Next pageNo action
22 posts:
Order:    

K
Somewhere
All posts by this member
1 of 22  Thu 8th Dec 2011 6:56pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:568

OK folks, you appear to like quizzes, so here's one for you! What has this ticket to do with Coventry? It was a 'once only' event, and the date is significant.
Jaguar Car Racing
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
2 of 22  Thu 8th Dec 2011 8:07pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4468

Was it printed by Stadium Press (part of Charles Ochiltree's empire at Brandon)? Blush
Jaguar Car Racing
K
Somewhere
All posts by this member
3 of 22  Fri 9th Dec 2011 10:46am  

So no-one remembers! Oh my Well, I shall enlighten you! This is one of two tickets that I had for the one and only outing of Jaguar's return to saloon car racing, courtesy of Broadspeed. I went to Silverstone with some of our team a few days before the event, when we did a load of performance measurements, and it was my one and only drive on the Silverstone circuit. The race day was an unmitigated disaster, with both racing XJ12 Coupes suffering catastrophic mechanical failures. The lead driver was Derek Bell. One car suffered a fracture of the power steering pump driveshaft when someone turned the steering wheel with the car stationary; the pressure limiting valve had been disabled so as to cope with the much oversize tyres. As well as Jaguars, Broadspeed prepared two Dolomite Sprints, which did better than the Jaguars, but also failed miserably. After the expenditure of several million pounds, the experiment was hastily canned. There was some talk of suing Broadspeed afterwards, but it fizzled out. I should have some photographs of the event somewhere, if I can find them, and will post them if I do. I bet very few people remember the fiasco now! How's that for a bit of Coventry history? Cheers
Jaguar Car Racing
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
4 of 22  Fri 9th Dec 2011 11:02am  

Oh, the question was about the event ! I thought you were asking about the ticket Silly me ! Wink I take it the Jaguars and the Dolomites were Coventry-built?
Jaguar Car Racing
K
Somewhere
All posts by this member
5 of 22  Fri 9th Dec 2011 11:09am  

Well, if you consider Browns Lane and Tile Hill to be Coventry Wink , that's where they originated; they were modified at Broadspeed at Southam.
Jaguar Car Racing
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
6 of 22  Fri 9th Dec 2011 11:16am  

Thanks
Jaguar Car Racing
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
7 of 22  Fri 9th Dec 2011 2:17pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3044

As a fan of the original Triumph 1300, I never liked the Dolomite and even less the so-called "Sprint" version. They were trying to turn an upmarket commuter's car into a performance vehicle which it was never designed to be. By that time Triumph's idea of producing a "new car" was to tinker with the engine specification and stick a badge with a dfferent name onto an existing bodyshell which ultimately led to the total demise of the marque.
Jaguar Car Racing
K
Somewhere
All posts by this member
8 of 22  Fri 9th Dec 2011 2:34pm  

I had a Dolomite, and did like it, but the quality had gone. Quality control at Triumph seemed almost non-existent. Not only that, but the dealer line-up was awful. After a number of problems trying to get spares for the Dolomite, and witnessing a blazing row when someone was told that a top hose for his nearly new Jaguar Series II was no available as a spare, I decided to complain to JRT service about the service dept in Job's Lane. The person who answered said "You've come through on the internal phone - do you work for BL?" So I said yes, I was at Browns Lane. He then proceeded to tell me that they had so many complaints about Henlys Service that they had stopped logging them. So I asked why they were still BL main dealers. "They'd sell foreign competitors' cars." "Fine, let them mess up the competition then." To which he told me I shouldn't think like that. That was in 1977. And what happened to firstly the Job's Lane service centre, and later BL, eh? Triumph, like Alvis, Wolseley, Riley, later Daimler, didn't fit with BL internal politics and all the petty jealousies and rivalries in the organisation. And, of course, while all these people were busy with in-fighting, they couldn't see that the whole pack of cards was collapsing. On a slightly different slant, my wife and I spent an hour looking at all the info and photos on the GEC Telephone Works website this afternoon. We both worked there in the 1960s. A set of words came into both our minds. "Plot" "lost" "the" "someone" but not in that order. Demolition contractors must have made a mint out of it all. Sad
Jaguar Car Racing
K
Somewhere
All posts by this member
9 of 22  Fri 9th Dec 2011 3:46pm  

For your edification and delight, I have managed to find a photograph of the racing Jaguar driven by Derek Bell! It's not very sharp (partly because I had to photograph the slide) but here it is anyway. Note the enormous tyres. Enjoy! Big grin Cheers
Jaguar Car Racing
dreng21
coventry
All posts by this member
10 of 22  Wed 2nd Nov 2016 2:55pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2015  Total posts:8

The Jaguar Coup├ęs went on to compete in the 1977 European Touring Car Championship and kept setting fastest laps and pole positions and did go back to Silverstone for the Tourist Trophy race where Andy Rouse finished 4th. Main problems were lack of a dry sump oil installation which did happen by Silverstone {I think} and the rear wheel hubs whose bearing journals were not large enough, this was solved by Jaguar's Experimental Dept. sourcing new EN24 forgings machined with larger bearing diameters and fillet rolled by MIRA. That resolved that problem. Leyland's lack of faith that the cars would do the business the following year and the appointment of a new Competitions Director ended the project. They were BIG cars!
Jaguar Car Racing
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
11 of 22  Wed 2nd Nov 2016 5:10pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1536

Love those Broadspeed Jags - there's one at Gaydon
Jaguar Car Racing
dougie
from Wigan
All posts by this member
12 of 22  Fri 19th May 2017 11:06am  
Member: Joined Dec 2010  Total posts:198

This is a photo of the garage owner and friend that lived a few hundred yards from us, the garage is still there only under a different name Bob with his specially built lightweight E Type Jaguar. The car was built for the 1963 Le Mans 24 hour race. Top speed 190 mph. He was still racing in 1966, the year of the photo, at the age of 52.
Jaguar Car Racing
Earlsdon Kid
Argyll & Bute, Scotland
All posts by this member
13 of 22  Fri 19th May 2017 5:58pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2017  Total posts:13

I thought this article would be of interest. Dave ran a Jaguar service shop while I was living in Queensland and the article would have been about 2000 (from memory) before he sold up and retired. Norman Dewis had signed the racing number as mentioned in the article. I was in the same class at King Henry VIII as Normans' son and visited the Dewis farm mainly as a support for the band rehearsals we held there. My grandfather worked very closely with Norman Dewis at the Jaguar factory for many years particularly in the development years of the XJ series and the E-type. Great times! Edited by member, 19th May 2017 8:07 pm
Jaguar Car Racing
dougie
from Wigan
All posts by this member
14 of 22  Tue 18th Jul 2017 10:17pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2010  Total posts:198

Hi Earlsdon Kid. A follow up about the photo I uploaded of the E-Type Jaguar and Clive Unsworth. He also had a D-Type that was sold after his death. You may like to read this link - Clive's car is MWS303, number 16. This is from people that knew him and all his old cars (not me) Edited by member, 18th Jul 2017 10:28 pm
Jaguar Car Racing
mickw
nuneaton
All posts by this member
15 of 22  Wed 19th Jul 2017 9:58am  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:440

What a coincidence. I watched a programme called The World's Most Expensive Cars last week. They featured a Le Mans 24hour winning D type WWS 301, which sold at auction in America for $19,800,000 making it the most expensive British car sold at auction in America. Edited by member, 19th Jul 2017 10:07 am
Jaguar Car Racing

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 22 posts

Page 1 of 2

1 2
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry Hippodrome / Theatre
|

Next (newer) topic

Hawkesbury Church School
View similar topics in the Industry, Business and Work category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 63ms)