Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1137

shift+print screen works for me
Windows 10
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
77 of 83  Thu 23rd Aug 2018 7:49am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:770

I've grown to hate 10. A lot of useful things that used to work under 7 have been taken away; e.g. on the favourites list, a quick way of going to something was to simply type in the first letter, like U for UPS. Microsoft in its infinite wisdom because they think they know better have taken that out, so now I have to scroll down several screens to get there. It also keeps wanting to update and reboot my PC. I'm forever getting pop-ups to that effect which are a darned nuisance. The other day without warning it closed me down in the middle of doing something important and a box popped up telling me it was updating and rebooting! It's a ruddy nuisance because every time it updates with the supposedly improved software they introduce a whole load more bugs and problems. Let's face it, if Microsoft wrote their software properly to begin with (something they've been incapable of since day one) they wouldn't need to constantly update. Ever time it reboots it's lost all my settings for logging in to sites, so I have to put them all back manually. I finally found a way to stop it doing updates and reboots, last week, and it hasn't bothered me since. Fingers crossed!
Windows 10
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
78 of 83  Thu 23rd Aug 2018 8:32am  
Member: Joined Aug 2012  Total posts:693

On 22nd Aug 2018 9:21pm, Helen F said: If you haven't had prt scrn work since you've got that laptop, you might try ctrl or fn in conjunction with prt scrn. I'm sure that keyboards vary.
Thank you Helen, the FN plus PRT SCRN worked for me. Thumbs up
Windows 10
mcsporran
Coventry & Cebu
All posts by this member
79 of 83  Thu 23rd Aug 2018 9:51am  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:458

As I understand it the PrtSc key is also usually the SysRq key, (your keyboard spelling may vary) so if you press it alone, you do a SysRq, which for Windows is normally ignored. You thus have to use another key, shift, Ctrl, Fn, Alt or the windows key to get PrtSc. Of course the key is also mis-named, it usually copies the screen image to the clipboard rather than print it. Now had anyone found a use for the other mystery key, Pause Break?
Windows 10
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
80 of 83  Thu 23rd Aug 2018 10:51am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:770

On 23rd Aug 2018, mcsporran said: Of course the key is also mis-named, it usually copies the screen image to the clipboard rather than print it.
What, Microsoft not doing what it says on the tin? No, I cannot believe that. You're right about the Pause/Break key. It's been there since the year dot, and I have never used it. It does absolutely nothing (apart from the keyboard recognises it has been pressed then sends the appropraite key code to the PC which completely ignores it!). I guess it's a legacy, maybe from before-PC times, when some programs, if tracing or listing, say, had a means of being stopped before resuming. A program running could still easily use that key, but this day and age it's usually accomplished by clicking the mouse somewhere. Edited by member, 23rd Aug 2018 10:52 am
Windows 10
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
81 of 83  Thu 23rd Aug 2018 11:34am  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2334

Happy to help Heathite and in return I've discovered that this laptop doesn't need fn or ctrl. Thumbs up Perhaps the break key was meant to be the magic button I've always dreamed of? I want one that says to the computer - "stop whatever it is that you're doing, which is using up all my resources AND DO AS YOU'RE BL**DY TOLD!!!!" The number of updates due to Intel, MS, software, anti virus, etc, etc are getting mad. MS are trying to force people to buy new versions of its software. I've got two copies of Office and I still prefer the 2000 version for certain things. People discovered that the new versions weren't substantially better than the old but the menues and feaures they liked changed for the worse, so stopped updating. If I have to get new software, my next one will be an open source version. The freebies are almost as good as the pay stuff. Better, as they're not driven to change stuff for the sake of it. Edited by member, 23rd Aug 2018 12:19 pm
Windows 10
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
82 of 83  Thu 23rd Aug 2018 12:18pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5665

Having read all this, I'm glad I'm still on Windows 7! Lol I had to Google "fn" as I didn't recognise it - no wonder, I don't have one on my keyboard! Oh my
Windows 10
3Spires
Leicestershire
All posts by this member
83 of 83  Fri 24th Aug 2018 5:11pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2018  Total posts:112

Hi All Be careful with hanging on to Windows 7 - Which? advises that security updates for it will stop in 2020 Sad
Windows 10

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 76 to 83 of 83 posts

Page 6 of 6

1 2 3 4 5 6
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Peeping Tom
|

Next (newer) topic

Missing Waters