Next pageLast page
79 posts:
Order:    

Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
46 of 79  Tue 4th Apr 2017 3:17pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:659

While not entirely successful, I keep different systems on my laptop. I use Firefox with as much as possible turned off for general browsing. For other locations I keep Chrome and Explorer. Each has different settings. I use different email addresses for different levels of security. I'm even considering using my old laptop for browsing and junk mail and my new one for serious stuff.
Computer hacking
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
47 of 79  Tue 4th Apr 2017 7:23pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:839

On 4th Apr 2017 7:34am, Rob Orland said: Many thanks for the quick feedback McSporran, I've now found the same thing. The top level domain (https://www.historiccoventry.co.uk/) appears to be OK, but HTTPS doesn't seem to work for subdomains, like the forum, the family site, etc. I'll need to investigate this further. Cheers, Rob
The certificates used for https generally only refer to one domain. They do have a field for 'subject alternate name' so you might be able to buy one for your site that does multiple domains. It may be easier to just get another cert for the forum's URL.
Computer hacking
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
48 of 79  Tue 4th Apr 2017 8:11pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:856

Thanks for that. I've just contacted my hosting company about it, and the good news is that in the next few weeks they plan to extend https support for subdomains, too! Thumbs up
Computer hacking
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
49 of 79  Tue 4th Apr 2017 8:23pm  

On 4th Apr 2017 2:53pm, Heathite said: Well . . . I have to agree with another members comment, 'I hate computers'. They are a blessing and a curse. I have considered binning mine, mainly because I was caught up in fixing the bl***y thing most of the time. And what with all the advertising thrown at us, making us pay to receive their adverts. The cookies policy is simply to stalk us and follow up with custom targeted adverts. I know most of you will be thinking 'Victor Meldrew', but I won't be here much longer and you younger people will have to deal with a much developed situation along these lines. Rampant materialism here we come. As per usual, if my comments are deemed inappropriate then please feel free to delete. I often feel like a deleted entity anyway. I have managed to achieve 'invisiblity' when out and about. Smile
Hey, cheer up mate! Smile I know what you mean about computers though - I've always said that they're either your best friend or your worst enemy, with nothing in between! There's no doubting their usefulness when you need instant information though. And I know what you mean about advertising and cookies, they can be a pain in the wotsname, too! The Telegraph site is almost unusable nowadays with what feels like hours of adverts downloading before you get to see the content, which usually turns out to be a huge disappointment! But at least on this forum you won't get that - no advertising, and no intrusive cookies. The only cookie that's set is the last date you were on the forum, so you can see which topics are new since the last visit, plus whether you wish to remain logged in or not.
Computer hacking
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
50 of 79  Wed 5th Apr 2017 3:54am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3084

We are on the same wavelength, you and I, Heathite, and I did have a giggle at your comments, Victor Meldrew indeed. I have not seen him on a computer yet after watching repeat after repeat on his shows and still have a jolly good laugh. I wouldn't give up mine for the world as it steered me on to this fantastic Forum so I hope you will be with us for a long time yet. Just think if computers are here to stay they can only improve in time. Heavens I hope they do even for my sanity. As long as Rob hangs on to his I will be here clocking in no matter what comments are made by who or from. See you all in the morning. Wave Lol Lol
Computer hacking
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
51 of 79  Wed 5th Apr 2017 3:09pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2012  Total posts:328

Hi all. I hope you don't mind me sharing this with you. Remember I mentioned the cookie at the top of the scroll bar? Well here's an image for you to scrutinize I'm sure it isn't normal and it doesn't appear on other sites - yet. .
Computer hacking
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
52 of 79  Wed 5th Apr 2017 3:17pm  

I'll stop now. This may be too boring.
Computer hacking
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
53 of 79  Wed 5th Apr 2017 4:42pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1048

It looks as if you are running Adblock Plus on your machine Heathite. I do too but have it switched off for HCF as there are no ads to block. Perhaps it is that which is causing a glitch on your computer.
Computer hacking
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
54 of 79  Wed 5th Apr 2017 5:45pm  

Thanks pixrobin. I am running adblock. So I tried disabling adblock. Here's what happens, after disabling it, I tried to make the cookie appear, it did not. I then enabled adblock and the cookie reappeared. It usually appears when I click on a subsequent page or a previous page. So if I have a page open with many pages 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. and then click either forward or backward, then the cookie appears. It doesn't always appear from a fresh log on. But all that may be history now. The following is with adblock disabled . . . If you see the image it will show you that the scroll bar is corrupted (triplicated), but once I run the cursor over it, it corrects itself. So - no cookie monster - but a temporarily triplicated scroll bar. After you pointing out that the site is ad-free I shall keep adblock disabled. Thanks again for your help.
Computer hacking
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
55 of 79  Sun 23rd Apr 2017 6:09pm  

On 4th Apr 2017 7:23pm, flapdoodle said:
On 4th Apr 2017 7:34am, Rob Orland said: The top level domain (https://www.historiccoventry.co.uk/) appears to be OK, but HTTPS doesn't seem to work for subdomains, like the forum, the family site, etc. I'll need to investigate this further....
The certificates used for https generally only refer to one domain. They do have a field for 'subject alternate name' so you might be able to buy one for your site that does multiple domains. It may be easier to just get another cert for the forum's URL.
Great news on the "security" front - I've just been notified by this site's hosting company that HTTPS has now been enabled on subdomains, so the forum can now be accessed with https://forum.historiccoventry.co.uk/ as well as the usual "http://..." URL. Thumbs up
Computer hacking
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
56 of 79  Sun 23rd Apr 2017 6:18pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:839

yup, it's working. I imagine they're using wildcards in the SAN. I had a similar problem on a project where we were securing IoT devices using digital certs using 2 way TLS.
Computer hacking
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
57 of 79  Sun 23rd Apr 2017 6:24pm  

Hi all, can anyone help or advise with this alert? Thank you.
Computer hacking
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
58 of 79  Sun 23rd Apr 2017 6:26pm  

I think you're some way ahead of me regarding the IT & networking side of things Flapdoodle. I've learned how to build a website and plonk some words and pictures onto your screens using HTML, CSS, MySQL, PHP & a smattering of JavaScript, but I have very little knowledge of the server-side of things and didn't even understand half of what you've mentioned above! Wink Lol
Computer hacking
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
59 of 79  Sun 23rd Apr 2017 6:28pm  

On 23rd Apr 2017 6:24pm, Heathite said: Hi all, can anyone help or advise with this alert?
I'm pretty certain that it'll be safe to "allow" Heathite, but I'll enquire to make sure all the same. Thumbs up
Computer hacking
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
60 of 79  Sun 23rd Apr 2017 6:39pm  

Hi Rob, and thank you for that. Maybe my antivirus is over-eager, I don't know. Does anyone remember last week when the mail wasn't working? The next day, I think, Microsoft released a fairly big set of security updates, then the mail problem went away. I went into the 02 shop for advice because even though I did the usual 'fix' for solving the mail problem it still didn't work. Namely- I delete my email account from my phone and then reactivated it. This usually solves it, but last week it did not. 02 advised me to install a Yahoo app and go through there. Does he know that Yahoo is more secure than Bt? The man in a white hat is a bigger crook than the man in a black hat, but don't quote me.
Computer hacking

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 46 to 60 of 79 posts

Page 4 of 6

1 2 3 4 5 6
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Our Kaga
|

Next (newer) topic

Forum Breakfast Meet-ups
View similar topics in the News, Media and Current Affairs category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5

This is your first visit to my website today, thank you!

Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 71ms)