Next pageLast page
46 posts:
Order:    

morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
1 of 46  Thu 15th Dec 2011 11:08pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2259

Can anyone tell me if its true, I've heard it is said that attire is being made to cover up Lady Godiva for the Olympics to hide her nakedness, in order not to offend.
Olympics in Coventry
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
2 of 46  Thu 15th Dec 2011 11:32pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3021

It's not for the Broadgate statue Morgana, it's a giant carnival puppet being made for a London procession. The local media wheel the story out at intervals when they have nothing else to report. Personally I find the increasingly desperate attempts to somehow link Coventry with the London Olympics a huge embarrassment.
Olympics in Coventry
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
3 of 46  Thu 15th Dec 2011 11:47pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2259

Wave Thank you Dutchman Smile I fully agree with you on embarrassment, also so happy with it not being the one in Broadgate, Thumbs up how by dressing a puppet of her be Lady Godiva, money making scam again to make money for the designers and dress makers, methinks, at the ridicule of our town's heritage. Sad
Olympics in Coventry
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 46  Fri 16th Dec 2011 7:46am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1547

I must admit the headline attracted my attention for exactly the same reason. It was just the way they worded it - purely to draw the eye - so I guess the writer did their job! However, Dutchman is absolutely correct - it is "Imagineer Productions" (who performed an amazing show in the square outside cathedral/university a few years ago) who are making a huge costume to cover the frame of the giant "Godiva" (although how the heck several cyclists are going to pedal it down to London is beyond me!) I have some photos of their last performance - it was incredible, I'll try and find them.
Olympics in Coventry
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 46  Fri 16th Dec 2011 10:07am  

Here's a couple of photographs taken in the University Square at a joint Imagineer/Kinetica Production for the UK Childrens Games in 2007. You can see from these pics the sheer size of the "puppets" that are being controlled by the operators. I guess the "Godiva" is going to be larger than these. I wrote this at the time.... "Both Imagineer and Kinetica work with professional and community based performers harnessing the skills of particularly young people in work of the highest quality that celebrates and promotes community cohesion. For those that were unable to make it to the event, you missed an absolutely spectacular display. Even from behind the camera the effort that every single person put in was truly amazing" Brilliant! Thumbs up Post moved from topic Lady Godiva by Midland Red, 4th Nov 2013 4:58 pm
Olympics in Coventry
K
Somewhere
All posts by this member
6 of 46  Fri 16th Dec 2011 11:04am  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:567

Hmm, however spectacular, it looks more like Notting Hill Carnival than Coventry to me, but then, didn't Lady Godiva ride through Rio on the back of llama, or something like that?
Olympics in Coventry
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
7 of 46  Sun 1st Jul 2012 7:34pm  

The Olympic Flame arrived in Coventry this afternoon, this is it's journey down Kenpas Highway, before arriving at the War Memorial Park
Olympics in Coventry
BrotherJoybert
Coventry
All posts by this member
8 of 46  Sun 1st Jul 2012 8:01pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:119

In the park and flame lit video What a great occasion at the Memorial Park! Estimated 20,000 watching - all very positive for Coventry Thumbs up
Olympics in Coventry
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
9 of 46  Sun 1st Jul 2012 9:08pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4662

Watching paint dry seems a much more attractive proposition to me Oh my
Olympics in Coventry
Harrier
Coventry
All posts by this member
10 of 46  Sun 1st Jul 2012 9:17pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:148

I do find it a little sad that an opportunity was missed by not giving every leg of the local journey of the Olympic Flame to the citizens of Coventry. Also the crowds, the enthusiasm and the interest was large enough to afford an extension of the route by a mile or so, to offer many more ordinary people of the city a once in a life time experience.
Olympics in Coventry
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
11 of 46  Sun 1st Jul 2012 10:04pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1638

I was at the Memorial this evening. I was suprised how many were there. Overall a good event and a good way to get over the disappointment of the festival. I was though a bit miffed when I learnt that between the stages the flame was carried on a bus! And agreed Harrier - what the heck was the footballer Kanu doing taking the flame to the Park gates? Roll eyes I just hope a deserved Coventry sportsperson like Dave Moorcroft is involved in the morning. Hats off to whoever is organising the relay though.
Olympics in Coventry
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
12 of 46  Sun 1st Jul 2012 10:12pm  

Great photos BrotherJoybert, really reflect the excitement of the occasion! Thumbs up Neil and Harrier, couldn't agree more that the carrier of the torch should have been local - although this seems to be an issue in all areas that it visits - although Neil, I guess if they had run/walked all the way in between "stops" they would still be running at Christmas! Big grin
Olympics in Coventry
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
13 of 46  Mon 2nd Jul 2012 7:47am  

.... and leaving from Millennium Place this morning ... ... the torches "kiss" in Broadgate ... And considering the time of the morning - what a fantastic turnout!! Thumbs up
Olympics in Coventry
BrotherJoybert
Coventry
All posts by this member
14 of 46  Mon 2nd Jul 2012 1:57pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:119

Thanks for the above pics - very pleasing to see that the celebrations continued this morning with crowds to match. Thumbs up The big cheer - video clip Another video from yesterday - Twist and Pulse did a stint on stage and ended it with the above. Gives some indication of the numbers that attended. Have just watched the kids get their hands on the torch on Binley Road Lol - nice piece on Central news just now.
Olympics in Coventry
Tricia
Bedworth
All posts by this member
15 of 46  Mon 2nd Jul 2012 2:48pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2011  Total posts:537

Thanks Brother Joybert and Tony for the photos and video - much appreciated. Cheers
Olympics in Coventry

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 46 posts

Page 1 of 4

1 2 3 4
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Black Pad and Tin Lizzy
|

Next (newer) topic

Windmill Road Cemetery map
View similar topics in the Sport, Music and Leisure category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 17th December 2017  (Load time: 239ms)