No actionNo action
22 posts:
Order:    

Earlsdon Kid
Argyll & Bute, Scotland
All posts by this member
16 of 22  Wed 19th Jul 2017 1:31pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2017  Total posts:30

Hi Dougie and mickw, Interesting reading! I have a book about David Murray and the Ecurie Ecosse team - link - which has a couple of the cars on the front cover. Inside the back cover is a D-type MWS301 at Le Mans which seems pretty close to the WWS 301 car sold in America - could this be the same car (mistaken identity)? The transporter also appears in the book. There is also a section showing MWS 303 with front left damage being driven by Ron Flockhart in 1957 practice for the Nurburgring 1000km. It has the No 9 on at this time. I really must read the book properly, although this may have to wait for autumn evenings!
Industry, Business and Work - Jaguar Car Racing
LesMac
Coventry
All posts by this member
17 of 22  Wed 19th Jul 2017 3:47pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2011  Total posts:291

I think that it was a Jaguar driven by Stirling Moss or perhaps Mike Hailwood that caused that horrendous crash at Le Mans back in the 50s. A lot of spectators died and perhaps drivers. Long time ago but I remember the incident although forgotten the details.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
18 of 22  Wed 19th Jul 2017 4:24pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5024

I guess you meant Mike Hawthorn, whom Wikipedia confirms having been involved Oh my
Earlsdon Kid
Argyll & Bute, Scotland
All posts by this member
19 of 22  Wed 19th Jul 2017 4:33pm  

It was the 1955 Le Mans and Mike Hawthorn was the Jaguar driver. There has always been some controversy about how the collision happened as can be seen from the various reports. One thing is certain, safety of both drivers and spectators was almost non-existent in this era of the sport. I've included some links fyi: Le Mans 1955 Disaster: How it happened (YouTube) - with explanatory comments Le Mans Disaster (1955) (YouTube) - WARNING! this is a somewhat graphic report from "Pathe News" which for some reason is horizontally inverted at some points!
dougie
from Wigan
All posts by this member
20 of 22  Fri 21st Jul 2017 9:47am  
Member: Joined Dec 2010  Total posts:197

Earlsdon Kid (They are stopping you uploading photos from Photobucket unless you pay). This is just a photo test on the site of the D-Type Jaguar Ashtoner Clive Unsworth of Unsworth's TV and Record shop in the driving seat of his blue Jaguar D Type. This car, MWS 303, is a short nose version and was bought, in the late 50s, for about £1800. It'll be worth a fortune now. Photo taken near Southport in the early to mid 60s. Don't know who the passenger is, Edited by member, 22nd Jul 2017 11:04 am
Earlsdon Kid
Argyll & Bute, Scotland
All posts by this member
21 of 22  Sat 22nd Jul 2017 10:51pm  

I checked the DVLA site just now and this car was first registered March 1956. I have included a couple of links with this same photo and youtube link. Apologies if they came from this site originally, but I really don't know where I got them from! Wigan World Hillclimb 2011 An afterthought; The TV series "Heartbeat" has just shown an episode featuring a 1935 Jaguar SS-90. In the link it's the third car back, white without headlights driven by Vernon Scripps in the white helmet. It's shown as SORNed by DVLC. SS-90 Edited by member, 22nd Jul 2017 11:06 pm
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
22 of 22  Sun 23rd Jul 2017 9:47am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5024

Telegraph article - Jaguar D-Type, third most expensive car ever

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 22 of 22 posts

Page 2 of 2