they're a bit dodgy on 10.
Windows 10
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
73 of 83  Wed 22nd Aug 2018 8:30pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1333

On my windows 10 paint I have a thing at the top left that looks like a clipboard. I just click on that and what I have copied is pasted there.
Windows 10
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
74 of 83  Wed 22nd Aug 2018 8:53pm  

Thanks for that Annewiggy, you have answered my question. Or should I say highlighted it, . . because . . after I have pressed PRT SCRN in the hope of the content being copied to the clipboard . . when I open Paint and click on the top left hand clipboard icon . . nothing happens. So where has my content gone?
Windows 10
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
75 of 83  Wed 22nd Aug 2018 9:21pm  

If you haven't had prt scrn work since you've got that laptop, you might try ctrl or fn in conjunction with prt scrn. I'm sure that keyboards vary.
Windows 10

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 61 to 75 of 83 posts

Page 5 of 6

1 2 3 4 5 6
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Peeping Tom
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry photos from the 1960s & 1970s