Next pageLast page
162 posts:
Order:    

Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
46 of 162  Sun 6th Oct 2013 7:02pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1075

Me too, it's a right pain in the behind! Once your email address gets on to a list like that, then it's unfortunately going to be SPAM with everything for a while. As annoying as those emails are though, at least they can't actually harm us, and it takes but one second to press the [Delete] key on your keyboard.
Computer hacking, malware and viruses
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
47 of 162  Sun 6th Oct 2013 8:09pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2262

That's providing you don't open them as once you open an email it can hide trojan virus and phishing virus and other unwanted malware these could include links which you should always copy and paste into your address bar instead of directly clicking on them.
woodford
coventry
All posts by this member
48 of 162  Sun 6th Oct 2013 10:51pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2013  Total posts:172

On 6th Oct 2013 7:02pm, Rob Orland said: As annoying as those emails are though, at least they can't actually harm us, and it takes but one second to press the [Delete] key on your keyboard.
That's true! Just sharing my moans!! Wave
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
49 of 162  Mon 7th Oct 2013 3:45am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2896

Does it make it worse if you 'Bounce' the blighters back ?
Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
50 of 162  Mon 7th Oct 2013 4:20am  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:454

Yes.. if you bounce it back, the spammer knows that there is a live target at your end..
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
51 of 162  Mon 7th Oct 2013 9:57am  

Thanks Mike, of course, I should have realised that. I have not done it yet, so I won't! Wave
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
52 of 162  Wed 9th Oct 2013 7:12pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:460

Could I just reiterate the message not to bounce back spam. Several years ago I worked with someone who had been taught to reply to anybody who wrote to him (politeness). Unfortunately he did this with Spam emails saying he wasn't interested and please don't write to him again. This had the opposite effect so his active mailbox became valuable and within six months he was getting swamped out with Spam (sometimes over 50 a day) each of which he was still replying to. If it had been his private account he could have just closed it and moved somewhere else but as it was a company account we ended up freezing it for several months while it all died down. It is also worth remembering that many "Out of Office" or "Away" will also send replies to Spam!, so only use them if you have to. Sorry to sound so serious but I am often at the pointy end of the problems this causes.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
53 of 162  Thu 10th Oct 2013 2:58am  

All advice gratefully received Old Linc. thank you. Wave
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
54 of 162  Thu 10th Oct 2013 8:14pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
55 of 162  Thu 17th Oct 2013 6:12pm  

The latest one The British National Lottery Commission. Has anybody else received one of those? Grrrr!!! Oh my
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
56 of 162  Thu 17th Oct 2013 6:24pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3033

I've only had one email so far which specifically mentions Historic Coventry. There's been nothing to suggest the others have anything to do with the leak. In fact I get far more unwanted posts to email accounts I have never used to access Historic Coventry.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
57 of 162  Wed 14th May 2014 4:19pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4598

PayPal and financial malware

I've noticed recently a number of tv adverts extolling the virtues of PayPal I have to say I find it excellent and easy to use, particularly as an eBay buyer and seller - and they don't seem to be a faceless organisation, as their telephone customer service section, which I had the need to use recently, dealt quickly and smoothly with a matter which required attention If any members are unsure about using PayPal, I can definitely recommend them, particularly for those who make regular on-line purchases Now for a warning - I have recently received two emails, purporting to (and looking as if they did) come from PayPal - one was to inform me that there was a hold on my account, and the other that a transaction had failed to be paid Both asked me to log in to my PayPal account using links they gave - this flashed lights and blew whistles with me! Angry I knew I hadn't used PayPal for a couple of weeks, so I did log in - using my own bookmarked link - and of course I found that there were no problems or hold-ups on my account Clearly, these emails were spam, endeavouring to obtain the log-in details for my account So, those of you who do use PayPal, and any of you who join up in the future - be well aware of such activity, and only log in from a tried and trusted link, and not from one emailed to you, whatever message it may be showing Oh my Take care Thumbs up
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
58 of 162  Wed 14th May 2014 11:28pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3865

Hi & thank you for that. Wave I too received the emails, but my AVG marked them as SPAM. I deleted them, but notified PayPal via ebay, to which I received an acknowledgement. I knew that my PayPal was ok as I had paid a supplier only two days before & like you, I independently went into my account. Again, thank you for that warning, that I should have had the sense to post. Brill! Thumbs up ps Also, like you, I enjoy the security of PayPal, which is not a mickey-mouse affair. It is an encrypted interchange, which is so hard to crack, that "Spammers" target the weak end, which is usually you & me.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
59 of 162  Thu 15th May 2014 9:12am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3865

In further response to this very serious subject, I have copied part of my reply from Paypal for you all to see. It gives good general sense info. "A. How do I know if an email is from PayPal? Phishing emails are fake emails that attempt to collect your personal and financial information. These fake emails often link to illegitimate (spoof) websites that encourage you to enter personal information credit card numbers, passport or driver's licence number, and account passwords). You'll know that an email is not from PayPal when: • The email uses a generic greeting like 'Dear user' or 'Hello, PayPal member.' (We always address you by the name on your PayPal account.) • The email requests personal/financial details, such as your bank account or card numbers, your full name, your account password or the answers to your PayPal security questions. • The email includes an attachment, a software update to install on your computer. If you think you've received a phishing email, forward it to spoof@paypal.co.uk. Then delete the fake email from your inbox. If this didn't help you, please reply to this email with as much information as possible and we'll do our best to get back to you as soon as we can. Otherwise, to call us, go to www.paypal.com/uk/contactus and click the 'Call Us' tab."
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
60 of 162  Sun 18th May 2014 6:47pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1542

May I just offer a gentle reminder to anyone using or accessing any of the following services they should ensure that they change their passwords following the Heartbleed virus that was revealed recently. Social Networks Facebook Instagram Pinterest Tumblr Twitter Google Yahoo Email Gmail Yahoo Mail Stores and Commerce PayPal Etsy GoDaddy Videos, Photos, Games & Entertainment Flickr Minecraft Netflix SoundCloud YouTube Financial American Funds Venmo Other Box Dropbox GitHub IFTTT OKCupid Wikipedia Wordpress Wunderlist … and no, I don't know what they all are either! Cheers

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 46 to 60 of 162 posts

Page 4 of 11

1 2 3 4 5 . 7 8 9 10 11
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Coventry-built Cars
|

Next (newer) topic

Albert F Lines
View similar topics in the Computer hints and tips category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 82ms)