No actionNo action
4 posts:
Order:    

Genghis Smith
Ireland
All posts by this member
1 of 4  Sun 28th Nov 2010 5:06pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:69

I was wondering if anybody could help to identify this coin. It is just smaller in diameter than a 1p piece and has a smooth, or worn-down edge. Not sure of the wording, maybe: A COVENTRY HALF PENNY 1669 - although the word HALF doesn't seem to carry. A works token, maybe? Thanks in advance.
Coventry collectables
GlynD
Exmouth
All posts by this member
2 of 4  Wed 8th Dec 2010 6:30pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2010  Total posts:8

It is a HALFE penny token. Take a look at this link and you will see a similar one with the same date. Tokens were issued by many cities to supplement the low value coinage in circulation. I have seen 1792 specimens with the 'Elephant & Castle' and Lady Godiva, but didn't know of such an early one as yours. Nice!
Coventry collectables
Foxcote
Warwick
All posts by this member
3 of 4  Wed 31st Oct 2012 3:40pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:929

I was reading a book by John Ashby today and it was explaining about 'tokens', I found two pages of lovely ones on a museum site and will enjoy relating them to the companies and people inscribed on them. Coventry Tokens Oh, there's hundreds of 'em on e-bay, can't stop looking now Roll eyes More Coventry Tokens
Coventry collectables
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
4 of 4  Mon 7th Dec 2015 9:18pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:259

Although I had known about Goss china for many years I had not seen this crested china with the then Coventry coat of arms. I understand that it is now of little value but I thought this collection was of interest to Coventrians. It sold at auction in Grantham and although my great aunt's sitting room there was filled with Goss china on a stand in spite of their close connections with my family in Coventry I do not recall one with the Coventry crest. When great-uncle died in 1981 I would have been sure to have saved it had it been there. Edited by member, 8th Dec 2015 9:16 am
Coventry collectables

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Old coaching roads
|

Next (newer) topic

Music Teachers and Lessons
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 204ms)