No actionNo action
13 posts:
Order:    

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
1 of 13  Sat 2nd Jan 2016 10:03pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4895

Just had a great time watching another repeat of "An audience with Ken Dodd" for the umpteenth time, and it never fails to please (Only sad thing is trying to spot members of the audience who are still alive) Oh my Doddy is still touring, at the ripe old age of 88 - he's in Leamington later this month If anyone books to see him, don't rely on public transport for getting home, as it will not be running by the time the show finishes! Wink Sad to see he's again been overlooked by the honours system Sad
Non-Coventry - Comedy / Comedians
Janey
Keresley
All posts by this member
2 of 13  Sun 3rd Jan 2016 11:33am  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:155

Oh Midland Red, I could have written exactly the same words as you have done! Yes, it was quite difficult trying to work out who was still alive in that audience. We were trying to work out the year of the show. Must have been the late 70's perhaps? We went to see Doddy when we stayed at Butlins in 1978. The show started at around 7.30 and we didn't get out until 1 o'clock! He is notorious for not ending on time, but what a comedian. How does he remember all the gags!
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
3 of 13  Sun 3rd Jan 2016 12:09pm  

1994, I think, Janey - he did "another" one in 2002 Big grin
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 13  Sun 3rd Jan 2016 3:42pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1311

Ditto to all above - we also really enjoyed seeing An Audience with Ken Dodd (again!) last night. We were also playing the "what year do you think it was done" game, and had guessed the mid to late 1980s, but were surprised when I deciphered the Roman numerals after the credits and found it was 1994. I don't think half the audience are around now though, sadly. Anyway, let's hope for plenty of "glue skies" in 2016 !!! Thumbs up
Janey
Keresley
All posts by this member
5 of 13  Thu 22nd Feb 2018 1:15pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:155

Last week my husband and I went to see Jim Davidson at Bedworth Civic Hall. The last time we actually went to one of his performances was many many years ago when he would have been in his twenties. At that time he was hilariously funny and had my young sons in stitches. What a different story today. I don’t consider myself a prude, but I almost felt embarrassed by some of his jokes. There were some funny moments, but on the whole his jokes were about sex in very intimate detail, and every other word seemed to be the F word. Most of the audience were elderly, and I wonder if they felt the same as I did. No wonder I preferred the Two Ronnies; there were no smutty jokes and only the slightest innuendo. What has happened to proper comedy?
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
6 of 13  Thu 22nd Feb 2018 4:25pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3966

Hello Janey, I was with friends yesterday in the Tea & Chat tea room, Nuneaton, where we overheard a conversation amounting to the same state of affairs regards the same performance. Thank you so much for sharing.
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
7 of 13  Fri 23rd Feb 2018 9:05am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:413

Agreed, Janey. A few years ago we went to a late night performance at the Comedy Store in London, the training ground for all comedians, albeit a baptism of fire with hecklers, some of whom were the worse for alcohol. Andy Parsons and Jimmy Carr were on - they were funny. That was before they became well-known on TV. A Canadian bloke then came on stage, a pint of beer in one hand, and a fag in the other. He seemed to think that using the f word every 3 or 4 words was funny. He wasn't remotely funny, and I hadn't got clue what he was on about. Boring to be precise. Someone heckled Jimmy Carr, and Carr really put him down in the most offensive way, using language which cannot be repeated here. If I'd used the heckle put down he used, when I was on stage, I would have expected to have had the bloke punch my face out in the car park!
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
8 of 13  Fri 23rd Feb 2018 10:18am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2068

Janey, my wife and I went to a show in Brighton many years ago - the comedian was Jim Davidson, his jokes were downright disgusting and filthy. This was a dance-cum-live comedian interval, worse than barrack room jokes - we walked out long before the end.
mattash
Rugby
All posts by this member
9 of 13  Fri 23rd Feb 2018 3:00pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:617

Quite a lot of so-called comedians resort to foul language. I'm old fashioned I know, a good true comedian does not have to. Ken Dodd springs to mind. I could always take him or leave him in the past, however, last year I booked a couple of seats at the theatre in Skegness and stayed the night b&b just down the road. Just as well I did. The show started at 7.30 due to finish at 10pm. We were chucked out at just turned midnight and I enjoyed every minute of it. I will certainly book again before he passes on. At 90 he's a wonder, all jokes off cuff and clean. Some jokes you know the meaning of but no swearing. Now that IS a comedian. Wave
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
10 of 13  Fri 23rd Feb 2018 4:50pm  

Hear hear! Cheers Thumbs up From the Comedy Carpet, Blackpool (courtesy Sir Kenneth Arthur Dodd)
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
11 of 13  Fri 23rd Feb 2018 10:23pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:516

Could Ken Dodd be getting more merciful as he gets older? Chucked out at midnight? We lived at one time close to Skeggy and went to a Doddy performance about 12/13 years ago, he informed us he had locked the doors and I think it was nearer 1am when we "escaped".
Billybobs
South Warwickshire
All posts by this member
12 of 13  Fri 23rd Feb 2018 10:29pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:27

On 23rd Feb 2018 10:18am, Kaga simpson said: Janey, my wife and I went to a show in Brighton many years ago - the comedian was Jim Davidson, his jokes were downright disgusting and filthy. This was a dance-cum-live comedian interval, worse than barrack room jokes - we walked out long before the end.
Kaga, your recollection brought back memories of a story my parents would often tell. They too saw Davidson on the south coast, possibly at Brighton also (perhaps the same year), they were staying with friends at the same hotel as the 'comedian' and his entourage. After the show, they went to the hotel bar, when later Davidson arrived and seeing the group asked if they had been to the show and did they enjoy. Like yourselves my parents and their friends were disgusted and told him so, Davidson's response allegedly consisted of a series of expletives ... says it all!!
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
13 of 13  Mon 26th Feb 2018 7:01pm  

Good news today from Knotty Ash is that Sir Kenneth Arthur Dodd is being released from hospital tomorrow after spending more than six weeks there suffering from a serious chest infection Word is that he has made good progress but there is still a long haul ahead to full recovery

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

You know when you've got old
|

Next (newer) topic

Sorry state (non-Cov)
You are viewing topics in the Non-Coventry category