Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4272

Warning to Internet banking users
Computer hacking
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
2 of 77  Wed 14th Oct 2015 9:04am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4034

Hi & thank you for that Midland Red, Wave Whether we bank on line or not, software that access our computer info, can obtain bank details from our trading records, so even if as me where my current accounts are not on-line, there is always risk. Home computers are a soft target Sad as so much of what we do is not encrypted, as official banking stuff is or should be. There used to be a saying of not putting our eggs all into one basket, yet, of the millions of people in the UK with bank accounts, the vast majority, only have one bank. Just as our social lives are often separate from our work or business lives, so to, we could separate our banking in the same way. Cannot say anymore on that, but there is a hint. Best wishes all. ps A scam used is often purporting to be your internet provider, or your email carrier, where they ask you to update your account. The simple lesson, is that they will never ever ask you to do that, so if you do update, what you are doing is giving open house to your details. Sky & Yahoo email have been targeted in this way recently. If someone calls at your front door & you don't know them, you don't let them in. The same should be for emails. Simple. The snag is that it is not always as simple, as we are often taken in by plausible stories & excuses, like your tiles are loose off your roof. Email is little different.
Computer hacking
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 77  Wed 14th Oct 2015 10:29am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1678

Another common scam is sending you an email which thanks you for your "purchase" and attaching your "receipt". Many people would wonder what on earth they had purchased recently and double-click the attachment to see. Although this is a natural reaction - DON'T OPEN IT. More often than not it will simply contain code that installs a virus - probably without telling you it's just done it, enabling the virus to record any details entered from your keyboard which will be everything you type, not just bank login and password information!
Computer hacking
Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
4 of 77  Wed 14th Oct 2015 3:58pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:568

On 14th Oct 2015 8:34am, Midland Red said: Warning to Internet banking users
There is a line on that website.. "Infects a computer when user opens seemingly legitimate email document" If computer users would or could just let curiosity NOT get the better of them, they would be quite safe. Look at the email domain before opening email from business and people from whom you do not normally receive email. It is NOT rocket science. Roll eyes
Computer hacking
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
5 of 77  Fri 23rd Oct 2015 9:56pm  

On 14th Oct 2015 8:34am, Midland Red said: Warning to Internet banking users
Hi all Wave I have already posted a reply to this timely post by Midland Red & with Cyber Crime high in our news just now, with Talk-Talk, a further look might be helpful. The real villain in all of this is our loss of our personal identity. Ignoring bank accounts, our name, address & date of birth are fundamental. With that info, I can then pretend to be you. No, I could not go along and withdraw cash from your account, but I could try to open a loan account, using your identity, instead of mine. Now I know that it is not quite as easy for me to do as that, as I lack the IT skills that might make that much easier, but you will get the drift of how this can all go so horribly wrong. Also, if I walk into any high street bank branch they would soon suss me out, but on-line, would they, especially if their last known address is in Bangalore? Cyber crime tends to be a volume event, where a criminals computer is used to hack a soft commercial target, where the info is not encrypted or where the trader has ceased trading. The Co-op in Coventry comes to mind right now, for example. Any Co-op member has their identity tied up with their membership, the A.A, R.A.C & so on, like-wise. Few of us are immune to this. What we can do to help ourselves, apart from not giving our details away to anyone that we do not know, is to make sure that any bank account that we do have that can be used for making payments, is checked regularly, at least once a month. If you don't understand the statement, please seek help from your most trusted relative or friend. Please don't be ashamed if you do not fully understand your bank statement. Many a junior accounts clerk has struggled on that subject. Don't just look at the bottom line, or the summary page that often comes with your statement. If you do find an unidentified item on the statement, going in or out, talk to your bank immediately. The other kind of cyber crime which I am least qualified to talk about, is where your or my computer has become host to a virus plant. So that unwittingly, personal data is being extracted every time we are on line. Maybe our IT wise members would like to comment & make suggestions here. Other than using virus protection software that is constantly self-updated, I have nothing else to offer on that. I do hope this is helpful & as Nick Ross used to say at the end of his program, "please do not have nightmares", & as I say, please just check your bank statements each month.
Computer hacking
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
6 of 77  Sun 25th Oct 2015 9:44am  
Member: Joined Oct 2014  Total posts:976

On radio yesterday lunchtime. All who pay Talk Talk by direct debit are at risk as Talk Talks computers holding customers bank details have been hacked. It was also mentioned that TT knew they had been hacked at least 36 hours before the released the information to customers.
Just old and knackered

Computer hacking
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
7 of 77  Sun 25th Oct 2015 10:42am  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:855

From what I heard on the news, Talk-Talk were attacked by an old established hackers' trick called "SQL injection" - this happens to be the method they used over two years ago when they hacked into our forum and stole our list of email addresses, causing many of us to receive all sorts of rogue spam. After that, however, I spent a lot of time learning how to protect against it, and I'm pleased to say that not one attacker has managed to break through since. In fact, one or two members have been caught out when uploading images containing suspicious filenames! Hopefully, even if a hacker were to gain access to our member database, they wouldn't be able to make any sense of your email addresses, as they're all stored in encoded form. As a challenge, here's an example of an email address.... PT1RYnZObUxrRldab2RXYWlCMGNuOUdiakpYWjJWR2JqVm1idlJHYnNWMmQ I'll happily buy a full breakfast for any member who can decipher this! Big grin Thumbs up
Computer hacking
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
8 of 77  Sun 25th Oct 2015 10:57am  
Off-topic / chat  

MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
9 of 77  Sun 25th Oct 2015 11:04am  
Off-topic / chat  

Wimero
Nr Rugby
All posts by this member
10 of 77  Sun 25th Oct 2015 11:34am  
Off-topic / chat  

Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
11 of 77  Sun 25th Oct 2015 3:54pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
12 of 77  Sun 25th Oct 2015 4:14pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Wimero
Nr Rugby
All posts by this member
13 of 77  Tue 27th Oct 2015 6:42am  
Member: Joined Mar 2015  Total posts:151

Don't worry Kaga. It's said that it's better to be skint and happy rather than loaded and miserable Happy
Computer hacking
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
14 of 77  Tue 27th Oct 2015 9:56am  

I tell you what, I do not appreciate the quality & skills that our forum has at its head. I am in awe of the technical skills that keep our forum running. Thumbs up
Computer hacking
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
15 of 77  Tue 27th Oct 2015 11:42am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3086

I don't know about other members on this Forum but I feel very confident in the security status that it holds and the good advice given. So a big THANK YOU to one and all Wave
Computer hacking

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 77 posts

Page 1 of 6

1 2 3 4 5 6
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Our Kaga
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry Speedway
View similar topics in the News, Media and Current Affairs category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 66ms)