161 posts:
Order:    

Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 161  Wed 21st Aug 2013 12:43pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:937

So sorry - our forum has been hacked!

Huge apologies to all members who tried to use this forum this morning. Unfortunately a hacker, apparently with a Russian IP address, uploaded a virus to the site, so the hosting company, who are thankfully very vigilant, took it offline for a few hours to clear the problem. If anyone's posts have gone missing during that time, please be understanding - I'll be doing my best to plug any holes that could be taken advantage of by hackers in future. Ironically I watched a "Horizon" TV programme last night, which was all about dealing with hackers - what were the chances of us being hit by the very same illness the next day!! Thanks again for your patience, and best wishes to you all, Rob
Computer hacking, malware and viruses
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
2 of 161  Wed 21st Aug 2013 3:58pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2866

NO APOLOGIES NEEDED ROB, WE ARE WITH YOU ALL THE WAY. Big grin Wave Thumbs up
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
3 of 161  Wed 21st Aug 2013 4:55pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3824

Hi all Wave It is a fact that people, no matter from where they are or come from, fall into one of two groups, those who contribute & those who take way. I know what group our team & members fall into. Thumbs up
Beesman
Cornwall
All posts by this member
4 of 161  Wed 21st Aug 2013 6:26pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2012  Total posts:366

I've never understood what hackers are all about. What possible thrill does anyone get from sending a virus to our site??? They are indeed very sad, lowlife individuals. Sad
gangan
Stockton, Southam
All posts by this member
5 of 161  Wed 21st Aug 2013 7:50pm  
Member: Joined May 2012  Total posts:126

I am a man of few words so I could use only two on the hackers. No prizes for guessing what they are. (If you think this offensive, please remove the post.)
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
6 of 161  Wed 21st Aug 2013 9:17pm  

That could make a good guessing game actually.... then we'd soon find out how capable we all are of being offensive! Oh my Wink
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
7 of 161  Wed 21st Aug 2013 9:31pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4383

Can I make a stab at the second word? I think it's formed of three letters, the last two of which are the same Oh my Oh, and the first letter may well be a vowel Happy
woodford
coventry
All posts by this member
8 of 161  Wed 21st Aug 2013 9:55pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2013  Total posts:175

Beesman, I think that hackers are the same as vandals in the street - they enjoy spoiling things for other people Roll eyes
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
9 of 161  Wed 21st Aug 2013 11:34pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2311

A camel's hump is an ugly lump as well as you see at the zoo, but uglier yet is the hump that you get from having too little to do.
woodford
coventry
All posts by this member
10 of 161  Thu 22nd Aug 2013 4:41pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2013  Total posts:175

Nicely said, morgana! Big grin
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
11 of 161  Fri 23rd Aug 2013 10:08am  
Off-topic / chat  

Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
12 of 161  Sat 24th Aug 2013 11:56am  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:444

A friend of mine who runs a site very similar to this one was hacked several times last year (from mainly Russian ip addresses). He asked members to do two things. 1. To ensure that their anti virus is up to date and working. Some people switch it off, particularly on old PCs, when browsing "safe sites" - there's no such thing. 2. Not to have their browsers open on any other websites when on his site - I realise this is quite awkward particularly when copying links etc Since then he has had no further problems - at least, not yet!
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
13 of 161  Tue 1st Oct 2013 7:31pm  

I can only apologise to any member of this forum who has received SPAM emails as a result of the hacking we suffered a few weeks ago. It's my guess that this sudden deluge, which started today, is a direct result of our database being broken into by the Russian hacker. One fortunate thing is that our email addresses are all they will get, and no financial or personal details are held. So, although it's a genuine nuisance, at least no actual harm will occur - apart from perhaps a rolling pin across the head by any wife seeing the email from "Miss Jane" and grabbing the wrong end of the stick! Wink (Or worse still, the right end of the wrong stick!) Oh my Meanwhile, if anyone has any sterling advice on how to prevent such emails, beyond the usual setting up of filters for particular addresses or subject key words, please feel free to share here.
mayjan
Green Lane,Coventry
All posts by this member
14 of 161  Tue 1st Oct 2013 7:45pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2010  Total posts:263

Ha ha Rob, just checked my emails and lo and behold Miss Jane has contacted me. Wink I could see straight away it was spam, but was wondering about the Historic Coventry mention. Completely forget that you had been hacked a while ago. I quite often get spam from foreigners and I think they mistake me for a man, being Jan lol. I of course deleted the email and was glad to see your post on the site, thanks Rob. Thumbs up
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
15 of 161  Tue 1st Oct 2013 7:57pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3074

On 1st Oct 2013 7:31pm, Rob Orland said: One fortunate thing is that our email addresses are all they will get, and no financial or personal details are held.
What about members' passwords Rob, are they encrypted so that anyone who hacks the site still can't read them? *Some people may use the same password for other sites.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 161 posts

Page 1 of 11

1 2 3 4 5 . 7 8 9 10 11
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

New Cathedral of St Michael
|

Next (newer) topic

Record and music shops in the city
View similar topics in the Computer hints and tips category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 99ms)